Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
inlovewithabook08
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by inlovewithabook08 »

Alphie wrote:1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
ANSWERS

1. Well i think i would be as reluctant if not more than her because i am extremely clumsy ... probably more so then bella, haha, i would be scared i would wreck it, but then again i guess Edward wouldnt buy a car that could be easily destructed. To answer the question though, yes i would be pretty reluctant.

2. I think its up to Billy to decide that, i mean its his son and i know Charlie cares a lot about Jake but he didnt need to put posters everywhere, unless Billy specifically asked him to.

3. I was actually suprised that Charlie didnt get more upset then he did, and Renee's reactiona was fairly calm to, but i guess they did see it coming.

4. Yes, i was pretty nervous ... i really wanted it to go a certain way. Im not sure if i thought to much about if Jake would show up or not ... i was more focused on the whole point of them getting married, but in the back of my mind i wondered when Jake would be brought back into the story and i wondered if the wedding would be it. I kind of had a feeling he might crash the wedding and make a mess of it. haha
The boys of Twilight are my favorite.

LipsForeverSealed
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a black leather chair, that spins, *spin* weee! In Ireland

Post by LipsForeverSealed »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
Yeah definately.., I mean with me its always like you have to be even you'd have to get someone a gift of like the same price and then you'd feel bad that Edward got you a Car and you know you can't ever really get him a gift like that.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
haha Charlies cool, yeah he was worried about the kid he was doing what he could when Billy seemed fairly unconcerned to Charlie about his son

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
Again haha Charlies cool, the laughing about Renee reaction, awh good old Charlie. Yeah Renee was a suprise but I'm glad about the way she reacted shes cool

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
yeah I kept thinking somethings gonna go wrong.., the wedding won't happen and Jacob will pop up and ruin everything.....
LipsForeverSealed
Image Edward Cullen
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
I wouldn't want to get a gift like that. Even from someone I was totally in love with. Its just TOO big of a gift.

He is just worried about him. Billy knows whats going on and everything, but Charlie has to be left in the dark. He cant really know anything. So as someones friend he cares about Jacob like a son probably.

I thought it was funny how he suddenly thought about how Bella had to tell Renee because he didnt think that she would react the way she did. I liked her reaction. =]

I knew that everything would go just about perfect for the 2 of them. Yeah i thought Jacob would show up.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
AlwaysforShaenEdward
Settled in Forks

Post by AlwaysforShaenEdward »

Nope.I love cars..a lot.I mean Edward had the money no doubt to fix up the truck..which i wouldve asked him to do..like pimp my ride or something lol.But hey if my husband to be wanted to spoil me silly then i would have absolutely no objections to that.
Charlie just felt as though he had to do something seeing as how are all practically family.He was worried and wanted to do as much on his end as he could.
i think Charlie was reacting the way any dad would if this same guy who she was engaged to crushed his daughters heart almost a year earlier.Renee on the other hand was kind of a shock..yet kinda not. She always talked about marrying young was a bad idea,but she also saw the unconditonal love Edward and Bella had for eachother..so she was happy as long as Bella was happy.

I was actually excited because im a sucker for love and weddings.I wish Bella wasnt such a sourpuss sometimes and just went with the flow lol..but overall i loved it. I had a feeling Jacob would show..but i thought it wouldve gotten a little more chaotic than that
What i would give to be that stupid lamb!
Augusta
Settled in Forks

Post by Augusta »

I would have. I personally think that a new car was too much. If I were her though I would have let him get me a car the first time he asked but there would be rules. I wouldn't let him get me somthing soo expensive as a Mercedes or something. But maybe something else.

I do. Charlie didn't know anything about what Jacob was. He thought of Jake as a son so he was just worried about him. And for all he knew Jake was just a missing teenage boy. He did as much as he could.

I was surprised by Renee's reaction but figured that Charlie wouldn't be to hard on Bella. He'd seen how much the two loved each other. Bella made it clear in Eclipse that him and her were a package deal. I don't think Charlie wanted fight Bella on that. Either way though he knew that they would get married whether he said ok or not. He probably said yes so he wouldn't miss his daughter's wedding. Expesscaly since he already felt he was losing her. And Renee! That was TOTALLY unexpected. I thought she would be like Hect No! But she wasn't. She was all in favor of it. That was werid.

I had a feeling that Jacob would show up. He wouldn't let Bella get married and not be there for his best friend. He still loved her and would come to her wedding no matter how much he hated what she was doing, who she was marrying or what she was marrying to become. I was nervous for the wedding. I had a little tiny voice in my head that was telling me that something was going to ruin their wedding. But everything turned out good which I was excited to read. I even did a little crying for them. The way Edward was described made me weep buckets of tears.
Cymbrelynn

Post by Cymbrelynn »

I probably would have been just as reluctant. I'm not as adverse to any sort of gift like Bella is (for instance, birthday presents and graduation parties are okay). But I don't like whenever someone shells out for me. It doesn't matter how well off they might be. Something like a Mercedes, even from Edward, would be way, way too much.

I think Charlie certainly felt justified. Do I feel like he was justified? I suppose so. Often when people are completely powerless in a situation they prefer to do whatever actually is in their power. Charlie feels so grateful to Jacob for being there for Bella when she was at her worst. He sees how unfair it is that Edward, after all the pain Bella suffered from his absence, just swept back in and Bella left Jacob in the dust. Or that's how I see Charlie sees it.

I sure wish I could read Charlie's thoughts. This entire situation must have been pretty hard on him. He must resent Edward so much for the pain Bella went through when he was gone. At the same time he can't deny how happy Bella is with Edward around. As much as he might want her to be with Jacob he can't make Bella feel differently. And if being with Edward is truly what she wants and what would make her happier then he has no choice really but to wish them the best. He was also possibly holding out hope that Bella would meet so much resistance from Renee she would be forced to retreat. Alas, there was no such luck. Bella has built up Renee's opposition to the idea of her marrying Edward at such a young age that many complained Renee's quick turnaround was a cop out. But think about it, when a person is dreading something it usually is much worse in their own head than it is in reality. Can you think of a time where you had to do something that you were sure would set someone off and you dreaded and dreaded having to do it but after you did it was like...no big deal? I think that's what happened here. Since Bella practically raised Renee she knows very well what a practical person Bella is. She trusts her.

I was very nervous! One of the things I love best about the Saga is how I can feel exactly how Bella feels. Oh, the nerves! I felt like I was the one about to get married! As for Jacob, I was sincerely hoping that he wouldn't show up.
"Your hold is permanent and unbreakable. Never doubt that." EC
My avatar is from emaleth@vesperarium!
Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town

Post by Shakespeare »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward? Probably. I wouldn't like being so dependent on someone else. I likely would've just refused the car instead of just complaining about it.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation. Of course he was. Jacob is a minor and therefore shouldn't be allowed to just run off. As both a police chief and a friend, Charlie is ethically obligated to attempt to find Jake. In a real situation, I think Billy's parenting abilities would be questioned because of his lack of concern

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted? I didn't like their willingness. They shouldn't be so eager to see their 18-year-old daughter married to guy that she hasn't even been with for very long, especially since they've seen him emotionally destroy her when he left. The book says that marrying young is higher on Renee's black list than boiling live puppies. I'm worried about the puppies...

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up? Nervous? Not really. I was basically speed reading. I was pretty certain that Jake would show. Everything has to be perfect for Bella, right?
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)
mish241091
Settled in Forks

Post by mish241091 »

I'd have tried to say no but only half heartedly, I would love to receive a present like that.... anyway, it's what the Cullens do right? Give out extravagant presents to whom they love. But then I would worry about what I could give in return.

Jacob is like a son to Charlie I think, but in the end I suppose it should have been Billy's choice, not Charlie's.

I found it quite funny to be fair, Charlie was relaxed hoping that Renee would be the one who flipped, but obviously that didn't work so he couldn't really change his mind and suddenly say I dont want you to marry Edward, I think you're to young because he had already accepted it. And I suppose Renee knows Bella better than anyone (just about) so that's why she saw nothing wrong with Bella getting married so young.

I was hoping Jacob would turn up, afterall he was supposed to be her best man so I was happy when he he got to dance with her. I wasn't really nervous about it, it was Bella's wedding, everyone had to be there, or atleast turn up, and there's no exceptions when it comes to Jacob, he loves her too much (or atleast he did).
I can feel what you’re feeling now — and you are worth it. - Jasper Hale

Who’s afraid of the big, bad wolf? - Jacob Black
Ichigo Kitty

Post by Ichigo Kitty »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward? Yeah, because I mean... a car!? A car!? Nobody would even think of giving me a car it seems too much. And if it was from someone like Edward... I'd die...

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation. I still think that he was justified in putting the posters up because he was attacked by Jacob with that transformation and it would have freaked me out if someone suddenly transformed into a wolf.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted? I think Charlie handeled it pretty good he didn't scream or yell at her like some of the fathers I know would do and I was surprised when Rene was for the engagement but it was so cool of her to do that.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up? I didn't think Jacob was going to show up so I was just as surprised as Bella when he showed up.
Ice and Fire co-existing together without destroying each other...

~ E<3B
Just call me Bella
Wandering Through Town

Post by Just call me Bella »

Lol, no def. not. I LOVE fast cars, and I'm only a human. I can't imagine how I would drive with Vampire senses! However, as funny as it truly is I could see being a bit offended by the Mercedes, if you were bella. :lol:

I thought he went a bit overboard. It seemed that the only reason he even cared about Jacob as much as he did is because he wanted bella to be with him and not Edward. I think that it was Billy's call, however as Chief Swan, I'm sure that kicked in and nothing was gonna stop him.

I was a little surprised by Renee, but once I thought about it I understood. Renee knew from the first time she met Edward how in love they were, even if Bella tried to hide it. renee is described as being very observant in some areas, of course she knew. Charlie, I thought the would have gotten more upset, but i guess Edward wouldn't have brought it up if he didn't think Charlie could handle it.
OME no! I was so excited, a little irritated it took so long BELLA! I mean, what took her so long?! I understand, but it's Edward for crying out loud! *stops hyperventilating* Anyway, I was so happy it finally happened. It was perfect, like Alice already knew it would be. I did think Jake would show up, but not be as secretive as he was. I thought he would have made a fuss WAY before finding out her plans. :D
Edward can bust my headboard, bite my pillows and bruise my body ANYDAY!