Chapter 3: The Big Day

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 3: The Big Day

Post by Alphie »

Thanks to jenni_elyse for the discussion questions!

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?
mazimendes
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 3: The Big Day

Post by mazimendes »

Alphie wrote:Thanks to jenni_elyse for the discussion questions!

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?

I never though of this, but I think that this is the last night that she actually sleeps through before conciveing Renesmee. So, her last dream before she is pregnant is about the baby... Maybe.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?

I think that Rosalie has warmed up to Bella since the night she told her the story. Bella undesrtood the reason why Rosalie was like that, an Rosalie understood that Bella just wanted Edward. So, the day of the wedding is just a follow to the truce between them

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?

I don't think that she remarked anything. She would talk to Bella about it.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?

Of course. Because she wanted him happy, and it was the moment of the most happiness for him. But, just like later she says about Renesmee, she discover herself that she was happy too. And that discovery is not reasonable, is unconcius
"Você me ama"

"Sinceramente, amo"
twilightfan1
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightfan1 »

For me, i don't think it is a coincidence, Stephenie wouldn't have started the dream in the book where it was for no reason. i think that the dream came because of how the wedding night symbolised that Bella's part of the deal would soon get fulfilled and that her subconscience was trying to remind her of a time, during her vampire research long ago, when she came across the succubus and thought nothing of it. It doesn't say she does come across the succubus in twilight, but i think Stephenie has said since then that she would have done so.

The memories of Rosalie's human wedding. She talked about how it was big and beautiful because her fiancee was rich and so it was everything she wanted. I think she remembers the feeling of happiness that her wedding gave her and wanted Bella to enjoy hers as much as possible, by calling a silent sort of truce for the day that Bella would have noticed.

I've never thought about this before, on the one hand Renee didn't really ntoice anything strange about Edward during their visit to Pheonix, but she is attuned and has a childlike nature- it seems probable that she must have noticed the oddness with the family. I think in this case however that Renee was just remarking on how alice wanted to do everything herself.

Because once she was finally there at the alter with him, she could finally relax and think clearly. All the worries of being ready for it, what the guests would think when they got their invites, or getting down the stairs fine, was all over and it was just her and Edward. Plus because she could finally get rid of misconceptions of how her mom had felt or others had felt when they got married and could finally feel whst she was feeling herself in the situation meant she finally saw that the mariage was what she wanted.
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

It's obvious there is signifigance; considering the fact that Nessie is well, and imortal child.

I think Rose just honestly, wanted to help. She decided to shove her pride where the sun don't shine(haha, pardon my pun)

I think Renee was defeniently in tuned to everybody's actions...how could she not be? lol

Because she knows that she will turn eventually, and that they will always be together, forever. DUH!

-Dark
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I think it had a lot to do with her getting married and then going on her honeymoon and her getting pregant. I think that deep down Bella knows that her marriage to Edward means she won't have kids, but is trying to tell her that something is up.

I think Rose realized that Bell was going to marry Edward, and that she should accept it. I do think that once Bella understood where Rose had been coming from, and having saved her brother from death, Rose accpeted Bella as part of the family. Rose wanted Edward happy and accepted that he thought that Bella was what made him happy, and if her being with him kept him around, she'd take it.

I think it had a little to do with both. It did come off that Alice knew what she was doing and attuned to what the couple wanted, wanted it to be perfect. For minimal mistakes to happen, Alice had to take control, and she had Esme helping with the planning, so I think that it gave some comfort that Bella was going into a very loving family.

I think it's because she's getting the guy she wanted, and that her (human) family and friends were seeing her choice and know that he would take care of her.

And she had made it to the alter, and made it through the actual wedding. She had been worrying about what could go wrong, and everything went right.
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

Wow, I never really considered that, but yes it is oddly coincidental. I wish I had dreams that foreshadowed my life...

Hmm well maybe because it was a special day for her brother and Bella and she thought she'd be nice. Or it could be that she's finally accepted Bella's choices and understands them.

I think she was just commenting on how Alice is a control fiend and wanted to do everything herself lol.

I think because she knows that her family and friends deserved to see them get married, and that she loves Edward so much so getting married was just a natural step for them.
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I think it was a little of both. She was thinking about it and she normally gives herself nightmares. And I think it was her subconscious telling her she wasn't ready to be a vampire because she would not have everything she wanted. She didn't know it but she really did want a child.

Rosalie was happy for them no matter what and she wanted to help because she cares about her brother and wants the day to be special.

I think she was just remarking to Alice being a control freak =]

Because all her life it was drilled into her brain as being a bad thing. And when she is there in the moment she really knows its not because she found the love of her life.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella? I thought that there was some sort of significance, although I couldn't understand what it was at the time.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance? It was her wedding day and they were going to be sisters, why spoil everything, right?

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself? I think she was saying that Alice is very forceful about things she likes to do, like planning weddings.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing? Because it was just him and her (to her, not really) and she didn't worry at that time about other people, just about the two of them.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I thought it was Bella being Bella.

Maybe Edward, Alice or Emmett warned her to be nice. Other than that I don't know.

I think she was just meaning that Alice wanted to do everything herself.

The way that Edward was looking at her during the ceremony must have convinced her of this.
esmecullen740
Settled in Forks

Post by esmecullen740 »

I think that it was like foreshadowing and a coincidence.I thought that Stephenie was trying to give hints about Renesme coming.

I thought that it was probably that Rosalie finally accept the fact that Bella will marry edward and just deal with it

I think that Renee probably thought that Alice wanted to do everything her self because if she did think that alice was attuned,she would probably mention it to Bella.

she finally realizes that it was a good thing when she thought that they're gonna be together for the rest of their existance.