Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
italianchic603
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by italianchic603 »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

I would only because if I had someone like Edward I wouldn't want anything else. I would already have what I wanted most.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

I think because Charlie was in the dark about what really happened, he just wanted to find the kid. In his eyes Jacob was a run away and Billy wasn't doing enough to find him.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

I think that Charlie reacted like most fathers do when they hear their 18 year old is getting married. As for Renee I was expecting her to go crazy just like Charlie thought. LOL!

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?

I was a little nervous about what would happen. I was really hoping that Jacob would show up.
ihadanEdwardRush
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ihadanEdwardRush »

Alphie wrote:1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
ANSWERS:
1. No. I would be so so flattered for that. It's just says that I'm so important for this person that he gave that much expensive gift. I truly treasured that :)

2.Maybe Charlie's is really just worried about Jacob. And since they're like family, he wants to show concern after all.

3. Charlie's reaction is cool hahahah..you know the hesitant-first-questioning-stuff, but i know he's cool with it. Renee's reaction is over the top, she's cool too! :)

4.I am nervous, really, as in nervous that i thought I'm in the wedding scene, and hoping that no unflattering events would happen. I am afraid that Bella might tripped when going down the stairs (You know bella right?) hahahah :) It's good Jacob showed up but really, I just don't like his li'l misbehaviour over there..But Edward's nice, too, he really invited him for the sake of Bella. :)
Banner by the fabulous MISTY!!! (yeah she rules!)
A proud part of the Gen Y Lexily! <3 my lexlings
dragonrider713
Wandering Through Town

Post by dragonrider713 »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

I probably would be. I'm a simple girl and I tend to not like big, extravagant gifts.

I think Charlie should have left it alone. Jacob was sixteen, an age where running away is not surprising, and if Billy wasn't worried, then Charlie shouldn't have done anything.

I was not surprised by their reactions at all. I kinda figured they'd be okay with it.

I was so nervous! I really felt that something was going to go wrong. My big theory was that either Jake of the Volturi were going to crash the wedding.
TwErD--
Settled in Forks

Post by TwErD-- »

Well, I was raised with manners (sigh) so I should refuse every gift someone got me. But, I do like presents..............................but if someone got me a car, now, I would be all *whoa*

I think Charlie had every right to. Charlie is utterly grateful for Jacob who helped Bella when Edward was away, who kept her from insanity.

I knew Renee was going to act all happy and motherly, I just had a feeling. But Charlie on the other hand, I didnt know he was going to get such a thrill out of the threat of telling Bella she had to tell Renee...........

I was not nervous at all. I was like, bring on Edwarddddd! And yes, I did think he would show.
RAINBOW <33

""Surely I do Imbide in copious herbage, but I dont drink alcohol, I made straight A's, and I have the upmost respect......for ladies...heh yeah!"" ILY Jackson Rathbone! Especially as Snippy, the coolest stoner eveerrr!
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

yes. it makes me uncomfortable when people give me even small things for christmas or my birthday.

like job wise, not 100% justified. but otherwise, yes. charlie describes the Blacks as family so it made sense he would be worried about jacob, especially since he didnt know about jacob being a werewolf. i bet billy knew where jacob was so he wasnt worried too much

i thought it was funny how charlie reacted. renee's reaction surprised me a bit, yeah, but i was happy that they were both supportive :}

i was EXCITED! :} and yes i had an inkling hed show up

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Post by Seeker-Mar »

I would have been reluctant to accept that car. I was actually really irritated for Bella in this chapter. This is an area (I hate to say it.) where Jacob has always understood her better. It would have been so much nicer for Bella if the Cullen's had just fixed up her truck. (Plus the trucks a Chevy...Buy American!) Still, sigh I know Edward meant well and was just being his overly worried self. ;-)

Yes, Jacob is like family to Charlie.

Oh, Charlie's reaction was awesome. The gun thing was too funny. Renee surprised me a little but I thought it was nice. I was happy to see her so involved with the wedding plans. I love SM but I think she kind of dropped the ball on Renee's storyline at the end of the book.

I was excited for the wedding. Hum, I think I did expect Jacob.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. James 3:17
Wolf-Girl90
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Wolf-Girl90 »

. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
Probably I suppose! I'd hate the fact that people ould be staring all the time!

He was concerned! This was his best frineds son! Why shouldn't he try his best to try and get him found?

I thought it was funny really! It's because that is exactly how my dad would have reacted if I'd told him I was enagaed at 18! I was a bit suprised at Renee though! I didn't think she'd go mental but I thought she'd be slightly resentful!

Of course Jacob was going to show up! He couldn't not! For a bit I couldn't imagine Bella and Edward getting married but I grew accustomed to the idea so no, I wasn't nervous!
J<3B::Taylor Lautner::Dating Thread::Cymru::Karl = LBF
Banner by ThreeThings
http://-roadkillchic.piczo.com
yanjan3
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela
Location: Happily moving to a world where Humans, Vamps and Werewolves get along...

Post by yanjan3 »

* Yes! I'm so like Bella, I don't like flashy things and presents for that matter...

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.* Yes! He was really concerned about Jacob and as a father himself, he couldn't understand how Billy could just do nothing.

* Funny!! They were both expecting it; Charlie reacted as expected and Renee was totally suprising..

* I didn't think Jacob would come since I didn't want him to be hurt, but I'm really happy when he did..
ImageImage
"I rate hot guys from 1 to RobPattinson".
tiffanyh
Settled in Forks

Post by tiffanyh »

The only thing that I would have been worried about, if I were Bella (who doesn't like to be showy), is being noticed and stared at. Knowing how she is about accepting gifts, I can understand her take on the whole thing.

*shrug* Being as close to Billy as he is, I think he felt responsible for Jacob... especially seeing how close him and Bella were. I don't think he over did it, really.

I think Charlie handled himself very well. I'm proud of Papa. :) Renee's reaction was a surprise, really. ESPECIALLY after Bella described her mom's take on marriage. But I think it helped seeing Edward and Bella together for her mom to get a true grasp on how much they meant to one another. Made the "pill" easier to swallow, so to speak.

I was trembling the whole time I read the first couple of chapters... especially the wedding. I was so afraid something would happen to keep this special day from going perfectly for them. I'm SO glad it went perfectly. I can even overlook Jacob's last minute frenzy. :)
Isabella Swan? I promise to love you forever — every single day of forever. Will you marry me?
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 20, p.460
TEAM EDWARD!
xSophiexx16
Settled in Forks

Post by xSophiexx16 »

Yeah. I think I would. I mean how could you repay him?

Yes. If the father won't do it than who will?

I actually thought that they were totally asburd. They didn't even overreact in anyway. :P I know that Edward and Bella are perfect together but... She's so young!
I don't know... I wasn't really nervous. I just anxiously read it. XD