Chapter 3: The Big Day

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 3: The Big Day

Post by Riddalyn »

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?
I guess it could be either. I'm sure it was just Bella being Bella, but of course it's huge foreshadowing.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?
Maybe she just finally accepted that this is what Bella had to do to be completely happy. This is what Bella had her mind set on. Even Rosalie is able to accept the facts.

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?
Even Renee's not that observant. I'm sure she was merely saying that Alice wanted to be a one woman show.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?
Because she loves him. He loves her. They are meant for eachother... soul mates, no matter how hokey it sounds. There really was no reason to wait to marry him.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
keds723

Post by keds723 »

1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?
This one is tough actually...if it had been a few days after it could have been Renesmee showing Bella what would happen, which would be uncanny! But that seems nigh impossible since she was just a little egg at the time of the wedding. It most likely is just Bella being Bella. She has dreams all the time, like in Twilight when she was dreaming of Edward so much...and then in NM actually day dreaming Edward's voice! It could be Bella's strange imagination at work.

2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?
All signs point to Rosalie being nasty at the wedding! Seriously, if you think about it, she's still human and she's getting married, which is what Rosalie wanted (oh and a baby, which Bella gets later). I think that in Eclipse when she talks to Bella, maybe she is seeing her point of view and sees that Bella wants to become a vampire and she sees she has thought about her decision and respects that. For her to be completely happy would be impossible, but she can at least be cordial if they're going to be family after the wedding.

3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?
I think Renée is oblivious to the pun she makes in saying "rip our throats out." I think she's just is remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself. With the relationship that Bella and Renée had wouldn't she try to mention something to Bella about it if she noticed something? I think so.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “ knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?
a) It's Edward, and he is FINALLY hers. She mentions this periodically throughout the series, but especially in BD. She doesn't want to lose him again and these are all things that make him...not able to leave. b) It's Edward. c) I think that she was worried about getting married because of what her parents and the community would think, but probably after seeing Edward for the first time that day, she was relieved that it would be just them and she wouldn't need to worry about society's prejudice. Yay Bella!
CrazilyObsessed024
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about one thing or another involving Twilight

Post by CrazilyObsessed024 »

I think there is significance. Maybe it was just foreshadowing for us. But I think it signifies something about Bella. What that thing is, I don't know. Ha ha

I think Rosalie was just trying to be nice for Bella's big day. And she knows there is no changing Bella's mind now, might as well get over it. Plus I think since the whole Vulturi Italy thing, she has warmed to her substantially. Along with in Eclipse where she tells Bella her story.

I took it as they tried to convince her to let her do something, or they would try, and Alice would stop them. She'd catch them somehow, or they always told her because they knew she was in control and might flip out. I don't think Renee noticed anything special about her though.

4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “{i} knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?
Because she realizes it is about her and Edward. Not everyone else. I think she finally realizes she shouldn't, and doesn't, care about what everyone else thinks, because the only person she cares about (well not that blunt, but you know what I mean) is Edward.
ImageImageImageImageImage
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by deven »

it could have been like showing what her choice of marrying edward would bring her..but i never thought about that timing before...hmmm but it very well could have just been bella being bella

that fact that she couldnt deny that bella was part of the family anymore and that she had made her choice and there was no going back now. so rosalie couldnt do anything to change bellas mind

i think it was just alice being controlling, i dont think renee knows anything

because she spent all this time worrying what people were thinking about her getting married at eightteen and she just realized..who cares. i love edward he is mine forever!
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict
Babygirl67

Post by Babygirl67 »

i think bella worries to much which gives her night mares i think its bella being bella she mkes a big deal out of things because i think she was nervous

because it was bellas wedding and of course bella is marrying her adopted brother and maybe rosalie wanted to be helpful for once

i think she was kind of remarking that alice wanted to do everything herself bu ti understand she wanted the wedding to be special for edward and bella

yes i think she realized that edward would love her and make a good husband
i am mythical
Settled in Forks

Post by i am mythical »

Bella sometimes had dreams that warn her of what she would be facing in the future some sort of precognition through her dreams but all cryptic. Just like in Twilight the time she dreamed of Edward always in the peripheral because at that time Edward was staying away from her and then of Edward and Jacob with Jacob turning into a werewolf and then lunging for Edward.

Rosalie in Eclipse did promise Bella that she will be nicer to her that's why she helped. All of her Cullens were busy preparing for the wedding and Rosalie being Rosalie could only do where she can help best.

It's Alice wanting to do everything herself.

The wedding was part of the deal she made with Edward she didn't really wanted to do this but when she made this realization she knew Edward was not the only one getting what he wanted but she wanted this too.
You may be brave enough or strong enough to live without me, if that's what's best. But I could never be that self-sacrificing. I have to be with you. It's the only way I can live - Bella

http://constantdevotionrpg.proboards.com/index.cgi
natterss707

Post by natterss707 »

I can't really say for sure, but I do think at the time that there was some kind of significance. Only because most of her other dreams had somehow shown her things that were going to happen in the future and kind of reflected her life and the situations that were happening so it's hard to believe this is just a dream that has no significance. But then again, she has the same kinds of dreams later, so that leads me to believe it's significant.

The fact that Bella would be her family soon might have something to do with it. I also feel that after they talked they kind of have an understanding and she doesn't have to be mean to her anymore.

I didn't take it as anything more than Alice wanting to do everything herself. That's just a part of who Alice is, she likes to throw parties and doing all of the planning and stuff.

Her and Edward getting married is a symbol of their love for each other and they know that they will be there forever (literally.) Just how special the moment was made her not care about all of the other worries that she had.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
MadeHimSayOw
Settled in Forks

Post by MadeHimSayOw »

Alphie wrote:Thanks to jenni_elyse for the discussion questions!

i don't know...in the past, some of her dreams have had some prophetic quality to them. and the dreams seem to get closer and closer to reality as they progress.

i think that rosalie has thawed considerably towards bella ever since she went to italy, and then even more so after they had their little slumber party talk in eclipse. rosalie probably is more in tune with the type of person bella is now...has made more of an effort to understand her. and just like bella's parents, rose realizes that bella's mind is made up and that she doesn't make decisions lightly.

just alice being a control freak ;)
i think she kinda had a moment similar to one i had on my wedding day (although bella was a bit more neurotic). i look at it like she finally realized that she was getting a marriage, not just a wedding. it's so easy to get caught up in all the big-day details that you can forget it's the lifetime with your partner that you should be excited about :D
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

I think that it is half-and-half. Bella always has crazy dreams, but also in no time at all she winds up being pregnent.

I think that because it was such a special day for both Bella and Edward, that movtivated her to be nice. She didn't have to be. But she chose too. But, maybe it was just so that everything went smoothly, and Alice didn't have to do all the work.

I'm pretty sure it was Renee thinking that Alice wanted to do everything herself. With the way that Alice had planned and took over everything, it seemed to be no surprise that she wanted to do everything.

Bella realizes that Edward loves her as much as she loves him, and probably more. She gets to stay with the guy that she loves for the rest of her mortal and immortal life. She realizes that everything is perfect at that precise moment in time.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Alphie wrote:1. At the beginning of the chapter, Bella wakes up from a nightmare about immortal children. As we know, the dream foreshadows the events to come later in the story. However, it seems coincidental that the first time she has this nightmare it is the night before her wedding. Do you think that there is any significance to this? Or, do you think it is just Bella being Bella?
While we all realize this was foreshadowing, I believe that at this moment, it was just Bella being Bella. In the previous chapter, she recalled her conversation with Carlisle regarding the Denali clan, and all the talk about immortal babies. We've all seen just how vivid Bella's dreams can be, so this was probably her subconscious getting a little carried away again. :)
Alphie wrote:2.Bella is stunned when Rosalie offers to help Alice get Bella ready. She remarks, “I had never been Rosalie’s favorite person…and here I was, callously throwing away everything she wanted in life like it was garbage.” What do you think motivated Rosalie to be nice to Bella in this instance?
Probably a summation of several things. Edward loves Bella. Bella loves Edward. Bella goes to Italy to save Edward, after the mistake that Rosalie made. Rosalie tells Bella her story. She and Bella have their conversation after that story. Rosalie wanted Bella to see her point of view, and I believe that she thinks Bella has really considered it, but Bella's made up her mind- and as shallow as Rosalie can be, I don't think she'd want to have an unhappy/unfriendly relationship with someone about to become her sister for eternity. At this point, I think it's a show of "I respect your decision. What can I do to help?"
Alphie wrote:3.Renée says that Alice would not let her or Charlie do anything for Bella, except give her the hair combs from her grandma. She remarks, “Every time we tried, she all but ripped our throats out.” From Edward and Bella’s visit to Florida in Eclipse, we know that Renée is almost as observant as Bella when it comes to the Cullens. So, do you think Renée was remarking about how “attune” Alice seems to be with everyone’s actions? Or, do you think she was simply remarking that Alice wanted to do everything herself?
With the whole wedding thing going on, I doubt that Renee was "all there" to be that observant. She was probably just making a casual observation with an interesting choice of words.
Alphie wrote:4.During the ceremony, Bella realizes that she had been silly about being afraid to get married. And, as Bella looks into Edward’s eyes, she says, “I knew that I was winning, too.” Why do you think she finally realizes that marrying Edward was a good thing?
Well, we all know her hangups about marriage, thanks to Renee. However, we also know one of Bella's main insecurities- that she's afraid that Edward will one day just disappear like the mythical being he is, that there's no way she deserves someone like him. Edward has tried to prove, time and time again, that she is the most important thing to him now- and I think at this moment in the wedding, when she realizes that he loves her so much that he'd wed her, binding himself to her in so many ways, that she finally accepts that Edward does love her and her alone. She comprehends that he really does want to stay with her, forever- and she gets to stay with him, too.