Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
lady4string

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by lady4string »

I think the type of car (missile-proof) seemed a bit over the top, but Edward tends to take things that way. I'm bummed that he got her a Ferrari as her after car though. That's so not Bella. I imagined her with a sporty Lexus or something like that as her vamp car.
ValerieC
Settled in Forks

Post by ValerieC »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
I think it would be a hard thing to accept. However, this is a gift that you are accepting from your fiance...the person you want to spend the rest of your life with and I feel that in that case there are no holds barred. I don't think the feeling of not being able to give back equally to my husband (regarding a material gift) holds much weight in this case.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
I think Charlie is acting on instinct. Maybe's Charlie's fierce determination to find Jacob is his way of dealing with "losing" Bella to Edward. He cannot control the fact that his legally adult daughter is choosing to marry someone he doesn't 100% approve of so his way of dealing with it may be to throw himself into "saving" Jacob. Then again, it could just be the cop mentality of there's a child missing and therefore he has to be found. I'm sure he feels a stronger sense of responsibility to do so being that: a) Billy is one of his best friends and b) It was Sam (also a member of the Quilite tribe) that saved Bella when Edward left her in the woods.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
Hysterical. The description of Charlie's face colors changing had me LOL. It seemed right on target for how Charlie would react though. Renee surprised me a bit. Knowing how she felt about teenage marriage (despite the fact that she thought that her daughter was mature beyond her years) I thought she'd have more of a negative view. However, conflict between Renee and Bella wouldn't have helped the storyline. Additionally, think of how Renee acts....she's more of a friend then mother to Bella....so at 18 if your friend said she was getting married, you may be shocked, but you really wouldn't scold them or forbid it in anyway

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
Nervous? Not in the least bit....anxious was more like it. I think it played out beautifully. Jacob truly loves Bella so it didn't surprise me much when he showed up. It was very a Jacob thing to do!
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
Eh,.. not as much probably. I like nice cars lol.. It would have been really hard to accept something like that though as a gift.. I'm not very good at receiving things from people.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
Of course Charlie was justified!! Jacob was a part of his family too pretty much,.. and when someone runs away, let alone a 16 year old boy.. you might as well try to find him. Can't blame him for being uspet about it. He doesn't understand everything.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
I was definitely expecting something different from both of them! They surprised me,.. but after I thought about it, I was like.. of course that's how they were going to react. Renee always thought Bella was middle aged, and she's so much more like Charlie then Renee in the decision making process. But really, if you think of this from an outside perspective,.. Edward and Bella dated for like 6 months.. he devestatingly left her with no contact for 6 months and then they were only dating for like 2 or 3 months before they announced they were getting married.. kind of impulsive.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
No, I did not think Jacob was going to show up,.. why would he come back for just the wedding. And no again, I was not nervous for the wedding,.. I was so excited!
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

eh...not so much I have a pretty good reations when I get gifts :)

He should of left it up to Billy, it's his kid...no Cahrlie does not have have jurisdiction over the reservation.

I thought it was funny, I expected him to be hell bent on stopping it. Rennes reaction surpised me I expected her to be more mad.

I was so excited for the wedding, and no I didn't think Jake would show for the girl he loves wedding.
**Kathryn**
caellach
Settled in Forks

Post by caellach »

From the beginning, it is obvious that Bella likes to sink into the background. She doesn't like a big deal made over her, she doesn't dress flashy, she doesn't like to stand out. I would love to accept a nice car from someone like Edward. Please?

Charlie was justified. He cares for Jacob - even to the point of wanting Bella to be with him in Eclipse. When he realized Bella and Billy didn't want to look for Jacob, he probably thought he was the only hope for finding him.

Charlie knew. He did. At the same time, I think he hoped Renee would make Bella call the whole thing off. And when she didn't I think it was a shock and THEN he had to really deal with how he felt about the wedding.

Honestly, I don't remember! I was surprised and dismayed at the turn of his and Bella's conversation. It wasn't any of Jacob's business about her wedding night, but afterward I could see his concern.
Timothy
Learning to Love Green

Post by Timothy »

Well, I'm not like Bella, gifts don't make me feel bad, lol. But I can understand her thinking. To be given something as ostentatious as that, and feel that you can't give anything back, is hard to deal with.

Yes, I felt Charlie had every right to put up the posters. It's probably a reaction to Billy's seemingly nonchalant attitude towards his son's disappearance.

I was pleasantly surprised to both reactions. I got a kick out of Charlie laughing, knowing that Bella had to tell her mom.

I was a little nervous. I expected something bad to happen. I did figure that Jacob would show back up at some point.

Death is peaceful, easy. Life is harder.
LemonLegend
Settled in Forks

Post by LemonLegend »

This is a really epic chapter. I like how Edward gets the missle-proof car. Wow, he has a twisted sense of humor!!!!!! :D
To get my username, I somehow managed to mix my favorite band, The Beatles, with my love for lemons. Get it, LemonLegend instead of LennonLegend??!!! Mwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! Yes, i'm a genius. Thank you, i'll be here all week.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

Yes. Gifts are okay, but this is too much.

He should have left it up to Billy, but I can understand why he does it.

Charlie reacted like I thought he would. Renee was a surprise, but also not a surprise. At first I felt surprised, then I realized that it would be exactly the right way for her to react.

No, not nervous. I thought Jacob was gone forever, so I didn't expect him there.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

I would be, I mean a car is a big gift to accept, even if it is needed. You just wouldn't say no if it was there, however, but I think that because Bella always had an aversion to gifts it put her in a position. If Edward asked her, if she wanted it, she would say no, but if she had no choice, or it was just given to her and there was no way out, then she would have to accept and I think he knew that :D He's devious.

I think that he should have left it to Billy. I mean, it's not his son and if his father's not really that concerned, due to the fact that he knows why his son has run away, then he should have left it. It wasn't his place to do so, even if Jacob was Bella's best friend- although maybe seeing her upset about it spurred him to try and find him so it didn't go wrong again.

I love the way he reacted to the engagement, I think that it was typically Charlie in the way that he did so. I don't think he could have reacted any better, and I think that he felt concerned that his daughter was going down the lane he had been down and didn't want her to do that. I think, when he calmed down, however, he realised that she wasn't going to want anybody else and that Edward was what she had ultimatly chosen.
Renee, however, I did not see coming. I admit now, that I don't think I could have seen her ever get mad about it, but she has grown up with Bella and when she visited I think she realised that this wasn't what she and Charlie had had, this was something more than she could see or comprehend and I think she was glad that her daughter was happy.

I was not nervous, I think Bella did all that and more for me! I think that I always knew Jacob would show up, I mean, how could he not? Its Bella's day to be happy and he should have put aside everything for that day to see her and he did.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
Gochiruzeru

Post by Gochiruzeru »

Definitely not. XD I would have been thrilled.

I'm not sure. I guess it doesn't matter, though, since Billy didn't really seem to mind.

I was glad that Charlie was willing to accept it, and I was surprised by Renee. I thought she was against early marriages, haha. It's good that she supported them, though.

I knew he'd show up, and I was excited for the wedding.