Chapter 2: Long Night

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Chapter 2: Long Night

Post by spiritwolf32 »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?
I don't think she was thinking far enough into the future to know for sure what she was giving up. Like she stated, she didn't know that she wanted something until it was already coming. That is why you sometimes never know what you want until you have it coming already.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?
With them there is never any telling. Only Alice would know that one. lol

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?
This is hard to say. maybe it was because he thought all female vamps were the same and they were to familiar to him. He wanted something that was a mystery obviously since Bella was such a mystery to him.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?
I would say 15 since Jane didn't even let Bree off the hook and it was said that she was or looked 15. Although I thought Jane was a.. well I can't say here, but yeah I am thinking 15. That is most of the time when they get what you try to say by telling them that they need to keep the secret. Though the teens in my family never learn until they are adults and then you get lucky there.
acidRAYNE
Settled in Forks

Post by acidRAYNE »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else? Totally. I think Bella's only worry at this point is being with Edward forever. I don't think she realizes that in becomeing immortal she is giving up her abaility to bare children.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth? I think Emmett had planned big wild night out, but I also think Jasper wasn't going to let him get out of hand.

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down? Tanya and Kate are responsible for the succubus myth. I think Edward wanted a more...virtuous...woman.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be? I think this all depends on the child. Usually, around twelve a child knows enough from right and wrong to be able to keep their tempers down if someone tells them no.
ImageImageImage
loveuccs
Wandering Through Town

Post by loveuccs »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?
She doesn't, and she proves that with the sex thing and the baby. I completely underestand, she didn't know she wanted all that stuffs. On the other hand, even if she knew what she will give up, she would do it without doubt.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?
Ehm... no idea! But after I knew the plans I trusted Jasper.

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?
His soulmate wasn't even born yet and he could feel it. It's like the imprinting thing, he didn't decided it.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?
Oh come on! Obviously you can't leave a child alone, ever! He would tear down a complete town :| even if you tell him NO.
I think that if the vampires get frozen in the phisical age when they converted, it's not the same with the mind age. After 115 years they would reach the grown up mind. So... an inmortal child wouldn't be that much trouble if they learn and grow up in mind. It's just bla, bla, bla. I don't know :roll:
It's too green. An alien planet!
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

I don't think so - I can relate to Rosalie here. I think her understanding is limited to her age, but also by her determination and love for Edward. She is consumed by him, which isn't necessarily bad - but since she is completely satisfied with only him, she doesn't realize the things she might come to want at a later age. Although, becoming a vampire would freeze her in time - so if she hadn't already had maternal desires, she apparently won't get them. So maybe the idea is that she won't know what she's missing.

I'd love to know the answer to this! I don't think it was strippers or anything - but I picture some kind of cage match or thrill sport of some kind, since they are all into the fighting and adrenaline rush (you can Google it) situations.

I think she just didn't do it for him - the same as every other woman he'd met until Bella. No spark, no compatibility. It would have to take a major event to change Edward's heart. Plus, if she's the succubus...he might find that a little nasty that she's been around the block so many times. ;) He's way too innocent for that.

I think the age at which a person develops self-control, and knows the difference between right and wrong. When they show self-preservation skills. Tests might be watching a child to see if they were into "showing off" when provoked, or if they were able to just let things slide, keeping it to themselves. Or whether a child can keep other kinds of secrets.

Image Image
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

I think she understands everything perfectly. She wants to be with him forever, so either she hasn't thought about it thoroughly, or she doesn't care.

I'd thought they'd go on a long hunting trip and then have a good ol' brotherly heart to heart.

I think there maybe was nothing to hold him, to catch his attention. He couldnt read bellas mind, and she smelled great. Tanya was just like everyone else. Bella was different.

Everyones different. Depends on the child.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
jawsuhlin
Settled in Forks
Location: "You really ought to give Iowa a try!" - The Music Man

Post by jawsuhlin »

Perhaps, but that's irrelevant. Her situation demands it. She's logical and becoming immortal is the practical solution to a plethora of dilemmas in Bella's life. Plus, she loves Edward too much not to keep him forever.

I don't think Edward would have let them get too out of hand, but I'm sure Jasper edited out the unnecessary to ease Bella's nerves. It's possible that Emmett suggested alternative bachelor party ideas, but once Edward threatened to tell Rosalie, I'm sure he was more than willing to give them up.

First, she was... experienced, to say it kindly. I think Edward was looking for someone he could connect with on a deeper level- someone he could marry, not just mate. Tanya's intentions seem based primarily on physical attraction, and Edward needs more than that in a woman.

Huh. Good question. Well, I guess teenagers are allowed, but even Esme worries that Edward was too young when Carlisle turned him. My guess is thirteen or older would be okay, but I'm not a member of the Volturi. If I was, I wouldn't tell you the answer anyway.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I think that Bella has a general idea of what she will be giving up. I do not think her age has anything to do with it, since people mature at different ages. People are able to make life-altering decisions at 18. Bella has had a lot of time to prepare for becoming a vampire, and she knows that this is what she wants. She might not know all the details about the future, but she knows that she wants that future to be with Edward. And I think that she was ready to make the transition at this point. She has spent so much time with the Cullen's and knows a lot about how they live, so I think she was as prepared as anyone can be. And she has made the conscious choice to be with Edward forever,and join his lifestyle.

I think they went hunting. And probably spent some time having fun in the woods. Measuring their strenght and things like that. Male bonding :) So I think Jasper was telling the truth. And...I can not imagine Edward at a stripclub. That would be the last place you would find him.

Mostly I think it was because she was not what he was looking for. He wanted someone more like himself, more innocent. And someone that intrigued him more, that could catch his attention. I think he knew that he was searching for something in his life, but his soulmate was not even born yet at this point. But I think he was fully aware that Tanya was not the one for him. And Edward was not the type to date just for the fun of it. He wanted it to mean something.

I would say that they would not change anyone that was younger than a teenager. 14-15. It is only from this age on that you can be sure of a person, since they are now approaching adulthood. But this is just my opinion..I'm not sure what the Voltur would think.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

My first answer was "yes, she absolutely does." But then I read ForJazz's answer and almost completely changed my mind! I think she does understand what she's giving up in the now. She's spent time thinking about her family & friends, but not really about her future.

Neither Jasper nor Edward seem like the the "typical" bachelor party kind of guy. Emmett...well, maybe! I think Jasper was telling the truth, but I also think they were going to razz on Edward & maybe do some crazy physical stuff. So, maybe typical minus the naked ladies :)

In short, because she wasn't Bella. Edward is more the old-fashioned, one woman type of guy. He was waiting for Bella before he even knew her, and isn't the type of guy who hooks up just for the sake of it.

I would think (hope) it wouldn't be until after puberty, maybe even as early as early teens? A two year old understands the word "no" but is still innately selfish. Even though I hope it wouldn't be before the kid has grown up a bit, I would think the "test" would really depend on the kid.

Image Image Image
sunnyshine
Settled in Forks

Post by sunnyshine »

I think she had a pretty good idea of what she would be giving up. Not completley...because you don't fully know yourself when you're that young and she still had so much growing to do as a person...but she wasn't really thinking in that mind frame. She figured she could just grow with Edward as a vampire instead of as a human, which obviously is much different. But...I think she had a pretty good grasp of it. Her love for Edward was so definite, she knew that would never change so that's what made it an easy decision.

I was picturing something with fast cars and dangerous advendture :lol:

Because she wasn't the one. Simple as that.

I have no idea :lol: The Volturi make their rules as they go I'm starting to think
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

I really do think she understands what she is giving up for the most part. At this point she hasn't given much thought to how she will feel in a few years when she might want children. That aspect is limited by her age because she is still a kid herself. However, the Cullens have done a good job warning her about what she would be giving up, and of course we all know how this actually turns out lol.

lol I do think he is telling the truth. I mean what exactly are they going to do? Edward isn't technically old enough to get into any sort of strip joint and none of them can go out drinking, so whats left? They are probably going to find mountain lions and bears and just have some brotherly fun.

Tanya is a flirt and she puts herself out there,and I don't think that appealed to Edward. Edward also didn't have to get to know Tanya the way he had to get to know Bella because he could hear Tanya's thoughts. And, as Edward mentions in Eclipse, he has a thing for brunettes lol.

Yes, 2 year olds understand "no" but sometimes telling them "no" makes them want to do things more. I think they would probably be ok with kids who were around 8 years old. At that age they have some idea of what it means to keep a secret. I don't know how they would test to see if a child could behave and keep the secret, but I can't imagine they would allow any children at all because it is too much of a risk. Young children are still in a learning process and if they are forever a child they may never learn how to keep a secret as big as this and understand why it would be bad to tell it.