Chapter 1: Engaged

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 1: Engaged

Post by Riddalyn »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?
I probably would have. I get pretty uncomfortable when people spend large sums of money (and by large I mean anything more than five dollars) on me. But, then again, when you're with someone like Edward, someone to whom that much money is like spare change, then maybe it's different.

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.
I think he was justified. He cares about Jacob, and he doesn't know what's going on. While he doesn't have jurisdiction over the res, for all he knows, Jacob could be anywhere. If he thinks it's fitting to put up posters anywhere in the state, I really think that's okay. He just wants to find his daughter's friend.

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?
I thought Charlie's reaction was so funny. I thought he was going to be much angrier. Remembering Charlie's feelings toward Edward, even though he said he was going to try to remember that he's an okay guy... I thought he'd just explode. Renee's reaction was surprising and nice. I liked that she was so okay with it, that she understood enough about Bella to realize that she knows what she's doing.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?
I wasn't nervous for the wedding at all. It was a happy occasion! I didn't think Jacob would show up, and I certainly didn't think that once he did, he would have a freak out about the honey moon. But then again, Bella probably shouldn't have mentioned it. She should have known that would set him off.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
BerAngelVamp
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by BerAngelVamp »

1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

yea, probably...i'm not one for gifts, and i feel the same way she does, only slightly more graciously than she does....but that was one of her deals!

2. Did you feel Charlie was justified in putting up the various posters of Jacob around town or should he have left that up to Billy? Remember, even as the police chief, Charlie doesn't have jurisdiction over the reservation.

yes. he was worried, and he wasn't as clued in as everyone else was to the real situation...i'd want my best friend to do the same if my kid was missing, misconstrued information or not

3. What were your thoughts about the way Charlie reacted to the engagement? About how Renee reacted?

i thought he'd be more mad about it....but he counted on renee to be the bad guy, and when she wasn't it made him all pouty. i think renee's reaction was perfect and supportive.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?

i was pretty nervous, for her mainly...i swear i thought she was going to fall or something disastrous was going to happen....all those vamps and even a werewolf in attendance...could have gotten ugly....and no, i didn't think jacob would show up....the fact that he did was very surprising. i kind of thought we had seen the last of him at the end of eclipse. glad he stuck around though, jake is cool.
~Amber
MrsEdwardCullen4Ever
Settled in Forks

Post by MrsEdwardCullen4Ever »

Alphie wrote:1. Would you have been as reluctant as Bella was to accept the gift of a new car, even one as extravagant as the Mercedes, from someone like Edward?

Yes. because i would feel the need to pay edward back.. althought there are other ways to pay him back ;) . i wouldn't have wanted to accept it, but after i did i would be happy to drive it not akward. i would feell kool, hehe.

Yes and No, Charlie cared about Jacob and was worried he was hurt. if someone i knew went missing, i would want to do as much as possible to find them. but, if Billy asked Charlie not to, he shouldn't have. if someones own father doesn't want people to know or to make a big deal out of it, there must be a good reason.

I think Charlie took it well,, for Charlie. He reminds me alot of my dad though, over protective about guys. but i would have thought he would have gotten more mad. i like the first thought from him "oh god, your pregnant, aren't you?" :lol:
I thought it made sence for renee to react that way. since she knows Bella and Edward are ment to be together, and it wasn't an inpulse dicission, it was ok. i was really happy she wasn't mad!!

Well,, iv'e become so attached to Bella and her emotions that everything she feels, i feel. so yeah. i was nervous, because she was. and cuz i was so happyy!! :D .i didn't expect Jacob, but i guess if you really think about it, is he really going to be able to not go??
"Isabella Swan I promise to love you foever. Every single day of forever.Will You Marry Me?"
bloodlust5203
Settled in Forks

Post by bloodlust5203 »

I wouldnt have at all... Even from someone like edward, IF im the only thing that he really truly loves and if this is going to make him happy.. THat i wont die or get into some stupid accident as clumsy as i would. Then yes i would have deff taking the car with no problems

Well, honestly that's almost like a catch 22, Billy new that he was fine that he was prolly in the other state and just running around trying to blow off steam,but he really couldnt make it known that he new that jacob really would run away like that, so he had to remain quiet I guess charlie has the right to as cheif, and a right to as being billys friend trying to help find his son again.

I figured how that was gonna be the way they both reacted to it. and i was comfortable and happy with it ;)

YEa i was was darn nervous about the entire wedding!!!!!.. she panicked the second he asked her at the end of new moon!. i was literally on the edge of my chair freeaking out and thinking jacob was gonan come back right when got to the preist and she was gonna freak out and leave edward for jake!. or say she wasnt sure and to put off the wedding a lil longer!. i was happy for a split sec that jake showed up, but he got out of hand, and i was hapy he left
Ella12
Settled in Forks

Post by Ella12 »

Yes, that gift is much too extravagant, especially in a town like Forks. 'Missile Proof', hah, it's unnecessary.

To Charlie, Jacobs like family, he is concerned about Jacob and also he isnt 'in the know'. Billy is fully aware of where Jocob is and knows he had no intention of coming home, but Charlie had no idea. It's completely justified.

I too was a bit let down, i was nervous about Renee's reaction to the engagement & she was fine about it. Charlies reaction made me laugh.

No & No.
forksgirl
Settled in Forks

Post by forksgirl »

I think I would have balked at a car as extravagant as the Guardian, but I don't think I would have been reluctant to accept a "regular" new car (regular to the Cullen household). A Porsche 911 Turbo to match Alice's would be nice. :)

I know Jacob is like family to Charlie, but I don't think he was justified in putting up posters of Jacob around town, especially if Billy wasn't as concerned.

I was really disappointed in Renee's reaction to Bella's engagement. Charlie's was spot on and I laughed as I read it, but I really thought Renee would react more like Bella thought she would have reacted.

I was certainly not nervous for the wedding, I was actually anticipating it and it turned out as well as I hoped it would. I definitely thought Jacob would show up but their conversation and Jacob's reaction was a surprise.
italiangirl1577
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by italiangirl1577 »

Absolutely! I am extemely like Bella in the way that I feel uncomfortable accepting gifts, especially from someone like Edward. And the more extravagant the gift, the more awkward I feel, so yes, I would have a huge problem accepting that kind of a gift from that kind of a person!

Yep. The Blacks are like family to Charlie, and if Bella went missing, I'm sure Billy would put up posters of Bella (especially because he would think it had something to do with the Cullens, I'm sure).

Hehe! I loved how Charlie immediately jumped to the conculsion "Oh my God, she's pregnant!" Renee's reaction was quite ironic, and that kind of stuff usually happens to me, I expect one reaction and get the complete opposite.

I wasn't nervous for the wedding. I was excited! I thought Jacob would show up, because he always says he's not going to do something and just ends up doing it anway.
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

I really thought it was selfish of Bella to hate such a gift. Naturally, I would say, "Oh, I can't accept this." But I would accept it anyway because it is obvious that they really want me to have it.

I think Charlie was just trying to help Billy because perhaps Charlie felt Billy was just in denial. Also, it is obvious that Charlie likes Jake better than Edward because of the amount of pain Edward put her in, however, he didn't know all the details so his acts wer justified.

Stephenie knows her characters better than I do, so I thought they fit.

I was really hoping Jake would show up and I had a feeling that he would. I was not nervous, I knew the wedding scene would be beautiful, of course. And it was. :)
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

Ya, probably. I have a hard time accepting gifts at all-let alone ones that cost so much.

I think that maybe he should have let Billy just do it. Then again, they are so close, so I think maybe he was just trying to help his friend out. He may have gone a bit overboard, but I can see where he was coming from.

I was completely surprised!! I totally thought Charlie was going to blow up when he heard. I always thought that Renee wouldn't be so harsh. She just kind of seems like she goes with the flow.
I'm really happy that they reacted the way they did. This was Bella's choice, and like they said, Bella is more mature and can make her own decisons.

4. Were you nervous for the wedding at the end of this chapter? Did you think Jacob would show up?I was waaaay nervous!! I was convinced that something horrible was going to happen. I'm so glad nothing went horribly wrong. :)
I was kind of expecting Jake. Then again, I wasn't expecting him the way he made his appearance. I thought he was just going to show up with all of the other people.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

- Yes, because I am a very simple girl and Bella's gift is just too "flashy" for me.

- I think since he has known Jacob since he was little he felt like it was something he had to do, but I would have left it up to Billy. Besides, Charlie had no idea about the "werewolves" so he probably thought Jacob needed help.

- I really don't have much thought about it because no matter how Charlie OR Renee reacted, I think Bella would have still married Edward with or without their consent.

- I was just excited to see how her wedding was going to look (I can be VERY imaginative) and yes, I did think Jacob would show up. Even though, he doesn't agree with Edward or Bella's wanting to be transformed, it was still his friend having the greatest moment of her life. Besides, at first I never liked Jacob, but that was just SO sweet that he would dance w/ her in the woods! Now, I have a little soft spot for him. Don't get it twisted, I'm still a part of the "Cullen Clan"! :D
Last edited by -veiled- on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.