Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Can'tFightAnEclipse
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by Can'tFightAnEclipse »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

I probably would because a new car is a big gift and I would feel like I had to repay them with something just as big!

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

I think it was nice of Charlie to put posters up because he really cares about Jacob and Billy and is close to them. He could have left it to Billy as Jacob is his son but I think the fact that Charlie is a police officer made him want to help and make sure Jake was safe.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

I admit, I did find that part quite amusing. I knew Charlie wouldn't like the idea but I knew he wouldn't completely object to their engagement because he knew how much Edward meant to Bella. He reacted better than I thought he would. He actually made me laugh with the remark about how Bella had to tell Renee but then I think he must have felt betrayed because Renee was fine with it!
I thought what Renee said to Bella when she told her was really sweet and supportive. I thought she would freak out and be really mad but I was glad she wasn't.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?

I felt quite awkward when they got married because I knew the attention wouldn't be good for Bella as she was likely to have a clumsy moment, especially in a long wedding dress! Apart from that, I thought the wedding was good and I guessed that Jacob would return to see his best friend getting married even if it hurt him a lot. I wasn't surprised that he got mad after a while and left early. I liked that he showed up because I think if he hadn't he would have regretted it later.
I like the night...without it we'd never see the stars.
Babygirl67
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Babygirl67 »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
i would except the car i mean the gift was thoughtful and the mercedes seemed pretty nice

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
well i know charlie was trying to help but i think he took it overboard and he should have left it up to billy

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
i thought it was rather calm then i thought he would react and same with how renee reacted i thought she would have gave bella some long lecture about it.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
i thought the wedding was gonna come after this chapter well i think jacob probably will even thought he's thickheaded..
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Alphie wrote:1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

1. Well, let's see... If I were in Bella's place, and I received a car from my soon-to-be spouse... I suppose I would feel a little upset. For one thing, a car is very expensive- I would feel like I didn't deserve such an outlandish gift. More so if it were an "outlandish" car, like the Mercedes she got. :)

2. I don't see why anyone could fault Charlie for doing that. He thinks of the Blacks as family- it's only natural for him to react that way. We have to remember he's not involved in the whole supernatural world that exists around him, so he's even more frustrated than he should be, had he known.

3. Hmm. I sort of expected Charlie's reaction. I did not expect Renee to be so... favorable, however. After all the discussions Bella had with Edward about her hangups with marriage, realizing that Renee was the source of it all, it seemed rather- what's the word? Flippant?- of Renee to go along with the news.

4. I wasn't nervous about the wedding- I knew Alice would see to it that things would go according to plan. She probably didn't see Jacob coming back, and neither did I- even when Edward told Bella about the "surprise wedding gift" and took her to meet Jacob. Now that I'm really thinking about it, though, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that he did show- he loves Bella too much not to have come.
meganleann
Settled in Forks

Post by meganleann »

I doubt it very seriously. I would feel some guilt, because it's so expensive, but it probably wouldn't last long. I'm definitely not like Bella where gifts are concerned! But I can understand why she would be so reluctant over the new car, it would feel like a stretch for Edward.

I did and I didn't. I did because Billy is his best friend, and he wants to help Billy find his son in anyway possible, but at the same time, I didn't because 1) the whole deal with no juridiction over the La Push reservation, and 2) it would have seemed better if Billy had, because Jacob is his responsibility. I'm a little mixed on this.

I was super shocked, especially over Renee's reaction. You can kind of see where Charlie's goes because he goes on parental instinct, the whole "You're pregnant, aren't you?!" reaction, etc. Jumping to conclusions, so to speak, but then taking it well. However, you expect Renee to be totally against it. I was reading it thinking, "Oh no, Renee's going to flip out, she's not going to handle it well" but I was impressed by how she based her judgement on knowing Bella and knowing that Bella is not going to make an irrational decision where marriage is concerned.

No, like everyone else, I was super excited! It was something awesome to look forward too! I figured that would be when Jacob would show up though. So yes, I was expecting Jacob to show up, absolutely 100% sure of a confrontation between him, Bella, and Edward.
MadeHimSayOw
Settled in Forks

Post by MadeHimSayOw »

Alphie wrote:1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

1. Well, I love presents so I'm not as gift-phobic as Bella. But that being said, a car like the one he gave her is a bit much I think. He's driving around town in a Volvo for goodness sakes! He might have gotten her something a little less attention-grabbing, yet still safe, since she hates being the center of attention. The after car is fine though...gotta let the boy have a little fun ;)

2. Yes, he is the town police chief so he has every right to post notices in the town.

3. Both of them reacted better than I expected they would, especially Charlie. Maybe they were both expecting it and knew that once Bella makes up her mind about something, she's not likely to go back on it. They trust her judgment probably because she is such an old soul.

4. I loved the wedding scene. It was so beautiful how Bella was all nervous and then one look at Edward and she wanted to fly down that aisle. Can't blame her really! I was expecting Jake to show up but keep to the shadows and not reveal himself to anyone. Edward would know obviously, but he wouldn't have said anything to Bella (not to keep secrets, but because Jake was making it clear he didn't want to be seen by hiding). But I was wrong obviously! It kinda pissed me off that he upset Bella on her special day though. He had no right to ask her about her sex life at all!!
TwilightRose1
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by TwilightRose1 »

I wouldn't be reluctant to accept a car, but one so extravagant to have everyone stare at me doesnt sound like much fun. It would be fun to trae in the BMW I have now for a Mercedes though! :)

He's just concerned. Everyone else knows where Jacob is. Charlie is just trying to get Jacob home safely.. he doesnt know any better. As for the Res, I think Charlie should leave that up to Billy... His intentions are honorable,butJacob is Billys son.

Charlie was to be expected.. I mean,, his only daughter is getting married at 18.. but i think charlie was doomed to respond like that no matter when she got married lol Renee shocked everyone I think. We all sort of expected her to over react like charlie, but she was very accepting of it all.

Yes!!! I was terrified! Ahhh i had no idea what would happen! lol I did think Jacob would show up... if he hadnt - it would have been realllllyyyyy sad.
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

Yes because I would have thought having Edward was a gift in itself

No, he should have minded his own business Billy could have handled it.

I thought him jumping to conclusions was an over reaction even though it was justified. What else would he think? And I think Renee should have been more upset.

YES. I thought something was going to happen and she was going to end up with Jacob. That would have killed me.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
CrazilyObsessed024
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about one thing or another involving Twilight

Post by CrazilyObsessed024 »

Yes. I don't need a car like that! Ha ha. I prefer giving gifts, recieving them makes me feel bad.

I think he went over the top considering he was the only one flipping out. He should have sensed that something about it was off. And left it more alone.

I didn't expect either one. Well Charlie somewhat. But I felt like there was this big set-up and then just an anti-climactic end. Sorta like the book has...

I just hoped Bella wouldn't screw things up! Ha ha. I didn't have thoughts on Jacob. My thoughts were all for Edward. Ha ha
ImageImageImageImageImage
ShortStuff_<3
Wandering Through Town

Post by ShortStuff_<3 »

Well, i guess being from Edward i would've got used to his generosity by now and seeing as we were about to get married to him, whats mine is his so its also an indulgence present for him too.
2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.It's nice to see that Charlie cares, but it is really none of his business. He should've listened to Billy when he said that he was old enough to take care of himslef and come home when ever he wanted. Obviously Jake needed a break from La Push and Forks and Charlie should respect that.
Wow, i totally didn't expect Renee's reaction. i mean, Bella was just so freaked out about her mum's opinion, it convinced me that she wouldn't be enthusiastic about it at all Especialy as in twilight she was worried about Edward's intense love for her and was pleased about the fact that according to Bella, "it was just a crush". Of course everyone saw Charlie's coming.
I was nervous, but i was excited too. I couldn't wait to read about the "i do" moment and see if Bella's apprehensions about the wedding lifted. Of course, i also wanted to see just how much Alice had enjoyed planning it!! [lolz] I was sure that Jacob wouldn't come, i was so surprised that he did!!! it was totally unexpected to me - a bolt from the blue.
Dear Jacob, I WIN. Sincerely, Edward.
[i'm.betting.on.ALICE] :D
>>> ADRENALINEE RUSSSHHH <<<
EdwardCullen4eva
Settled in Forks

Post by EdwardCullen4eva »

1. It depends on how well i knew edward. If i just met him and he gave me some expensive car, i might be a little reluctant. How often is it that a stranger comes up and gives you a sports car??? If i knew him, of course i would say no, just to be polite, but if he insisted, and i knew it made him happy, then i would say yes.

2. I was a bit annoyed that Charlie put up posters, becuase seriously, do you think that Charlie would do that for Edward, not likely. I think that Charlie was fine doing that, but if Charlie knew the secrtet that edward was a were wolf, he probably wouldnt, which explains why Billy didn't. Another reason i think is becuase Charlie was trying to make a deal of showing Bella how much he like jacob, or how much more he like Jacob over Edward.

3. I was really annoyed the way Charlie acted, becuase aren't you supposed to support your kids in the decisons they make??? I think Charlie could have put on a happy face, and been happy for Bella, becuase this meant a lot to bella, and even more to Edward. I was NOT suprised at Renee's reaction. I did not believe Charlie when he assumed the way Renee would act. After all, Renee was a lot more supportive about Edward than Charlie.

4. i was a little nervous, when Bella was meeting Kate and Tanya, only becuase Tanya used to like Edward and I thought that Tanya might be little rude to Bella, but after Bella met Tanya and they were all nice to eachother, i wasn't really nevous, but excited. I wasn't really thinking that much about Jacob becuase of everything else that was on my mind about their wedding, but i was glad Jacob could put his feelings aside to make the day even more special for Bella.