Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
livelove&twilight
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Post by livelove&twilight »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less? no i never thought she would get hurt and to be honest i dont think edward did either i think he just said all that so he would expect the worse but he really knew he could never hurt her

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?” i mean i guess he was justified he felt awful about seeing bella like that and knowing he did that but he did a good job trying to cover it up

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that? in alot of ways yes because he learned so much from carlisle and esme and never wanted to disapoint them

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?haha im not gonna lie i had to look up the word falter... but yes cause i knew bella would somehow make him do it and whatvere bella wants he basically gives her
peace.love & twilight
lovin them cullen boys :D

MySunJB21
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by MySunJB21 »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less? I was tipped off on what the "honeymoom" was going to entell so I knew "that" part of what I was wanting was going to be disappointed...all that aside I have had my own thoughts on vampire/human physical interaction and the visuals that Stephenie left us to ponder were just right.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?” As always Edward is just looking out for Bella, his internal struggle will always be at the surface while Bella remains human, he has to always be caucious of what he is doing...I don't think he expected Bella to be as eager as she was.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that? I think it all comes from the time that Edward was a young man. Men were raised be gentleman then, so different than they are now. His added wealth is just a bonus for giving his lady what he believes she deserves.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself? Bella brought back some of his human insticts...I had no doubt in my mind that he would cave.

Banner and Avator by the talented ForJazz
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?

My mind was all over the place on this one. I thought maybe she'd be changed in some way - like her skin would be blue from cold or something. All I was really sure of was that he would not kill her.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”

I think he had no way of knowing that she was honestly not hurt. All he saw was her entire body in bruises. He's been with her for all this time and never inflicted so much as a scratch...his worst nightmare was hurting her himself and now it came to be, and he feels that the cause was not justifiable. It must be so frustrating for her that he can't just read her mind this one time. All he sees is bruises, so he has no reason not to think she's lying about the pain, or the pain during. I don't blame him.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?

I don't think he learned that from Carlisle the way a boy learns to open doors for women. I think they are both simply compassionate, caring, chivalrous gentlemen. When it comes to loving Bella and feeling like he owes her the world in return for loving him, I don't think Edward had to learn anything. I think he's so generous towards her, and towards those who deserve it, because it's his way of compensating for being the damned creature that he believes he is. THAT is something that he learned from Carlisle. That he can have a purpose on earth that would benefit others, rather than live the life of a horror movie. That he could love and give back, rather than be a bloodthirsty predator. The reason that Edward can love at all is because of Carlisle - because of the things he learned from him and saw by observing and admiring Carlisle.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?

Well I don't know if I predicted it - but I SURE WANTED HIM TO. That was unbelieveably hot. And once it was over for the first time, and Bella survived, and did not feel pain, I figured Edward would get better with control, the same way he did with touching her and kissing her.

Image Image
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
I didn't think she would get hurt at all. But I guess like the kissing, hes had practice to control himself. With this he hasn't. And she did ask him to hold her tighter.. and He'd do anything to make her happy..

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
Hes never ever hurt her physically (unless causing the whole in her chest in New Moon is considered physical...) and seeing her like that, and not knowing if she really meant what she said. I felt quite sorry that Bella was being a tad mean to him there.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
When you've got all the money and time in the world, ofcourse you're gunna try and give it all to the person you love. I don't think it's learned. I think its cute, and its a result of loving someone so much. Love isn't a learned behaviour :)

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
Yes. Har Har Har. If Bella wanted it, he'd give it to her. :D awwwwww
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
jawsuhlin
Settled in Forks
Location: "You really ought to give Iowa a try!" - The Music Man

Post by jawsuhlin »

Honestly, I was expecting Edward to turn her then. For some reason, I thought that would happen in a moment of passion.

He was obviously overreacting a bit, but I think it was okay for him to show regret. However, if he would have reacted in any other way, it wouldn't have been very Edward of him. Can you really picture Edward shrugging it off? "Suck it up, Bella. It's just a couple of bruises. Let's go again." That was not going to happen.

Obviously Edward has acquired many of his better qualities from Carlisle. I think it's beautiful and the reason Edward has such a close bond and deep respect for his father figure.

Of course. As Edward has admitted in the past, he is a man.
therealmrswhitlock
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by therealmrswhitlock »

I didn't think he'd be able to hurt her, when it came down to it. As he said, "Every fiber of my being shies away from anything that could potentially harm you." Or something close to that. So, I guess my answer would then be less. But rough sex isn't always a bad thing... :twisted:

Absolutely not--if he would've just opened his eyes an seen that she was experiencing the ultimate after glow he would've known that she didn't mind the bruises. And anatomically speaking, there was one part of her that he couldn't not hurt, so she'd be sore regardless.

I'm not sure. I mean, we don't know that much about his human family, except that he looks like his mother, Elisabeth, and that his father, Edward Sr., was a lawyer, I think, so there's no way to tell if he learned it from them. Granted, Carlisle and Esme are very loving, generous people, but I think that the generosity comes about because money means nothing when you have forever to get it back, earn interest, etc. so the material world is nothing to the immortal. Maybe he did learn it from them. Who knows?

Of course! After all, as he said, he may not be human, but he is a man! :lol: And he can't resist it when Bella says please. He's such a pushover.
Left my heart on the Gen Y thread....<3 my Lexily!
How could anyone say no to this face? Awww....
Riddalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Riddalyn »

I suppose I expected Bella to be hurt a little bit less, but for Edward to still feel extremely guilty about having risked her life in the first place. I thought to myself "Either she's going to be bruised up, but nothing too serious and Edward is going to feel awful, or she is going to be perfectly fine and Edward is still going to feel awful anyway. Silly boy."

No, I don't think so. He was focusing more on his guilt on having seen the bruises other than paying attention to the fact that she was so happy that she didn't even notice them at all. Nor did she care about them.

Well, in my opinion, generosity IS a learned behavior, for anybody. You're not born a genuinely nice person, you have to learn to be that way. He could have learned it from his parents (his birth parents) or he could have learned it from Carlisle and Esme... but I don't think it matters. The point is that he is very generous, and that's really what counts.

Yeah, I knew it wouldn't last. He said it himself, he may not be human, but he's still a man. And, he finds Bella much too persuasive to deny her much.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
twilightfan1
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightfan1 »

I didn't expect her to get hurt at all really. The fact that Edward agreed to try convinced me that everything would be ok... i assumed he wouldn't agree to try at all if it was really as likely as he made it sound that she'd get hurt because Edward would never let Bella get hurt again because of him!

I think he was justified in doing it... it must have been maddening to lie there and watch Bella all night as her bruises started appearing! Plus he didn't know he would sour her mood, he probably expected her to be hurting

I don't think it is. I think generosity just comes naturally to those with a never ending amount of money whom have hearts that are stronger and so can love more fiercely. Alice is also pretty generous where Bella is concerned

At first i thought that Edward wouldn't falter, i was like ah tough for you Bella! But you could tell she was breaking him down! All that lingerie...Edward didn't stand a chance!
Alice_in_Cullenland
Wandering Through Town

Post by Alice_in_Cullenland »

I had a feeling the experience wouldn't be perfect. Edward is a cold statue, so I can't imagine the experience would have been comfortable...

What I didn't expect was Bella's reaction to the whole thing. I don't care how romantic your experience just was, if you write off your injuries as Bella did you are either a masochist and into extremely kinky stuff, or there's something severly wrong with you. Bella's justifications for the whole thing made it worse. "I know he didn't mean to hurt me. I know he feels bad about the whole thing. I know he says he won't do it again." Where have we heard that before?

...I just broke one of the rules by saying that, didn't I? Okay, Edward's actions were different than the thing I just implied in that he does have an excuse, Bella probably bled during the experience, (women do that during their first time,) and the blood might have made the whole thing more difficult, plus the thing was basically a constricter trying to snuggle with a bunny without crushing it to death. I just wanted Bella to acknowledge the fact that he was capable of hurting her. No, I'm not saying she should have dumped his shiny vampire butt right then and there and filed for a divorce, but she should have laid down the law. You know, stuff like, "Okay, no more X-treme snuggling. And I top."

Uh, yeah? I know he was sorry for what happened, so yeah, he should have killed the mood. They should have discussed what they would do to prevent that from happening again. Let's face it, the first time is very awkward, and as they got more comfortable they might have tried more...eclectic things during the experience, which might have led to Bella getting hurt even more.

He lived in the early 20th century and was raised by a man who lived in the 18th century. (It is the 18th century, right?) In those times women stayed at home and had and raised the family, and in exchange the men had to whoo them. Edward is having to unlearn everything he's been taught in order to adjust to the modern times he lives in, and he seems to be doing a decent job. Bella and Edward seem to be equals to me once Bella becomes a vampire.

Actually, no. If Edward wants to do something, he does it. He's just stubborn that way, it's what kept him from killing Bella throughout their entire relationship. Then again, Bella is just as stubborn...so it came down to whose stubborn would win out. Bella won.
therealmrswhitlock
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by therealmrswhitlock »

Carlisle lived in the 17th century--he was born in the 1640s. Not that big a deal, only off by 100 years, which is nothing to a vampire.
Left my heart on the Gen Y thread....<3 my Lexily!
How could anyone say no to this face? Awww....