Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tonya
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by Tonya »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward? Heck no crazy question.;)

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation. He was concerned I think he was justified.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted? I expected Charlie to be very angry yelling something like, "Over my dead body"!! . But I assumed Renee would act the way she did.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up? No I was excited for the Wedding and no I did not think Jake would show.
nmadison
Settled in Forks

Post by nmadison »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

I would accept the car as a gift since I was engaged but I would feel as Bella did (ie: everyone staring). Fancy cars and I aren't friends...

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

I think Charlie acted as a concerned friend since he wasn't aware of the many factors contributing to Jacob's disappearence. But yes, he went a little overboard!

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

Charlie was no surprise- he handled it well. Renee I expected to make a bit of a fuss about Bella's age and marriage. Glad she looked beyond that though and celebrated too.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?

Yes, I was nervous and nail biting! I knew Jacob would show up! I did not expected him to lose his temper. I knew he would be upset but didn't realize he'd fly off the handle! Wow! :oops:
Amy- mom of 4. Wishing hubby was more like Edward! LOL!

holunder
Settled in Forks

Post by holunder »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
Hm, probably not. I would've expected it but that wouldn't change the fact that it was completly over the top. But I think i would've accepted it more, because this is edwards normal way to give presents.
2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
I don't think so. Charlie and Billy are old friends, he should've trusted his estimation.
3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
Charlie was expectabel, but I was very surprised of Renees reaction.
4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
I was nervous for the wedding since I finished eclipse. But I didn't think of Jacob, I totally forgot him.
I love you.
That's why we're here.

Thanks for my avatar to kfkinslow02
Iroc24
Wandering Through Town

Post by Iroc24 »

1. I have to agree with Bella about receiving a car as a gift. While Edward loves to give gifts. Sometimes receiving them makes you feel like you have to try and reciprocate or that you now "owe" that person something. Although, I also agree with his side of the argument that once married what's his is hers and hers is his.

2. I think Charlie was working under the impression that Billy was in a sort of shock over his son disappearing. I think he hung the posters up more as a friend than as the police chief.

3. I like Renee's reaction to the engagement better than Charlie's. at least she was aware that something was going on. Charlie seemed to be in shock like he didn't realize how serious the relationship was.

4. I had the same type of jitters as Bella. I was worried about how everyone would act. I also have a sour feeling towards weddings because just like Bella, I haven't had good role models in the marriage category. I hoped that Jacob would show up and I really like the way SM wrote it.Where it wasn't a big scene (to the people at the wedding) but beautiful in that Edward danced her off the floor towards a surprise. I also liked that his brothers were there for moral support and to keep him from doing something he would later regret.
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

a gift from edward??? you'd have to be crazy not to accept!! well...bella is kinda crazy so... :lol:

even though he's the cheif of police, doesnt mean he cant help out. i mean billy's in a wheel chair, it seemed to me he was doing a favor. :roll:

charlie's seemed logical...dad-like. renne is a different story! i thought bella was dead meat! but i was shocked at how she reacted! this was me the entire time i was reading her reaction -----> :shock: :?:

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?\
not nerveous! excited!! with alice planning it, anything can happen! :lol:
Betting on Alice.
VampireAlternative
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by VampireAlternative »

Personally, I would have been completely happy if Edward gave me a Mercedes.

Yes. He put those flyers up more of friendship than of duty. That was really nice of him. But then again, if he really knew Jacob as well as Billy, he wouldn't have done that.

Charlie's reaction was pretty much the typical reaction you expected from him. I was really worried about the way Renee would react, and was surprised in the end. But I started to like her a lot more when I thought about her reaction. It really shows that she know Bella really well and knows that her realtionship with Edward is extremely serious.

I hoped he wouldn't show up. At that moment, I hated Jake for leaving. I thought he was a coward. Don't get me wrong, when I read his part of the book, I liked him way more and started to feel his pain. But I didn't want Jake to crash the wedding because I thought that would ruin everything with Edward. I wasn't worried about the wedding at all, though.
"I then drink about five of these and I can deal with the world. Or the world can deal with a guy full of five cups of "coffee on demand"." - Gerard Way
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

No I personally wouldn't have, I think I would like the car LOL. But I get why Bella doesn't want him to buy her tons of expensive stuff. And I agree with Bella, it is a awfully strange coincidence that her truck broke isn't it?? Hmm? :lol:

Totally justified. Charlie loves Jacob like part of his family. He wants to help find Jake, and I totally understand why he is mad at Billy for not seeming to care about Jakes whereabouts. I'm glad that Charlie did put up the flyers - it shows he cares.

I thought Charlie reacted well. And I was shocked at Renee's reaction! I thought she would have gone mental at Bella - it just proves that Renee knows how serious Bella and Edward are. I liked Renee much better after this, she was taking care of Bella, helping plan her wedding, rather than Bella having to be the adult.

To be honest I didn't really think about Jake being at the wedding. I didn't think he would show up, and I didn't really want him to!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
cecibelle_cullen
Wandering Through Town

Post by cecibelle_cullen »

I don't think i would be as reluctant as Bella although i might try to convince Edward about giving me another car not as fancy as the Mercedes.

Yes, because he is very close to Billy and Jake and he was worried about him, and maybe he wasn't putting up those posters as the police chief but as a friend.

I think Charlie :shock: reacted pretty well, but he was expecting Renee to react in a different way so he wouldn't be the one who was freaking out .

No, I wasn't nervous, I was so excited that they were finally getting married!!! although I was worried that Jake wasn't going to be there for her, it was such a relief when he arrived to the wedding, but i didn't like that they got into a fight because it was a happy moment for Bella and Edward and that fight ruined it.
Image Image Image
Olderthandirt
Settled in Forks

Post by Olderthandirt »

Yes. I believe that it was too much and it sent the wrong message (Bella's perception of it as a tank). As a wedding gift post wedding is another matter. Then she is a Cullen, and it would be expected as Edward's wife, and Bella realizes this.

Yes, it is no more than any caring family friend would do today.

This one really surprised me, given the culture of today and Bella's family history. Nice that the parents were supportive, but a little too much in the win-win category. (Sorry people, this is not my first post on this book - see the last chapter opin. Serves me right for not doing this in order.)

Was I nervous?? No....but this is one of the most highly anticipated scenes to be visualized. We have been teased with visions of and actual dresses in the previous books. Jacob who? the wedding is about Edward and Bella.
Melarian
Settled in Forks

Post by Melarian »

Yes. I don't like people making overly expensive gifts to me - even if such a gift would come from my fiance, I'd still have problems accepting it.

Charlie has every right to act as he does in that situation. He's been involved with the Black family for ages, so of course he's trying to do all he can to help.

Charlie's reaction was pretty much what I would have expected from him. Renee was sort of a shock, though. After all those hints about how Renee is opposed to people marrying too young, I would have expected much more resistence from her. Then, on the other hand, she knows her daughter pretty well and probably understands (at least to a certain amount) Bella's need to get married.

I wasn't really nervous, just a bit afraid that Bella might be overcome by her panic in the last moment. And no, I didn't expect Jacob to show up. I expected it would cause him too much pain to actually see Bella getting married to someone else.