Chapter 2: Long Night

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 2: Long Night

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?
I think that Bella does understand all that she will be giving up when she becomes immortal. If you had asked me this in TW, NM, or even in E I might have said that she did not fully understand what she was giving up. But now she has been through a lot with Edward and Jacob and I think that she has fully grasped what immortality means.

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?
I have no idea and I want to know what they did do for the bachelor party so badly!!!

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?
He gives us this answer in Twilight when he and Bella are in the meadow for the first time, he explains to her that he has never met anyone that he has felt so strongly for and that includes Tanya; so since he didn't feel any kind of attraction towards her it must have been very easy for him to turn her down.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?
This is so hard to determine because every child is different and they all mature at different ages. I think that it would be very risky to change any child under the ages of say 10-13 since to me these ages and younger are still learning a lot of things about life. But even then it depends on the individual and their personality and their maturity.

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?

I don't think she really understood at this point. She really only knew that she was giving up her family. I don't think she'll fully know until it happens. She just wants to be with Edward forever.. who can blame her?

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?

I really wasn't sure. I am really curious if they actually did go hunting. I don't know what else they would do though?

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?

She wasn't his type. He would have known if she was, he did find her attractive but he was looking for something beyond just being beautiful. He found that in Bella, even though it was a while later.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?

I would say probably 14 or 15. They would have to wait until someone could be mature enough to keep secrets and obviously it would depend on the person. But I'm not sure what the tests would be.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
EdWuRd_HOTT
Settled in Forks

Post by EdWuRd_HOTT »

BeLLa dOeS nOt dEsErVe To Be EGaGeD tO eDwUrD.
i ShOuLd Be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BABY LOVE MY BABY LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edward: MMMuterus

yumyum uterus yumyum
<3<3<3
Settled in Forks

Post by <3<3<3 »

I think she most certainly does. She's ready for this. Throughout all the books, she's saved. But she wants to be the superhero too ;)

Well, i think they had a..er, 'chat', Because remember when he tells Bella that he talked to his brothers and they said it was second to human blood, and all that? I think that's when they had the chat. i can't stop laughing. :lol:

She is also in midnight sun, go read the draft on SM's website if you havent. I don't think theres any real way of knowing why edward didn't like her.

Maybe not 2, of course, but, I think you can't just put an age. A child that is 13 may have a whole lot more self-control than one that is 16. So, i think it depends.
Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town

Post by Shakespeare »

I don't think anyone who chooses to become immortal really understands the concept. Who would want that? Everyone she knows and loves will be gone in what seems like a day to her. And she won't live forever. Everything ends, even if she has to wait until Armageddon. It will come.
I think it's an insult to people younger than her to blame her lack of understanding on age or experience. Bella is just an idiot. 8-)

Eating people, of course. Everyone allows some indulgences during times of celebration. ;)
Well, when I saw the quote on Meyer's site, I was hoping that they'd go to some strip club, pose as sparkly disco balls, and then eat everyone. But I'm guessing that Jasper was telling the truth.

He had a reputation to keep. How many other people are 100-year-old virgins? It made him feel special and unique. Besides, Tanya didn't smell like delicious strawberries.

I'm envisioning something like a dog show. You put a human in front of the kid and make him do tricks before he gets to eat the guy. Maybe he can balance the person on his nose. Wait... Wait... Get him!
Really, the whole thing never made too much sense to me. How come Edward whines about how he knows more than his teachers when his brain isn't more developed than your average teenager?
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)
spidersilk
Settled in Forks

Post by spidersilk »

I think that in the beginning, she didn't really understand, she just wanted to be with Edward. By Breaking Dawn, however, I think she does understand and is willing to make those sacrifices.

I think Jasper was telling the truth. I can't really picture any of the Cullen men at a strip club. Like everyone else, I think they were probably just hunting.

She wasn't what he was looking for.

I've always pictured Jane and Alec as around 11-12, but they were an exception, since Aro wanted to wait to turn them but since they were going to be killed, his hand was pretty much forced. I'd think the youngest would be about 15, because of maturity issues in both mind and body. Mind because of the obvious need to be able to control themselves and not give away the secret, and body because I don't think anyone really likes the idea of condemning someone to the body of a child (Claudia from Interview With the Vampire comes to mind here).
ment2be134
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ment2be134 »

Yes, i think Bella does really understand what she is giving up and i think that she doesn't really know until the vary end of Eclipse. I don't think that age limits people and i don't think that her life experience is lacking in any way to make a desicison about Her life.

What Jasper said they were doing.

that simple Edward doesn't like Strawberry Blonds, haha, no really she just wasn't what Edward wanted and he found no draw to her

I don't really know what age, if i had to say No younger than Ten but i think they would have to know that the child is more in control of there mind and that instinct is not the main part of there life.Truly i never really thought about this because It wasn't something i focused on.
"Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."
~ Edward Cullen

"she's diabolical" ~Emmet Cullen
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

No, I think she understands it all. she didn't in the beginning of the series, but now, after Eclipse, I think she does. Age wouldn't limit he - remember how renee called her a middle-aged child?

I can''t imagine them doing anything, probably just hunting. Maybe they drove really really fast somewhere. :mrgreen:

Edward just didn't see her that way. End of story.

Probably no younger than ten, and it would depend on the individual kid, and how restrained they were with other stuff as a human.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

- When I first read this Chapter, I thought she didn't understand fully about what she would be giving up. That she wouldn't be able to have kids, she will see people that she loves die & will have to live with that feeling forever.

- I think Emmett would have done one of those "stripper" parties, but Jasper would go for the "guys night out" type-thing & just chill with him.

- I think he turned her down because she was so pushy about being with him whereas Bella was interested, but didn't fall all over him...at first, haha.

- If they could be created, I would think around 5yrs or above because they start learning values/ethics at that age & begin to understand them. However, I don't think children are very good at keeping secrets at that age.
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

She doesn't understand, or even try to understand any of it... but she doesn't care because her edward is all that matters to her (at this point), and who wouldn't want to spend the rest of eternity with someone they loved unequivocally?
Sex up some spicy immortal women? I don't know, probably just hunt some big game, i guess...
she has aids? jk. um, maybe because he knows what he wants, and he knew it wasn't her.. I've turned down beautiful women before, not knowing why, only to- years later- end up finding my true love... seems pretty cut and dry to me..
One word: PUBERTY
We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp