Chapter 4: Gesture

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Re: Chapter 4: Gesture

Post by sarah! »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?

idk.

2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend?

i think she cut it so it would be easier to keep track of. I think she attended to support Bella and Charlie and go with her son.

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two?

It it VERY dangerous to Bella's health. Jacob only wants his best friend to be safe.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?

Maybe Carlisle's Mercedes because it is fast and has tinted windows.

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch?

She sees everyone together and happy which makes her happy! :D
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
Ifeellikerain
Learning to Love Green

Post by Ifeellikerain »

sarah! wrote:
2. Why do you believe that Sue Clearwater chopped off her hair? If she was so uncomfortable at the wedding, why did she attend?

i think she cut it so it would be easier to keep track of. I think she attended to support Bella and Charlie and go with her son.
I thought she cut it to make her kids feel more comfortable with having to have really short hair (sort of like what families and friends of cancer patients do sometimes) did i read that somewhere or just make it up? anyways i like your reasoning too!
~*teamswitzerland*~
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ~*teamswitzerland*~ »

1. Bella has a knack for predicting outcomes. She makes a comment to herself about Jacob turning his back on his birthright as pack leader, and this left Sam Uley "to act as the chief of legends and magic now. . . ." Why do you think Bella didn't finish her thought?

hmm... good question, and I don't have a good answer for this one. I'll try the next one.

I think that in the book Bella said something about Sue being in solidarity with her children. Since Seth and Leah are werewolves, Sue cut her hair to show her support for her children... And the reason that she was uncomfortable at the wedding but was still there, regardless... it's possible that maybe she was there because someone else was there ;) (see the top of page 752 if you have finished the book)

3. Why does it bother Jacob more that Bella plans on a real human honeymoon than her pending transition in a week or two?

I think that it bothers Jacob more that she wants her 'human honeymoon' with Edward than her coming change does because all he cares about is her safety. He loves her, and all that's important to him is that she is unharmed. I think that he actually knows that she will still be Bella after she is changed, even if it takes years for her to be back to normal. At the moment, he just cares that she could be hurt very badly, and he just wants the best for Bella.

4. There is no description of what car was decorated and used for the honeymoon get-away. What car do you believe they used?

Hmm... I read someone else's answer to this question, and I like their answer. They actually analyzed all of the possibilities. I can't remember who it was, but they were like on page 1. I think it might have been the first post... anyways they came to the conclusion that it was most likely Carlisle's Mercedes, and I like that answer.

5. Why is Bella so hopeful when she waves goodbye and sees her families on the porch?

I think that she is hopeful because there is the hope that Charlie and Renee can still get along, even with Phil now in the picture. I wouldn't say hopeful that they might get back together, though. (see answer for q.2)

BTW, I was just wondering why some of these questions don't discuss the significant events in this chapter, like Jacob coming back. I think that we should have questions that ask people things like "How did you feel when Jacob came back? Did you sense that he was going to come back at some point?"
Taylor Lautner. (drool.) That is all. :)
watchoverme
Settled in Forks

Post by watchoverme »

~*teamswitzerland*~ wrote:BTW, I was just wondering why some of these questions don't discuss the significant events in this chapter, like Jacob coming back. I think that we should have questions that ask people things like "How did you feel when Jacob came back? Did you sense that he was going to come back at some point?"
I absolutely agree with you!! I think that would be more meaningful instead of people just answering the same set of questions. Although...would that need a different thread, seeing as this is just for chapter 4...or we could come up with those kind of questions for the chapter. :) I'm game for anything!
Megan

4 Books. 2360 Pages. Worth every second.

Before you, my life was like a moonless night...
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Quite a valid point and as I created the list of questions, we can certainly add an additional one as it does pertain to this chapter.

6. Jacob did returned in time for Bella's wedding reception, what was your reaction to seeing him there? How do you interpret his comment, "I guess I've been wandering back this direction for a while, and maybe it's because I was headed here." How do you feel about the interaction that took place between Bella and Jacob?
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
keds723
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by keds723 »

una wrote:6. Jacob did returned in time for Bella's wedding reception, what was your reaction to seeing him there? How do you interpret his comment, "I guess I've been wandering back this direction for a while, and maybe it's because I was headed here." How do you feel about the interaction that took place between Bella and Jacob?
I love that you're bringing these questions in here!!

I was happy that Jacob was there, actually. He, after all helped her when she was down and out, but at the same time, I don't think he respected the boundaries of the setting. This influenced my feeling of how Bella reacted. I thought she was pretty ridiculous since it was a day about her and Edward. I felt like her feelings shouldn't have been what they were, and she could have hid them a wee bit better. I don't think this was entirely Bella or entirely Jacob's fault, but still. I was impressed at how amazing Edward was...(As always)
watchoverme
Settled in Forks

Post by watchoverme »

Yay for new questions! You did a great job with the first few by the way. :)

I was worried about Jake being there, as I was unsure of what was going to go down. As that scene progressed, I could tell that he was really trying to be on his best behavior for Bella's sake and I was okay with it. Then things got kind of crazy, but I was expecting it on a level.

His comment...I think that it just shows his devotion and that he really wants to be there for Bella. I think he was subconsciously heading back, and then when he realized what he was doing knew he needed to be there. Perhaps it had to do with gaining closure and that concrete, yes, she is in love with him, yes she is married.

I was proud of him for how well he handled himself in the beginning. But, as I alluded to earlier, I knew it wasn't going to last. His emotions are such extremes that it wasn't going to take much to set the trigger. And...it would have been so atypical to leave thiings on a happy note. There had to be something to bring them back, and in a way, the sour ending brought them back together in chapter...5 (I believe...or 6 - don't have book next to me currently).
Megan

4 Books. 2360 Pages. Worth every second.

Before you, my life was like a moonless night...
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

She must not have wanted to go there. If he had taken on the role of cheif, Jake probably would have tried to start a war of some sorts with the Cullens over Bella. As childish as that may sound, it's something I could see happening.

I think it was to show that she supported her children, even if she doesn't like it. She went to the weding because Seth went there, pack be damned.

Because I think he accpeted that there was no way to change the outcome Bella's future. It scared him that she would willing to have sex with a vampire.

I think that they may have used the Mercedes because it was faster and had the thinted window's.

I guess she hoped that she would be able to see both of them after the honeymoon for a few years until they had to disapper and still be able to keep in contact via email.
dragonrider713
Wandering Through Town

Post by dragonrider713 »

I have no idea. Her thoughts were probably just flowing right into each other, not really forming anything complete.

think Sue chopped off her hair in support of Leah. She probably went to the wedding partly to keep and eye on Seth and partly because of Charlie.

Jake had already resigned himself to the fact that Bella was going to become a vampire. That idea was nothing new to him. But the thought that they were going to have a real honeymoon and he could kill her was probably much more shocking. I think he'd rather have her alive and a vampire than dead.

It was probably the Volvo. I can't see him letting them go anywhere near the Vanquish, and the Volvo is what they're used to.

She probably thought that she'd be able to see them again, somewhere down the line.
xxonceuponadreamxx
Settled in Forks

Post by xxonceuponadreamxx »

In answer to the question about her predicting the future, i have noticed that A LOT throughout the series. She always seems like shes about to find something then her brain just changes. It's almost like her brain is self conciously saying 'You know what? I dont really want to know.' At first I would laugh and say 'Come on Bella it's right in front of your face!' i say that with a lot of books and characters, but then i came to realize, how many times have we not realized something that was in front of our face, so i give her more slack. Besides, her almost blonde-like nature (dont worry, im a blonde too) is what makes her so funny, it adds to her clutzy behavior nicely. :D
Bella is so lucky, everyone in her world is hot...everyone in mine has pimples.