Chapter 2: Long Night

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 2: Long Night

Post by Alphie »

Many thanks to Love2Dream for her help with this chapter discission.

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: Chapter 2: Long Night

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Love2Dream for her help with this chapter discission.

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else?

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth?

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down?

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be?
1) Yes, I truly believed that she had thought through the decision. She knew what she was giving up but realized that she was gaining so much more.

2)a. Hunt. b. Yes.

3)She was not his type. Period. Also, in MS, he had Bella on the brain. :)

4) I would say because of Jane, that 12 or 13 would be the youngest they would go. The test would be if they understood correction, discipline and how to resist the temptation to randomly hunt without supervision.(?)
They would need to understand that they as vampires can not make themselves known to the human world and that would be hard for a small child.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by deven »

i think she is overall pretty aware of what will be lost to her. she has spent a long time preparing herself for it mentally. she knows is she would do anything for edward including leaving her mortality family and friends behind.

i doubt it would be a strip club...i mean can you picture edward cullen at a strip club...i dont think so...lol...i believe jasper. i loved this part in the book..it was so funny!

i am not really sure. she just wasnt the right person for him..and he wasnt really the person for casual dating either?!? lol

i think for them the youngest a vamp couldbe would probably be like 15. at that age your not helpless and you can have a handle on yourself. you know the difference between right and wrong. as for the test maybe seeing if they would hunt in the middle of civilization or lure someone out?
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict
Cymbrelynn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Cymbrelynn »

I think so. Bella has always been mature for her age and I think in Eclipse she came to full terms with what it would mean to become a vampire. At the same time I don't think it's something anyone can ever really prepare for because it's so unknown. She is ready as much as she is capable of being ready, though.

They definitely wouldn't do any sort of strip club type activity. Edward is far too much of a gentleman for that. They probably were just going to hunt. And razz on him a lot.

Because Edward was always looking for Bella without realizing it. He didn't know what he wanted but he knew what he didn't want and that was everything that isn't Bella, if you can follow that. He would only go for something if it felt right and it was impossible to be with anyone else since it would never have felt right.

I always imagined Jane and Alec being around 13 so that's the youngest that we know of that they allow to exist. Although, I think Aro had wanted to wait longer on them but couldn't as they were being put to death, right? It also depends a lot on maturity level too. Not every 13 year old could be a vampire. Hardly any, I think, in modern times. I think the determinig test is quite simple: how discreet and in control of killing are you?
"Your hold is permanent and unbreakable. Never doubt that." EC
My avatar is from emaleth@vesperarium!
alinc
Settled in Forks

Post by alinc »

I think Bella does understand, she is quite mature for her age and is willing to leave her family behind for love. Bella has been through quite more than many her age, though she hasn't experienced much of life, I think she fully understands what she is giving up.

I want to imagine something more than hunting, but I can't. My imagination running wild I still can't think of anything wild.

I don't think that there was much of a challenge for Edward. He knew what she was thinking and in Midnight Sun (gasp yes I caved and read it) she made a pretty forward play for him. I don't think Edward would really want anything that is "easy"

Two year olds are evil, the understand no but it doesn't mean they would obey. I think that probably ten years is probably the youngest. They could set up a scenario where they put the child into a difficult situation and see how they react..but then that would be hard to do without involving humans...vampires are hard to disguise.
brianna_cullen
Wandering Through Town

Post by brianna_cullen »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Love2Dream for her help with this chapter discission.

1. I think that Bella had a pretty good idea at the beginnig of what beign immortal would mean for her(and Edward). But in the end, I guess it was good that she got pregnant, so that she got her priorities in order. And she had Renesmee!!!
2. I think that Jasper was telling the truth because Edwarad wouldn't let him lie. Of course, I could be wrong, and Jasper could have MADE Bella trust him, and Edward too.
3. It think that he turned her down because she tried too hard. He likes Bella, who dtried to avoid him at first.
4. I think that about 6 would be a good age. THey can learn enough, don't have many expectations, and they know whan to keep their mouths shut.
Edward can bruise me anyday.

rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

I think she has a fairly good idea of what she's giving up. She won't know what it's like, however, until she goes through with the change, but she's willing to risk it to be with Edward.

Jasper doesn't strike me as someone who lies, and it sounded like he was being truthful. However, i think going on a hunting trip-something they do all the time-is hardly a good bachelor party. I hope they were a little more creative than that ;)

I don't think Tanya was Edward's type of woman. It seems like Tanya and Bella are completely different from one another, and so if Edward loves Bella's personality, I doubt he would like Tanya's. Also, maybe he was just being honest with himself and excercising his good morals by not giving in to Tanya, considering that he knew he didn't really love her.

Hmm...thats a tough one. I would think they'd want them old enough to be able to talk and walk and understand the basic fundamentals. But not so old that the children would lose their cute factor. BUT vampires are able to retain and learn alot more than a normal baby, so if the child was changed at an extremely young age, they would probably learn quickly the rules.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Does Bella really understand all that she will give up in becoming immortal? Do you think her understanding is limited by her age, life experience, or something else? I think she does understand. She only wants kids with Edward, and she thinks she can't, so what's the point in not becoming immortal?

2. What do you think Emmett and Jasper were going to do for Edward's bachelor party? Was Jasper telling the truth? I thought that they might just hang out and work on cars or something like that. I never thought they would get a stripper. Or if they did, that Edward would just run back to Bella. Jasper was telling the truth though, you could tell by Edward's eyes later on.

3. Tanya made a play for Edward long ago. We don't know much about Tanya, but we know quite a bit about Edward. Why do you think he turned her down? Because he didn't feel that way about her and wouldn't want to lead her into something he wouldn't be committed to.

4. About Immortal children. At what age or developmental stage would the Volturi allow them to be created? A two-year-old usually understands the word no, but evidently that wasn't enough. How would they determine if the child could "keep the secret"? What would the determining test(s) be? Probably refraining for drinking blood when it was inappropriate would be a test. I think their age may be between 10-12, depending on the child.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
edwardanthony
Settled in Forks

Post by edwardanthony »

I really feel that Bella does understand what she is giving up by becoming immortal. I think that all the 4 books have truly given her the experience to make who she is today as a woman. If you look at the trials and tests she went through, especially when you take in what happened to her in New Moon. that was a very traumatic event for her, however it showed her valuable lessons.

LOl I hope this is still appropriate for me to post online. Honestly, knowing Emmet's humor and how he constantly made jokes about Edward and Bella's sex life, I have no doubt in my mind that they were taking little Eddie out and teaching him about the "birds and the bees." lol thats the thing that seems most plausible to me and goes with Emmet's personality.

Edward at that time, was a very brooding character. Also, knowing what your other is thinking and what is going on in their mind would get tedious. There are some things in a relationship that the other person should not know; Bella did this for Edward. Edward was always used to knowing what other people felt (which was that they thought he was hot and sexy.) Tanya was just like any other girlt that liked Edward. It was the same old same old with Tanya. But bella brought something new.

Again, like others, it really depends on the child and their maturity and intellect. Of course, a 2 year old would never have this. But if you go by puberty and those standards, it could be as young as 8 years old (which I somehow doubt hte Voluturi woudl allow if ONLY the child proved themselves extremely intelligent). But generally for the average person, it is 14 when you can make good decisions.
inlovewithabook08
Wandering Through Town

Post by inlovewithabook08 »

ANSWERS :

1. I think that in Eclipse Bella had a huge eye opening experiance in what she would be giving up in becoming immortal. I think that maybe life experiance might have a impact on her understand, but not age so much ... she always just seemed so mature to me.

2. I think maybe they went to a really good hunting spot and ate. ( That was the only thing i could think of that might make some sense ... haha). I dont think that Jasper was lying, i think he was trying to calm Bella down and also just let her know that vampire bachelor parties are different from human ones.

3. I think he turned her down because he honestly didnt see her in that light, we all know that Edward has always only had eyes for Bella and never felt strongly about anyone ... so maybe he just didnt want to pursue anything unless he truly knew.

4. I think that depending on the childs maturity and whether he/she could prove to them that he/she were old enough to keep the secret and follow the rules then they would possibly let them live.
The boys of Twilight are my favorite.