Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
auntypsycho
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by auntypsycho »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

Someone wants to give me a car?? heck .. bring it on!! Bella knew the family all liked fast cars and that she would probably get one as well so I couldn't understand her reaction to the car ... I would have reacted like Bella when I realised it was a super armoured and that maybe Edward had given me this one because I was such a klutz.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

I think as the best mate of the missing child's dad he did the right thing . He did go a bit overboard with the amount of posters in my opinion. However, Billy would have known that Jacob was all right as I am sure he would have gotten updates from Sam and the other wolves.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

I think Charlie reacted the way any father would have reacted .. If it was one of my kids I would have thought she was pregnant as well!! Renee surprised me. The way Bella kept going on about how her mother objected to being married young made me think she would have gone mental at her.

What I did like was that they were both supportive of her decision. As a parent you can only do that and let your kids make their own mistakes. As a child that is all you can ask for, the support of your parents.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?

I wasn't nervous for the wedding at all . I knew it would go without a hitch . Let's face it Alice had planned it down to the very last minute detail! I wasn't surprised that Jacob turned up when he did .. I knew when he didn't interrupt the wedding itself he would show up at the reception . There was no way he was going to miss Bella's big day.
Resilda
Settled in Forks

Post by Resilda »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

Haha, I wouldn't have been very reluctant. I don't know anything about cars, so I wouldn't know a Mercedes was extravagant at all. Hmm..I like getting gifts--not too many, but still. :P Now that I think about it, a car is a lot just for one person to pay, even if they seem to have an unlimited supply of money. I guess I would accept it, feel bad because of all the money spent, but still happy because someone wants to protect me so much, and it would make him happy to see me happy.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

I never thought there was a problem with it until I read this question. Charlie really does care about Jacob, so why not? Billy is not opposed to it, just indifferent. All Charlie wants to do is make sure the boy's safe, and Billy knows that.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

I was really surprised with how Charlie acted. I thought he would've gone overboard and started yelling. His and Renee's reactions made me a little anxious because they seemed to finalize that Bella was now a grown up. I thought Renee's reaction was also a little cute...she thought they were already planning on being engaged hehe. But, I doubt any mother would respond like that.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?

Yes, I was so nervous for the wedding. Every emotion Bella was talking about, I thought I was feeling...like she was sending them through the book to me. I don't thinknBella truly knew if she wanted this, and that made me even more nervous and sad. Well, as soon as she saw Edward's face, then the wedding became fun for me. And the reception was perfect...except for Jacob. I had no idea he would show up, and was hapy that he did, hated how he left. I wish he wouldn't have gotten mad, but I'm glad it didn't spoil Bella's night.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Image Image Image
~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Bella & Edward ~ forever
twilightfan4ever2009
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightfan4ever2009 »

I would of been reluctant to accept the gift because it would be something that i could never afford and i would feel wrong about having something like that.

Charlie thought that Jacob was missing, and since he knows Jacob and Billy he felt like it was the right thing to do.

I was suprised at Renee reaction to the wedding because she was married at the same age. I was kind of suprised and not suprised at Charlies reaction.

I thought that Jacob would be at the wedding somehow.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.
twilightfan4ever2009
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightfan4ever2009 »

I would of been reluctant to accept the gift because it would be something that i could never afford and i would feel wrong about having something like that.

Charlie thought that Jacob was missing, and since he knows Jacob and Billy he felt like it was the right thing to do.

I was suprised at Renee reaction to the wedding because she was married at the same age. I was kind of suprised and not suprised at Charlies reaction.

I thought that Jacob would be at the wedding somehow.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.
BeSafe
Learning to Love Green

Post by BeSafe »

1.Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
I would have not been as reluctant as Bella was but I don’t really like people spending so much on me.

I do understand his choice to put up the posters as Jacob was practically family to him. However I think ultimately it should have been Billy’s decision.

I wasn’t surprised by Charlie’s reaction. I thought it was a typical parent response to assume that Bella was pregnant. Although I thought Renee would support her daughter I expected more of a reaction when she was first told about the engagement.

I was both excited and nervous about the wedding. I was worried about something going wrong. I wasn’t surprised when Jacob showed up, I expected him to be there.
irunwithvampires
Settled in Forks

Post by irunwithvampires »

I'm not sure. I've always thought that Bella is a little extreme when it comes to accepting gifts, especially from Edward, but I understand why she's always been a little reluctant when it comes to this. I would have accepted the other gifts Edward has given Bella without putting up a fight, but when it comes to the Mercedes - they're just so expensive and it's such a huge gift that I might have been maybe a little bit as reluctant as Bella. If I'm saying that, then I can only imagine how hard it must have been for her. :)

Completely. Charlie has been like a second father to Jacob his whole life - even though Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation, I could understand his frustration and anxiety at this point - after all, he is the chief, so he's going to try to do as much as he can.

Okay, I knew their reactions would either be them blowing up and resulting in this huge fight with Bella, or them blowing it off and expecting it. But that still didn't make me any less surprised when I read that part. I mean, I guess in Eclipse, Charlie was sort of expecting something like it - so his reaction was a little more realistic than Renee's. He's been around the both of them together much more than Renee has, and he was angry at first, seemed to be in a little bit of shock, and then just laughed it off. Whereas Renee was just excited when Bella told her the news, and Bella's built up the reaction of Renee so much, that it was just more shocking to me.

Before the book came out, I was debating whether or not Jacob would show up at the wedding - but when I was reading it, I was just reading it. Not really thinking of what could come up. Definitely not nervous about that - I was just super excited to see how the wedding of everyone's dreams would finally play out. It was my favorite part of the whole book - Edward and Bella's romantic moment without Bella's pregnancy or imprinting or all that other stuff getting in the way. I felt like that scene was the truest. Loved it.
crazy<3
Settled in Forks

Post by crazy<3 »

I think I would be as reluctant as Bella in the scenario. Especially coming from some one like Edward. Even if I did let someone buy me a car, it would certainly not be a Mercedes!
I don't know...I kind of do as he is the head police officer and of course they would be doing everything possible to find a missing person. Also I feel he wasn't because Billy was refusing to put up flyers and didn't really want Charlie doing it in the first place.
I was expecting Charlie to react pretty much the way he did, I knew he would be mad but also accept it because he is a dad, and obiously Edward and Bella together wasn't really a new concept. For Renee, I wasn't at all expecting it! I thought she was going to react a lot differently, but while I was reading it I wasn't completely surprised either...
I wasn't at all expecting Jake to show, although I did expect him to show up shortly after the honeymoon. I wasn't exactly nervous for the wedding, I was more excited. That was one scene I was greatly anticipating!
i am mythical
Settled in Forks

Post by i am mythical »

If the car would be a simple as a Volvo I would gladly accept but not a Mercedes even if it was Edward who will give it. The Audi would be nice too.

Yes he is. He loved Jacob as a son too and he would react the same way if it was Bella.

It was classically Charlie I would not picture him in any other response.

I kinda felt that it would be a perfect wedding as well as Jacob showing up somewhere during the event. What I did not expect was the reason Jacob got mad.
You may be brave enough or strong enough to live without me, if that's what's best. But I could never be that self-sacrificing. I have to be with you. It's the only way I can live - Bella

http://constantdevotionrpg.proboards.com/index.cgi
cullenfan30
Settled in Forks

Post by cullenfan30 »

I don't think I would have been as reluctant because Edward was going to be her husband, therefore it would be both of theirs.

Yes. Charlie really cared for Jacob and his father, so I'm sure he felt he was doing the right thing.

I figured Charlie wouldn't be too thrilled about them getting married but then I think he knew it was coming,eventually. I was surprised at Renee' but pleasantly so. She just wants Bella to be happy.

I was not nervous, but extremely excited for the wedding. I think I teared up a little it sounded so beautiful and I could just imagine how happy Edward was.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-Yes probably. Edward really wanted Bella to give the car, and its not like Bella asked for it or anything. Edward was being a sweetheart buying her gifts (:

-Yeah, I think it was justified. Charlie knew Jake and his family so even if he wasn't the police chief he still would've felt a responsiblity to do something to help the Blacks.

-Hahaha I laughed when Charlie found out! His reaction was funny. Renee, I expected her to be more upset. I was totally suprised she was like, expecting it.

-Not nervous for the wedding, I was excited! I could not wait to read all about it! To be honest Jacob was the farthest thing from my mind, because I was too busy wondering what the wedding would be like to think about him haha.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight