Edward Cullen bringing sexy back since 1901 -- Team Edward#3

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Edward Cullen bringing sexy back since 1901 -- Team Edward#3

Post by diane771 »

Edward didn't read peoples thoughts he actually heard them.

It makes Edward a stronger force, not only does he have the strenght and abilities of a vampire, he now has one that most vampires do not even have or know of. It helps him deal with enemies as well as the innocent ones, like Reneesmee. if he did not hear her, she might have been killed at birth. Able to know what the Volitare was up to, is good and being able to hear the wolves also has advantages also in communicating with them.
Edward must have been aware of people and their feelings in his human life, a compassionate man that could be seen beyond the facial surface. He was able to pick up on the inner thoughts of a person.

quote="Angelvamp"]Why do you think that Edward has the ability fo read people's thoughts ?
Do you mean:
1. How did he aquire the ability to read people's thoughts?
or
2. Why is it important for the character Edward to read people's thoughts?

In the case of #1, I think it was a latent talent that was augmented by his transformation into a vampire. He probably had a "sixth sense" about what people were thinking already, without putting much stock in his ability or even recognizing he had an ability at all. Like how Bella could block his mind reading as a human and became an incredibly strong shield after becoming a vampire. In fact, Charlie probably would have a strong shielding ability if he were to be transformed - as evidenced by Edward's difficulty in reading his thoughts.

As for #2, it's anyone's guess. It would make things more interesting and give an added supernatural (as if we needed more!) dimension to the character.[/quote]
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

'twahy-lahyt' - Team Edward can never get enough members. Welcome back. I think I probably wasn't here the last time you were. But I'm Trine, by the way.

If Edward had been born in a different time period, say like the 60's or 70's do you think he'd still be the wonderful, sweet, romantic, unselfish gentleman that he is?
This is a very difficult question. It's like Angelvamp says: It goes directly into the genes vs environment debate.
I think that Edward would essentially be the same. He has some inner qualities that just can't be explained by the way he was raised. I see Edward as having some inner core of goodness in him. He is essentially selfless and caring. And assuming that he was still raised by Elizabeth until he was 17, I think a lot of her values would still rub off on him. But what makes me even more sure that he would be essentially the same, is the fact that he would still be raised by Carlisle. And I think Carlisle's values had a huge influence on the Edward that Bella met. So I see him as basically the same, based on his inner core and based on the people around him.
If he didn't have Carlisle and Elizabeth...I'm not sure. Some of his character traits would be the same, but maybe some would change as well.

I would like to know why Edward is able to hear other people's thoughts.
I agree with what has been said. It goes back to who he was when he was human. He was probably very perceptive. Not that he could actually read minds, but I'm sure he was very good at reading peoples faces and their emotions, and then deduct what they what was going through their minds. I also see this as relating to his mother, who we know was perceptive. I'm not sure she knew what Carlisle was, but she knew that he was something, and that he could help her son in a way that no one else could. So I see this as somehing he shared with his mother. And he took that ability with him into the life of a vampire.
As for Angelvamp's question about why it was important for the character Edward to be able to read minds, I think it was to set up for him falling in love with Bella. She was the one person whose mind he couldn't read. So that made him pay attention to her and want to know her better, and in doing so, fall in love with her. It was important to show that he couldn't rely on that sense, as he usually did. I think.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

Dovrebanen wrote:I also see this as relating to his mother, who we know was perceptive. I'm not sure she knew what Carlisle was, but she knew that he was something, and that he could help her son in a way that no one else could. So I see this as somehing he shared with his mother. And he took that ability with him into the life of a vampire.
It's been sort of established that Bella got her shielding power from Charlie, do you think Edward got his ability from his mother? And I'd like to think that she did know what Carlisle was, especially if she had an ability like Edward's, and "chose" him to be Edward's substitute father. Or should all this be in another thread? Please let me know if there are other threads I should go to, if I'm going on an unrelated rant.
Dovrebanen wrote:As for Angelvamp's question about why it was important for the character Edward to be able to read minds, I think it was to set up for him falling in love with Bella. She was the one person whose mind he couldn't read. So that made him pay attention to her and want to know her better, and in doing so, fall in love with her. It was important to show that he couldn't rely on that sense, as he usually did. I think.
Caught me without my thinking cap again, Dovrebanen! :oops: Of course, you're absolutely right.
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Angelvamp wrote: It's been sort of established that Bella got her shielding power from Charlie, do you think Edward got his ability from his mother? And I'd like to think that she did know what Carlisle was, especially if she had an ability like Edward's, and "chose" him to be Edward's substitute father.
I definitely think he got it from his mother. I think he was a lot like her in many ways. Even though we don't know much about Elizabeth Masen, I got the feeling that she was a very good and selfless person. And that she had a close bond with her son.
And she was highly perceptive. What she knew about Carlisle, is hard to tell. Maybe she had come across vampires at some point in her life? I find that a bit hard to believe since it would be strange if she lived to tell. But I think she saw that he was an exceptionally good doctor. And she saw that there was something special about him. Maybe she could sense that he was hiding some secret. Or maybe she just got a hunch that he could do something very special for her son. It could also be that she just saw a doctor and wanted to keep the last hope alive that her son would make it through the flu. But I think it was more to it than that. Anyway, I think Edward got some of his ability to read people from Elizabeth.

Maybe someone else has an opinion on this?
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

^^I never really thought about it like that. But it seems very true. After all, we know that Edward had some trouble reading Charlie's thoughts and that Bella inherited that and enhanced it, so I could see how Edward could enhance his mother's gift.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
JenTheWriter
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by JenTheWriter »

debussygirl wrote:^^I never really thought about it like that. But it seems very true. After all, we know that Edward had some trouble reading Charlie's thoughts and that Bella inherited that and enhanced it, so I could see how Edward could enhance his mother's gift.
I'm with you, Jenna. I haven't really ever thought about it like that. I mean we really didn't know that Bella got her gift from Charlie until we read MS. So, if people inherit their gifts via their parents then Edward must have been given something from his parents. I, too, would think to think it was his mother's gift.

As for Elizabeth's extent of knowledge regarding Carlisle ... I think she knew. Either in his behavior or mind reading gift. I mean Edward had said in MS that it was rare but there were people who put the subtle clues together and figured things out. If Elizabeth had even a 1/10th of the gift that Edward did then she knew exactly what she was doing when she asked Carlisle to save her son's life.
"And if you ever kiss her again, I will break your jaw for her," he promised.
Team Edward, Alice and Cullen! Swoonist. Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3's brain twin!
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

hey Team Edward. I'm Tilly from Team Rose. I'm just here to say that the Car Wash is open for business. It's called Free Car Wash and it's a 24 hour party. Come check it out whenever you get the chance.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Post by DudeRocksTheTwilight »

JenTheWriter wrote:
debussygirl wrote:^^I never really thought about it like that. But it seems very true. After all, we know that Edward had some trouble reading Charlie's thoughts and that Bella inherited that and enhanced it, so I could see how Edward could enhance his mother's gift.
I'm with you, Jenna. I haven't really ever thought about it like that. I mean we really didn't know that Bella got her gift from Charlie until we read MS. So, if people inherit their gifts via their parents then Edward must have been given something from his parents. I, too, would think to think it was his mother's gift.

As for Elizabeth's extent of knowledge regarding Carlisle ... I think she knew. Either in his behavior or mind reading gift. I mean Edward had said in MS that it was rare but there were people who put the subtle clues together and figured things out. If Elizabeth had even a 1/10th of the gift that Edward did then she knew exactly what she was doing when she asked Carlisle to save her son's life.
I agree.
I like the question.
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
Mrs.TeddyBear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Mrs.TeddyBear »

^^Oh my goodness! You guys just blew my mind! I never even considered the possibility that vamp powers could come from the parents...i feel like i just had an epiphany! It all connects now! WOWZA! :o
APPCShopper|Mafia~GabbyTagliano
AntoinetteFrost~JCA|TeamEdward&Esme|EDCCS|2ICofRJR
EDCBackhoeOperator|GarageCheerCpt&2IC|SBSLevel1Bodygaurd
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

^^That's great, Ted! :D

Team Edward! Today is the big day!!! Our beloved Edward turns a hundred and eight today!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE MOST GLORIOUS MAN IN HISTORY, EDWARD CULLEN!

I want to celebrate this day by saying why I love him so much:
He is the perfect man. He is bringing back the gentleman, who has sadly been lost along the way. Edward gives away his whole heart when he finds the right person. He in incredibly selfless. And not to forget, he is drop dead gorgeous!