A thesis discussion--place to discuss thesis papers

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
face10
Settled in Forks

Re: A thesis discussion--place to discuss thesis papers

Post by face10 »

Wow! I'm amazed by the response that I got from you guys on my last survey (237 responses)! Thanks so much! Well, now that I've got all of my quantitative data, I'm looking for some qualitative data. I've got a shiny new survey for anybody who is a kind soul and wants to help out this (still) poor, tired undergrad. Once again, it's completely anonymous and relatively short (I'm estimating about 10 minutes to take it); It's a little bit more in depth since there are a lot of opinion questions on this one. However, this is a chance to let the academic community know how you feel about the Twilight series! So please take my survey!! Here's the link for anyone who's interested:

http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-surve ... JG_c0f29cb

Thanks so much for all your help!

-Face
Suze1989
Settled in Forks

Post by Suze1989 »

Hi guys!

I'm a UK student studying Film & Media Studies for my degree. I'm currently writing my dissertation which is all about Twilight fan practices :D I would be really helpful if anyone could spare two minutes to fill in a short questionaire about Twilight, its completely anonymous and I don't need any personal details. It is just ten basic questions that will help me inmy first chapter which is about how/if fans identify with Bella. This is the link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/J9CH6GS

Thank you!!
RainOnMe797
Settled in Forks

Hello all! I need a responses for a paper...

Post by RainOnMe797 »

Hello everyone. First, I'll get the awkward part of this over with...

Are you sitting down? Okay, now don't be afraid but, there is an anti in your midst.

WAIT WAIT, before you scream and flame... I need some information for a paper I'm doing. I'm taking a college course at my high school and am discussing Twilight in this assignment. This is not an opportunity for me to destroy what you love, rather I'd prefer you think of it as an opportunity for you guys to give your side.

No one will be forced to do this, but I did come to show you all a survey that I need for the paper. I have already gotten some responses from "the dark side", but as a writer I understand the importance of being balanced and as unbiased as possible. The survey is COMPLETELY, 100% ANONYMOUS. But I do need it, so any responses I can get are SEVERELY appreciated. This is the only reason for me being here, and the mods can feel free to delete my account after I get enough responses.

Apologies for bugging ye
But do hear my desperate plea
Take my survey
And I'll say "HOORAY!"
Right before I flee.

(I know, pathetic, trying to win you over with not-so-clever poetry. PSSH.)

Survey:
1) Do you like Twilight?
O yes O no
2) Gender?
O male O female O other/I choose not to identify
3) Which of the books have you read?
O Twilight O New Moon O Eclipse O Breaking Dawn O All
4) Which of the movies have you seen?
O Twilight O New Moon O Eclipse O All
5) Do you plan to see the “Breaking Dawn” movie?
O yes O no

1) Do you think Bella is a weak character? Why or why not?
O yes O no
2) Do you think Edward is controlling or abusive?
O yes O no
3) Do you think Jacob is controlling or abusive?
O yes O no
4) Do you believe the Twilight series can have a negative impact on young readers?
O yes O no
Extra comments?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(And by the way, if I were tied to a chair and forced to choose, I'd be Team Jacob. Sorry, loves.)
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Hey, we're cool with people who don't like Twilight, so long as they're nice about it. So you don't need to take cover! And these are certainly issues where people have spectacularly different responses, which are well worth exploring. Good luck with your research!
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

I understand how your perspective on things can change over time. Here's my 2 cents:

Yes-female-all-all-yes

No. Bella is still a teenager - this is important to get. Teenagers have not yet had enough practice to be as tough as they would like to be. As a matter of fact, you can see Bella's toughness grow and evolve over the course of the books. But Bella is plenty tough for her age, accustomed to independence within the world she is familar with. She operates independently in Phoenix and Forks - not in Italy, where she doesnt speak the language or even have a map. Certainly not in Volterra - like the rest of us, in unfamilar territory she needs guidance, and there are no guidebooks for Vampireland. She falls in love, but she is not dominated by Edward - as a matter of fact, despite his unfair advantage of being supernatural, she fights off his influence much more than the other humans around him. She asserts herself often, from the very beginning. She is not a weak character -- it is not her fault that she is not as fast, etc, as the supernatural characters that she chooses to surround herself with. A real person is not less strong of mind, merely because they hang out with others who are even stronger-minded.

No. Edward is overprotective. There's a difference. He is so overwhelmed by Bella's COMPARATIVE fragility that he overreacts, which she tells him, except when she uses his overprotectiveness to manipulate him. His apparently overcontrolling behavior at the beginning of Eclipse is readily explained when you look backward from Breaking Dawn. Edward is familar with European werewolves, which are very different and even more dangerous than the Quileutes, and slowly comes to realize that they are not the same. And then, from an early point, Edward tries to make everything about what Bella chooses, even though his anxiety sometimes leads him to want to overrule her choices.

By the way -- when you look at the books, I think saying both that Bella is weak and Edward is controlling/abusive completely falls apart.

No. Jacob is even younger than Bella, and though he goes through that rapid physical maturation, he doesn't seem to go through a rapid emotional maturation. He starts off quite mature *because of his life experiences* - losing his mother, caring for his father. But he appears to have less experience with romantic relationships and hasn't had time to mature in his approach there. He kisses Bella against her will - once, no repeats. After lots of mixed signals beginning in Twilight and running through New Moon well into Eclipse. He didn't realize it was against her will - inexperienced romantically, and unable to realize through his own desire that she is trying like hell to get away from him. He said he was sorry. Jeesh.

ANYTHING can have a negative impact on ANYBODY. Go look at the banned books lists - some relatively reasonable person thought that each one of those would predictable have a negative impact on people who read them. Bet you read something on them, and here you are, writing papers for college. But books are not the ONLY impact on most people - family, friends, society have large impacts. I'm going through some heavy emotional stuff about mortality and the afterlife while reading these books - but its not Stephenie Meyer's fault and I'm handling it. Maybe I will be a better person for wrestling with this. That's what art is about, right?
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
Neelia
Settled in Forks

Post by Neelia »

Hi Everyone!

I'm in my 2nd year at uni studying Film and am currently working on an audience research project about film adaptations, focusing on the Harry Potter Series, The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy and The Twilight Saga!!

For anyone who is interested, it would be great if you could complete my questionnaire. It shouldn't take long and would be a great help towards my degree!!

If you are interested I would be happy to post my results on here when I am done!!

Here is the link to the questionnaire: Film Adaptations Questionnaire

Thankyou!!
Neelia
:)
MichL87
Settled in Forks

Help me defend Twilight to my grad school writing class!

Post by MichL87 »

Hi, everyone! I'm going to defend Twilight to my grad school Contemporary American Writers class, and I need help from Twilight fans everywhere. So where else to come but the Twilight Lexicon??

It's all explained here -- http://blog.michellemadow.com/2011/09/i ... light.html

THANK YOU so much for your help! Can't wait to read your responses :)

Love,

Michelle Madow
http://www.michellemadow.com
MichL87
Settled in Forks

Help me defend Twilight to my grad school writing class!

Post by MichL87 »

Hi, everyone! I'm going to defend Twilight to my grad school Contemporary American Writers class, and I need help from Twilight fans everywhere. So where else to come but the Twilight Lexicon??

It's all explained here -- http://blog.michellemadow.com/2011/09/i ... light.html

THANK YOU so much for your help! Can't wait to read your responses :)

Love,

Michelle Madow
http://www.michellemadow.com
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: Help me defend Twilight to my grad school writing class!

Post by Openhome »

This topic was also posted in the thesis thread. Hopefully, you can get more comments that way.
amowery+
Settled in Forks

Re: Help me defend Twilight to my grad school writing class!

Post by amowery+ »

I've read and heard that Twilight is not well written. I don't think I've ever read why that is the thinking among the critics.
Maybe one should look at the number of books sold and the following the series has captured.
That alone should make the nay sayers take another look.
The length of the books alone could persuade one not to pick them up, especially our tech loving youth. They however can't get enough of Stephenie's story. The mere fact that they are reading these books is a feat in itself and we should all be thanking Stehenie.
The series intrigues you and leaves you wanting more. I think that is the definition of a good series.
I read the series in 4 days and I do have a career and kids! I've read the books many times. I think the romance is what I love the most. To love someone so completely and unquestioned is what we all would like to have in a relationship. Unconditional love is the draw for me.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]