Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
kellycullen
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by kellycullen »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
No, I would accept any gift Edward would be willing to give me...especially if it was a Mercedes.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
I think Charlie should have listened to Billy. Jacob is afterall, his son and his responsibility.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
I think Charlie reacted in the way any typical dad would when finding out his daughter is getting married at 18. I think the way Renee reacted was sweet.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
I wish there would have been more details about the actual wedding. I don't remember if I thought Jacob was going to show up. Chances are I didn't, he always manages to upset set Bella. Booooo Jacob...
xXBeSafeXx
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by xXBeSafeXx »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
I would have been, because I hate getting expensive gifts; it always makes me feel bad that I can't do anything in return. And a Mercedes? Wow. That would have been way too much for me.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
Charlie only put up posters around town, and he had every right to. He was worried about Jacob, and he put them up in the town, where he did have jurisdiction. So, yes, he was justified.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
I thought Charlie's reaction was perfect for him, exactly what I expected. After the build-up, I was a bit surprised about Renee, but she seems to be one to surprise you, so I wasn't like :o or anything, just like, Oh, cool. That was cool of her. Renee was totally right though. I thought it was funny how she said, "You seem to have found another old soul."

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
Not nervous. At all. I was super-excited. And no, I didn't think Jacob would show up. I was way surprised when he did, but happy for Bella that she had everyone there that she wanted.
ImageImageImage
Twin--Narnia|Mafia Name--Motor Mouth Alice|EDC, Inc--Bulldozer Trainee
twilight_fanpire
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by twilight_fanpire »

Probably at first, because I would feel as if I would owe him something in return, but in the end I would accept it because it's a really cool car!

Yes, I think he had every right to do so. Charlie is a family friend and you have to remember, he had no idea that Billy knew Jacob was off somewhere as a wolf. He thought that Jake had just run away from home. He was trying to help find Billy's son. He's a police chief and that is what they do. Plus, he never put any on the reservation so I feel he was all in the clear.

I was honestly shocked. haha I expected at least one of them to blow up and tell Bella that she was making a stupid mistake. I liked how Charlie reacted though, it was funny.

I was really nervous! I didn't know what was going to happen and I was really worried that something would go terribly wrong (like someone would die or something), but I was really excited that they were finally getting married. I kind of had a feeling that Jacob would show up because he wouldn't want to miss saying goodbye to Bella.
Bulldozer Trainee in EDC,Inc.
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.." <3 E<3B
cutiegurl_147
Settled in Forks

Post by cutiegurl_147 »

1.Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward? yeah, because it's a gift. Though I share Bella's feelings on the buying expensive gifts thing. I don't want all teh fancy stuff. yeah, it's good to have something new like a car, but I would feel more proud to have him in my life.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation. yeah, because he really does care about Jacob, like a son I think.
3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted? Honestly, while I could probably understand, I would be offended too. Many people think that you have to be older than 21 to get married. I think otherwise, as long as two people love and respect each other, and especially if they make sure God was okay with it, than they can get married. I love how Renee reacted. Like a true mother. Sort of a person who saw it coming and wished her happiness, though she was against teenage marriage before.
4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up? uh, heck yeah! There were many possibilities of many events that could have happened. As for Jacob, yeah, i kinda knew he would. Since, he believes that Bella is the one for him and believes she's crazy for wanting to be with Edward.
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by deven »

i wouldnt have put up such a fight over it because i would know i would lose but...i would rather it be a somewhat normal car.

billy and charlie are best friends so obviously charlie would be worried about jacob.

i liked it. i like how he thought no chance would her mom be ok with it so it was like he own little joke to get his way...=]

i was really surprised the wedding happened at the beginning. and i knew it wouldnt go with out a probablem. so i didnt think about jcob but i knew something was up!
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward? Not as much, but a little, yeah.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation. He didn't really have the "right" I guess as a cop, but as a friend, yes.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted? Laughed at Charlie's, surprised by Renee's. Bella had just gone on about her mother being opposed to marriages so young.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up? I was actually nervous Bella would go through with it she was so reluctant!
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

Yes. I hate it when people give me gifts. Especially if it was Edward - I would feel just like Bella did.
And also, she was noticed a lot in that car, and embarrassed. I would hate people staring because of a car.

I didn't like the way he did that. Billy obviously wasn't concerned (well, he was calm about it anyway) and thought he would come back. He should have left it up to the people who actually knew Jake well (werewolfness included).

I absolutely hated Charlie's reaction. He got so worked up about everything else, and then they get married and he just laughs? It didn't seem Charlie-ish at all.
Renee's reaction I liked. She explained her reaction to Bella, and it seemed reasonable. I loved the way she got so excited.

Nervous? What do you mean? I was really really excited. Bella and Edward finally making it official and announcing their love. It was so beautifully done, like I knew it would be. I thought Jacob would show up, I didn't know in what form though.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
mazimendes
Settled in Forks

Post by mazimendes »

Fisrt post!
Alphie wrote:1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

I think Bella is over the top with the rejections of material things. She should, at least, be happy for Edward. But, I think that's what makes her so special to Edward, after all. That she reacts different than the rest of the girls... without that, that wouldn't be Edward and Bella...

I felt kind of angry with Charlie. Jacob is a "grown" boy. He must have seen that he left volutary.

I loved Renee's reaction. I wanted to show my tong to Bella and say: "see, silly, your worries were stupid... You made you love suffer for nothing!". Charlie's was ok.

No, I wanted Jacob not to show up...

Ah, I have to say something about this chapter. I think that is there one of the most romantic thing of the whole book: the proposal from Edward to Charlie. I don't have it here. But something like: "i love her and, somehow se loves me too"... Beautiful... I wanted to cry!
"Você me ama"

"Sinceramente, amo"
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?.
If I knoew he was only doing it to protect me, and that in the end result I'd ne getting what i really wanted, a little piece of forever with my Edward. =P

Yes, but he still loved Jacob and has known him forever. I knwo that anyone of my friends(and their parents), would put up posters around town of me is I was missing.

I thought that it went better than I expected with Charlie. i WAS EXPECTING HIM TOBE REALLY ANGRY AND TRY TO SHOOT EDWARD. LOL (sorry for caps guys..too lazy to go back and fix it)

I wasn''t expecting Jake to show up, but I was very nervous. I was expecting something really bad to happen and then they wouldn't get married.

-Dark
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward? If it were me, not Bella, I would have accepted it. I do understand Bella, though. She is a simple girl with simple tastes, and doesn't like to be in the spotlight. The car definitely gave her more attention that what she is comfortable with, especially in a small town like Forks. I understand why Edward did it, too- he didn't think that truck was safe for Bella.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation. I felt he did it out of love for his best friend. Maybe he did it BECAUSE Billy wouldn't. Charlie saw Jake as another run-away, and probably thought Billy was a little callous about it.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted? *snicker* I love how Charlie thought the reason was that Bella was pregnant- such a typical "dad response" when hearing your 18-year old wants to get married seemingly out of the blue. I laughed when he said that Bella would have to be the one to tell Renee! Now, Renee's response I was not expecting; I figured there'd be more talk about how Bella was making a mistake. Renee just accepted it, saying that her mistakes didn't apply to Bella, that Bella was different from herself.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up? I cried and cried when Jake ran off at the end of "Eclipse," and I really wanted him to get his happy ending. I didn't think he'd be back. I just thought that he'd stay a wolf like the ancient tribal leader (can't remember his name right now), and that THAT was Jake's ending, to stay a wolf. I'm glad he came back, though, to give Bella some closure to know that he was okay. For the wedding- I thought it was just beautiful. I love how Bella FINALLY showed some degree of acceptance of it, when she spotted Edward at the altar waiting for her. I like how they changed "til death do us part" to "for as long as we both shall live-" SO fitting for them! I may have to come back and edit... my mom has my book, and I've read so much fanfic, that the stories are starting to blend. :lol: