Chapter 4: Gesture

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Re: Chapter 4: Gesture

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought? hmm. I never really thought about it. maybe because there's so much else going on & to think about. (it is her wedding day!)

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend? wasn't it to support Leah? (chopping of hair). She went to the wedding because Seth was there & she wanted to watch him &make sure he would be safe with all the vampires. (gotta love Seth)

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two? probably a couple things 1)JEALOUSY and 2)he is worried like Edward that Bella is breakable & will be hurt.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used? when reading it I always just assumed Edward's volvo. but after reading other peoples ideas I'm not sure anymore......... I don't have my book (being lent out) or I would go reread this part. I never noticed it wasn't said!

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch? I think it's because they're all together & happy. Plus she's happy she's w/Edward forever & her life is where she wants it to be. And plus she's just Happy.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?

Like your first sentence...I had the feeling she was predicting something. I didn't know, at the time I first read it, what she was aluding to...although fromt he moment Edward mentioned that Jacob was the rightful Alpha, I suspected something would happen causing him to claim his birthright. I think Bella didn't finish the thought because, as so often happens with her, she senses something big concerning Jacob and Sam but cannot know for sure what that something is.

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend?

I believe Sue chopped off her hair for the reason Bella suspected...in moral support for Leah. I'm sure she felt for her daughter, being the only female werewolf. The same way friends will support a cancer patient by shaving their heads... I think Sue was trying to help Leah feel like she wasn't alone. I think Sue attended the wedding to watch over Seth and Billy. I don't think she could have believed there ws anything in her power to do to protect them from the vampires, but maybe she felt that as a witness she could be sure they were both safe. There definitely seems to be a strong protective, loyal streak in Sue Clearwater.

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two?

I think there are a couple of different reasons why. One, he is obviously jealous. The entire time he's been boastful that he could offer Bella the physical relationship that Edward couldn't because of the danger involved. I think he was hurt even more to think of 'his' Bella (the human Bella) having a real human honeymoon with Edward because it was the one thing he'd always been sure wasn't going on between them. Two, I believe he really did fear for her safety. Edward told him once that a physical relationship would be too dangerous for Bella and Jacob knows there is a risk of Bella being really harmed or even killed in an attempt. He saw Bella's pending transition into a vampire as a kind of death, but I don't think it scared him as much as the idea of her being killed because she tried to have a real human honeymoon.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?

I always assumed it was the Aston Martin...I don't know why though. It could have been any of the cars, but since SM mentions that the Aston Martin was Edward's special occasion car, I think I'll stick with my first assumption on the issue.

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch?

I think she is so hopeful because she wants to believe there is a possible happy ending out there. Charlie and Renee don't have the strongest relationship throughout the book and seeing them all holding hands may have given Bella the feeling that she could unite all her families and be truly happy without giving up anyone in the end. Or, it could just have been that she knew she was going to have to give up Charlie and Renee soon and hoped that they'd have each other to lean on when she disappeared. Could have been either or both, I guess...

6. (I'm typing this one from memory...) What was you reaction to seeing Jacob at Bella's wedding reception?

I was surprised...but it made sense for him to show up. I don't think he could have been ok with missing it. It was another chance to say good bye and Jacob seemed completely unable to give up any chances to see Bella. I think he thought to go and give her the one gift he hadn't yet...being happy for her happiness...in the end he lost his temper and failed...he allowed his pain to show through. But I think he had good intentions for being there. I was on the edge of my seat from the first moment I knew he was there though, cause I was just waiting for something to happen. Jacob is just too emotional to hold back I think.

~Michelle

Thank you Naureen!!
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Post by Seeker-Mar »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?

Hopefully she realized she should stop thinking about Jacob and concentrate on her brand new HUSBAND! :roll:

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend?

I think she attended to watch over Seth and be with Charlie.

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two?

Hum, this is a tough one. My initial though is that he can't stand to insert Edward into his fantasies. If you know what I'm saying. Still, I'm not sure it's all selfishness. You would think he would know Edward better by now and trust him not to hurt Bella, though...so I think it's mostly selfishness.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?

Hum, since it was covered in shoes I think it must be Alice's Yellow Porsh. :D

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch?

Good question? By all accounts she should be crying her eyes out about how she will never see her human family again. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that now that she really has Edward she isn't so freaked about about getting older anymore. Maybe it ties in with her willingness to stay human after the honeymoon. She doesn't feel as urgent a need to say goodbye to all things human.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. James 3:17
-veiled-
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by -veiled- »

- I'm not sure...she is a bit random at times, so it seems that maybe she was drifting off and going to another subject?

- Everyone has been saying this, but I feel that she cut her hair because of Leah as well. And was she speaking w/ Charlie a little more intimately before or after the wedding? I think before, but I don't have the book w/ me so I can't be so sure. Maybe she went to the wedding because of Charlie, but more likely Seth/Leah were her two main reasons.

- He's still in love w/ her even though he realizes he can't really have that sort of relationship w/ her, so it's most likely out of jealousy.

- I would not be surprised if they just used Edward's volvo w/ can's and flowers hanging from the rear, haha. Or they could have used the vanquish.

- Because she hopes that her family will remain the way it was that day.
KaylaMarieBlack7
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

I dont really know.

I dont know why Sue would chop off her hair. And for being at the wedding and being uncomfortable, maybe she just thought she should be there for Charlie and Billy.

I think that is bother Jacob because we all know that he loves her. And he just thinks that something bad can happen to her if she were to have a real human honeymoon, and he doesnt want that at all.

I think that they probably used the car that Edward gave Bella. I think that would be a pretty nice honeymoon get-away car.

Because she knows she will be a part of the Cullens. And I dont mean because thats her new last name now. I think she is just hopeful that she gets to spend her life with them.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
edward x is amazingg
Settled in Forks

Post by edward x is amazingg »

Straight up. Jacobs jealous. =] he is fully aware that Edward would never hurt Bella. So he freaks out cause I feel like he realized bella reallllly wasn't going back to him. Like the wedding itself didn't prove that. =]
look after my heart -- i left it with you
tiffanyh
Settled in Forks

Post by tiffanyh »

I think she didn't want to think about what it could possibly mean to her and her families.

Maybe she was expecting to turn into a werewolf, too...? I think she simply attended to give Charlie support. They got close in Breaking Dawn. It was the beginning of their relationship when Bella left her home with Charlie to live with Edward.

He's terrified that Edward will kill her... permanently. At least with the transition, she'll still be around. If Edward couldn't control himself, she'd be gone forever.

Well, duh... the "special occasion car"... the Aston-Martin. :)

I think she hoped she'd be able to control herself... and merge the two worlds, human and immortal, into one blended life.
Isabella Swan? I promise to love you forever — every single day of forever. Will you marry me?
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 20, p.460
TEAM EDWARD!
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

I'm not sure. Actually, I don't really see how this is signifigant. ;P

I don't know. Maybe she figured, "Hey, everyone else is chopping their hair off, why not me?" She probobly attended because of Seth. Seth is friends with the vampires, and he knows how important this is to Bella since Jacob wasn't suppose to show up.

He's probobly scared out of his mind that Edward would accidently kill her. At least if she was a vampire, she wouldn't actually be dead.

My guess would be the "special occasion" car. After all, they just got married. Doesn't that count as a special occasion?

She has Edward; that's what she wants more than anything. He's more important to her than her human family, but it still hurts her to say good-bye. She's probobly hopeful that she'll be able to see them again someday.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought? I don't know. It isn't one of those things that I stop to think about. Authours right to writing the book...

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend? Wow... my memory is bad! Sue chopped off her hair? I remember Jacob chopping off his hair.
3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two? He thinks Edward will hurt hurt to have the traditional deverginization of the wedding night. Same concern as Edward.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used? Dang good question. I am sure it was decorated, knowing Alice. SM likes to keep a few things unsaid even though they happen. Not a chance Alice didn't do anything. Unless it was Edwards car that took them to the airport. I can't remember this far back sadly.

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch? Because this is the beginning of her Happily Ever After!!!!
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
Renesmee_Bella
Red-Eyed Vampire
Location: In Ohio, waiting for Edward to come through the window.....

Post by Renesmee_Bella »

I think it's because she was hoping that he would be the chief, the alpha. I think she wanted for him to be happy that way, that he could have the happiness that Sam has. I think she wants him to imprint like Sam did so that the pain she caused him would go away.

2) I think it's an attempt to look stronger for her children. Some women believe that shorter hair is the sign of power, you know how men have short hair...

3) I think its mainly because he's afraid Edward will hurt her during...well. the honeymoon.But i also think there's a small part of him (no matter how tiny) that doesn't like the thought of Edward and Bella making love.

4) I think it was Edward's Vanquish because this was a special day for him and he would want to drive his favorite car on the best night of his existence.

5) I think it's because she sees Renee and Charlie and Phil and she wishes that could be her and Edward and Jacob.

♥~*Proud Member/Founder of The Mookie Adams Family*~♥