Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Post by Amanda Beth »

I really wish I knew the answer to that also. I have like 275 for LAF and just over 200 for TPC...then I look at the big ones like WA and TEF and it's like whoa--I'm an epic fail lol. The thing you need to also consider is that you have to prepare to take the bad with the good. Of course it makes me feel like I'm cloud nine when reviewers are telling me LAF could be the 5th book and that my writing could rival SM's, but then there are the not so kind ones that made me want to stop writing lol
JillOBean
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by JillOBean »

Yeah, negative reviews... I guess I should be happy with my three or so reviews that they're all positive. lol.

ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Well, constructive criticism can help you become a better writer.

One person commented that my portrayal of Bella in Starry Night seemed out-of-character. I asked them to elaborate, and they never did get back to me, so now I have no idea what I did that seemed wrong, nor how to fix it. :?
Essay33
Wandering Through Town

Post by Essay33 »

missp wrote:It is frustrating to not receive reviews when you are getting lots of hits on your story.
I've gotten to where I look at my ff.net stats, and if the hits on a story continue to go up each time I post a new chapter, I figure my writing doesn't suck. :lol: Seriously, I gauge my success with readers by the stats, because I've come to the conclusion that the majority of people who read don't leave reviews.

When I enjoy a fic I like to leave a substantive review, telling the author what I appreciated about their writing and quoting a particular passage I enjoyed. When I don't think a fic is particularly great I don't leave a review at all. But that's just me.
Last edited by Essay33 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where I am not understood, it shall be concluded that something very useful and profound is couched underneath." --Jonathan Swift, A Tale of a Tub
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

ringswraith wrote:Well, constructive criticism can help you become a better writer.
I don't consider constructive criticism the same as negative reviews which includes never making an actual point, ranting and caps lock. lol.
Essay33
Wandering Through Town

Post by Essay33 »

Amanda Beth wrote:I don't consider constructive criticism the same as negative reviews which includes never making an actual point, ranting and caps lock. lol.
People actually do that?! *boggle*

My own fics are so little read thus far that I've been spared that weirdness. But really, what kind of misplaced frustration makes a person rant in a fanfic review? I'd be hard pressed not to respond, "So sorry that someone put a gun to your head and made you read my writing." Can you imagine how unpleasant they must be in their 3-D lives? Of course, maybe they get it all out on the internet and are sweetness and light everywhere else. Not.
"Where I am not understood, it shall be concluded that something very useful and profound is couched underneath." --Jonathan Swift, A Tale of a Tub
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

If you go to the LAF reviews some girl wrote a novel because Bella and Jacob had a *moment* in one of the chapters... and it was a hint of feelings, nothing outright obvious. She did end up apologizing and said the caps lock was for "emfasis" (not kidding on the spelling) 'Nuff said.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Amanda Beth wrote:
ringswraith wrote:Well, constructive criticism can help you become a better writer.
I don't consider constructive criticism the same as negative reviews which includes never making an actual point, ranting and caps lock. lol.
Oh I know- just that sometimes people think to leave a "good" review equals "I loved your story!"-type comments. Constructive criticism can be either positive or negative, depending on the delivery. :)
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

My stories have about the same number of reviews as yours, Amanda Beth. I know it seems that they are little fics, but that's just fine. Singularity is up for an Indie because it's little (Canon/AU category). I have a couple of reviewers that just leave the <3 heart thing. That's it. Nothing else, but hey, at least they let me know they liked it. :lol:
SweetKay
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by SweetKay »

For those of you that are following The Training by Tara Sue Me, Chapter 17 has updated!!

Do not forget that The Training is now posted over on Twilighted and to read stories over there you have to sign up. But it is very easy to do so!!

Off to read The Training!!!
SweetKay
ImageImage
TEAM EDWARD ~~ EX-FACTOR ADDICT ~~ WA ADDICT ~~ TEAM ALICE