Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
down
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by down »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
-hmm... i dont think so... i like bella, but in many situations, she can be soooo anoing... come on, girl, he loves you and wanna protect you, why do you have to be sucha pain in the neck?? :roll:

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
-charlie loves jacob, for shure, but i dont think he was the one who has rights to make that call (about posters). he should'ov leave that to billy.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
- i think charlie could react much worse... kinda hoped he will... and renee... its funny on a not-so-funny way... come on, she has bad experiences and now shes just triled to see that here 18-years-old doughter is gonna do some?? come on... how real that could be?? :?

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
-in some older books i like jacob alot... but now?? omg, hes soooooooo stupid... he likes reneesme??? LITTLE GIRL!!! kinky!!!! no, nvm... what did i wont to say?? hmm... jea... so... i hoped that he will show up and that he wont do somethink stupid like he olmost did... so, he showed up, olmost did something stupid and he was anoing me rest of the book :P :P :P
ment2be134
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ment2be134 »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward? Yeah i would have plus her car is so cool and i think it holds a speciel place for her

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.No i think that should have been up to Billy and he knew what his son was up to but i also think that Charlie was just trying to make it easier for Billy even though it wasn't that much of a help

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted? I totally knew how they both would react. Renee did not surprise me

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up? Yes i was nervous but not in the way were i was afraid it would get ruined but nervously excited
"Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."
~ Edward Cullen

"she's diabolical" ~Emmet Cullen
flutterbymonkeys`
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by flutterbymonkeys` »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

Yeah, I probably would have. I don't like getting big gifts....

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
No, I do not. The Quilutes knew where he was, so to speak. I think he should have left it up to Billy. But, I do understand where Charlie was coming from. He cares about Jacob, so he wanted to try and help.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
I was nervous for the wedding. I didn't know how this would be done, and I didn;t think Jacob would show up, though I hoped he would.
Lion+Lamb=Lochness Monster!
JN
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

No, I like getting gifts. A car, especially an extravagant one like the Mercedes or the Ferrari might have been a bit much even for me.

I would have left that to Billy, but I would have been trying to convince Billy to do it.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
I thought Charlie and Bella were right about how Renee was going to react, so that scared me a little. I was scared Charlie was going to go crazy, so his reaction was fine with me.

I was really excited. No, I didn't think Jake would show.
loveisblind
Settled in Forks

Post by loveisblind »

I would be very reluctant to take a car as a gift, let alone a car that wasn't even yet available in the area you were living. Though there would be exceptions with such a person as Edward, because he would see it as protecting you, a safety hazard for you; a small favour.

I believe that as such a close friend of the Blacks, Charlie would have thought it as his duty to help them to find Jacob, though I don't think it was right for Charlie to put up posters, when the decision is really up to Billy.

Charlie's reaction was quite a surprise, you would think the Renee would have the more childish response to the announcement but it seemed that they both had the oppisite reaction. I loved Renee's reaction but Charlie's would've been a bit awkward and off-putting.

I was not at all nervous for the wedding, I knew that it would be an extremely romantic occasion. I just knew that Jacob would show up, no matter the pain it caused him, to support Bella and be there for her.
<3<3<3
Settled in Forks

Post by <3<3<3 »

As long as it was from Edward ;) Just Kidding. Well, I can see were he's coming from, he just wants to protect her, but sometimes..well, alot of the time, really, he is very over-protective-ish.So I would be annoyed, but I'd still keep it.

I think that was very out of line, but he didn't know why jacob left. so yeah, he's worried, because he likes jacob and all that stuff, so he wasn't trying to be a pest. but he was :]

I thought it was somewhat rude how he reacted, accusations of pregnancy. Though, she does...but still! Renee's reaction, I think was very tied to her personality, she trusts Bella, and wants what makes her happy.

I didn't. I was very suprised, actually. But it was obnoxious when he started asking about there er, 'private' life. But then again, curiousity...?
mizzee17
Settled in Forks

Post by mizzee17 »

I would accept the gift. But I wouldn't drive it that much and made sure I smothered a bag of dust all over the car to make it look old and not that eye-catching

Charlie was overreacting. I mean, Jacob isn't even his kid and if Billy wasn't putting up any fliers and posters, that should have been good enough for Charlie to get a clue and not worry about it.

I saw it coming. I mean. duh. His only daughter is getting married at 18. Settling down early doesn't appeal to fathers nowadays. I understand his reaction completely but I thought maybe his reaction was the way it was because Bella was marrying Edward. I mean, Charlie is so biased when it comes to Edward. Maybe if Bella told him that she was marrying Jacob, he would've said 'okay!' instantly. But if that wasn't the case (Charlie being impartial and all), then he really should have killed Bella. If I found out my daughter was marrying at 18 I would sit her down through a serious talk before I would let her completely decide. But on the other hand, if I was really close to Edward and knew he was a good man, then I wouldn't hesitate to give Bella my blessing. But since Charlie never took the time to really know Edward, of course he would react the way he did.
As for Renee, I was so surprised at her reaction and so happy that Bella didn't have to go through another mind-wrecking confrontation. And so happy that Charlie got a taste of his own medicine. lol.

I was really excited about the wedding. The only thing I was nervous about was it not being perfect and being a complete disaster like Bella's 18th birthday. Actually, the Jacob part was spoiled for before I read Breaking Dawn, but when I started reading the book and as it got to the wedding, I thought the spoiler that spoiled it for me wasn't true and then I was beginning to think that Jacob wasn't going to show but then poof out of nowhere there he was. I didn't expect it to end badly with Jacob and Bella at her wedding, but I guess I should have known better, coming from Jacob...
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

Maybe a little, only because I've never really understood the necessity of gifts in the first place, not to mention they make you feel obligated to get the giver something equally as awesome when the time comes, and that's sometimes hard to do...
Of course, he's the sheriff after all, regardless of where his jurisdiction lies, and is very close to the Black family, so it would have been neglectful for him not to do so... he didn't need to put up quite so many on the same road, though...
I hoped that Renee would flip a lid, but she just cried and told Bella that she would know what was best for herself and as long as she loved him then everything would be fine... It was kind of anti-climactic, all this hesitation and anxiety for nothing
Nervous? No. Excited? Yes. Of course Jake was going to show up, Bella's his best friend regardless of how she treats him, and he's a reliable and loyal "hound", as it were
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
lynnielea
Settled in Forks

Post by lynnielea »

Alphie wrote:1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
i wouldnt have beacuse i promised to let him buy one but i would have gripped about it alot and probably secretly tried to get my truck fixed heel Edward gives her the credit card id go to the overpriced machanic in town and then have my truck back he never said she couldnt do that

i would have just kept my mouth shut if thats what charlie needed to make himself feel better then i wouldnt stop him

both reactions we surprises and i loved them

i hoped jake would turn up and that he would be good and no cause a fight ha and i was more nervous about the honeymoon :D
wildroses
Fishing with Charlie

Post by wildroses »

i definitely would have been reluctant but i don't know about as much so as bella was. thats a pretty hefty gift, and i'd feel like i would need to give something in return because i sure as hell aren't enough :lol:

i think that maybe charlie didn't have a right to post the posters if billy didn't want him to, but i definitely think it fit charlie's character. i mean, it shows that he cared about jacob and since he wasn't in the loop about the werewolf thing and billy didn't seem to care too much i think he was doing the right thing. from his point of view, it was like he was the only one who really cared.

charlie's reaction was pretty much how i thought it would be. i was surprised by renee's though. i thought she would have been more concerned or would have told bella that she shouldn't get married, she was too young blah blah blah.

i wasn't nervous about the wedding, i was really excited. and i knew jacob was going to show up. i didn't know when or how but i was almost positive that he would. jacob loves and cares about bella too much to at least pop in and say hey at her wedding.
randomness bum<3