Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Post by Alphie »

Lots of gratitude to Malaz who came through in a real hurry for us and provided these questions!

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
allisonlovesedward
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Post by allisonlovesedward »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
I didn't think she would get hurt at all. It suprised me when she woke up with bruises...

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
I know that he would be horrified.. to see her like that. But she was so happy! He shouldn't have reacted so harshly. He kind of ruined it for her... She woke up expecting him to be happy too.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
I think that it's because he loves her so much. He's never felt about anyone how he does for Bella.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
I figured Bella would eventually talk him into it lol. She was pretty persistant for a while there... haha. That would be SO hard.
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

As strange as it may sound, I wasn't expecting her to get hurt at all.

I thought he could have handled it a little better when he knew that she was happy. He obviously wasn't intentionally trying to spoil the mood, he just thought that she would have woken up regretting it and maybe be scared of him or something. That's what I imagine he would be thinking about.

Well he is extremely generous to his whole family and Bella is now included in that title, but even before then he was generous I just think it's how he is with the people he loves and cares for. He may have learned it from his human life and picked it up from the Carlisle and Esme as well.

No I thought he was really adamant about his decision with the way he kept her busy during the days and stuff but there's ways around things obviously haha.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

I didnt really have any expectations in mind going into it. But i liked the way she was hurt, not too much, but just subtly.

I think he was justified in being mad at himself and possibly even regretting making love to her because she got hurt, but I also think that he should have realized Bella's mood and that she wasn't angry at all. So yes, maybe he should have lightened his mood up a bit.

Hmm...I think Edward was always this way, somewhat at least. I doubt he got all his genorosity just from being with Carlisle.

He seemed pretty intent on his position, but I also suspected that Smeyer wouldnt put that part in unless it was going to make some subplot. Plus, i know how stubborn Bella is and how sex crazed she is now so...
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

I wasn't expecting her to get hurt at all . . . but then again I didn't spend much time thinking about that problem before the book came out.

I don't think he was justified exactly, but I think he thought that Bella would have been angry with him for hurting her, so he wouldn't realise he was 'souring her mood' in the first place.

I think he must have been generous as a human anyway, but being with Carlisle encouraged and strengthened that trait.

Yes. Bella talked him into the whole thing in the first place, when he thought the consequences could be worse than a few bruises, so I knew she would succeed.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
keds723

Post by keds723 »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less? I knew that something would happen...but I knew that Edward wouldn't have killed Bella. I actually thought maybe he'd turn her then, but then decided against it.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?” Totally justified. Bella was being silly.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that? I think it has to be. It could have been a character trait of him in his human life that we never saw, but he's had a lot of time in his years to think of what and who he is.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself? Of course.
KaGe
Settled in Forks

Post by KaGe »

I thought it was a given that Bella was going to be hurt in some fashion, so the bruises were just the right amount.

Edward's reaction was totally justified. I mean come on he did watch as each and every bruise formed, all the while knowing he caused them. Bella's buzz kill was just an unfortunant side effect.

I don't think it's a learned behavior, perhaps it's another one of his traits he brought along from his human life that's been intensified.

Are you kidding, of course he was going to falter. Bella is way to stubborn and persistent to let him get away with keeping that promise.
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I thought that she was going to be hurt more but I guess I shouldn't have because Edward wouldn't have let it happen.

No, they are just bruises. He should cut himself some slack.

I think it is learned. Carlisle always gives Esme extravagant gifts so I guess Edward was just following his lead.

Yes because he is all to willing to give Bella everything she wants.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I was thinking that Bella wouldn't be hurt at all.

No, because she didn't realize that anything was wrong until he did sour the mood, she was perfectly happy. Edward always says she does the opposite of what he expects, yet he never expects her to feel the opposite way he thinks she will.

I never understood what that meant.

Kind of, yeah. He promised himself things before like that he would never allow himself to love Bella, never to date her, never allow her to find out how one becomes a vampire, never allow her to become one, never go back to Forks after the disaster at her birthday. And everything he ever promised himself, he wound up allowing to happen.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:Lots of gratitude to Malaz who came through in a real hurry for us and provided these questions!

1)I did not think about the outcome of their night together until the day after. But, after reading it, I think Edward showed a lot of restraint with Bella - hats off to the man.

2)No. He ruined it for her and for me. :lol: He should have listened to her when she said she felt so happy. Instead, he sulked and pouted and that 'killed her buzz'.I can understand his distaste in hurting her accidentally, but he went to extremes in his reaction - so Edward.

3)I think Carlise led by example and in turn this brought out a generous spirit in Edward. We learn things from our parents. This was a wonderful trait to have been given, so to speak.

4)Oh yea!! He could not resist his wife - period. He is only a healthly man..er vampire after all. They were perfect for each other and they both knew that. I thought that was cool. 8-)
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict