Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alice_in_Cullenland
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 5: Isle Esme

Post by Alice_in_Cullenland »

therealmrswhitlock wrote:Carlisle lived in the 17th century--he was born in the 1640s. Not that big a deal, only off by 100 years, which is nothing to a vampire.
Ah, thank you for correcting me. I'd forgotten that detail.
Rosalice
Settled in Forks

Post by Rosalice »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?

I have to say I was quite surprised when Bella realised she was covered in bruises. In Eclipse when Bella is on Edwards new bed and he is lying on top of her at one point she describes the way he balances his weight perfectly so that he doesn't crush her so I thought he would have more control. I kind of expected the destruction of the surroundings though (pillows, bed etc), but thought that would mean that Bella went unhurt.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”

I think he was justified - who wouldn't be anxious if they'd hurt the person they loved?! Think he should have realised more quickly though that Bella really was okay - he might not be able to read her mind but at this point he's supposed to be able to read her face and her moods perfectly - she is a terrible liar after all!

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?

I definately think that this is something that he has picked up from Carlisle - after all he has been a father to him for 90 years and this same generosity seems to have rubbed off on Alice too!!

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?

Definately!! It was proved in Eclipse that Edward was feeling the desires of any normal 17 year old boy and even with the restraint he'd shown previously I think being alone on the island with Bella and the way she was trying to seduce him made it a lot easier for him to give in to his more human desires.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

1) Regarding the “honeymoon”, did you expect the outcome to be different, that Bella would have been hurt much worse? Or less?
I actually expected some bruises. I mean, you can get that even between two humans...And with Edward being so strong, it would surprise me if she came out of it the first time without a scratch. I think he did all he could to not hurt her, but since he didn't know what to expect it was probably harder for him to keep full control. I would say that despite of everything, it went ok. She didn't break anything, and she was happy.

2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”
He took it a bit far, but I can understand his reaction. He probably spent hours while Bella slept, just looking at the bruises on her body. And I can only imagine how that must have felt. He probably loathed himself and felt like a monster. He had just done what he feared the most; hurt Bella. And he didn't know that she was not seriously hurt. Bella is known to try and protect Edward, so he probably thought that she was just trying to let him of the hook. So of course he would be very upset, and he had so much time to think during the night. And it would have been impossible for him to deny the way he felt, Bella would have sensed it and made him tell her anyway.
I do think that he should have let it go much sooner that he did. When he saw how happy she was, and that there was no serious harm inflicted. Bella is a terrible liar, so he could see it on her face if she wasn't happy. So he should know that she was telling the truth.

3) Apparently Edward’s extreme generosity is a learned behaviour. Do you think it is? And what is your opinion on that?
I think that Edward really does have generous nature. That it is rooted deep in his personality. And I think that he would have been generous even if he had stayed human. But of course..genes and learned behavior can't be separated. So I think that he has learned a lot from Carlisle. I think that Carlisle has taught Edward to bring out the best in himself. I think all the qualites have already been inside him, and he has learned how to be a really decent person despite of being a vampire. He has also probably witnessed how Carlisle treats Esme, and learned a lot about how to treat the person he loves. And he loves Bella so much, that he wants to give her everything.

4) Edward confirmed that he will not make love to Bella until she is changed, did you expect he would falter in his promise to himself?
I was sure he would cave. He is a man....And he wanted her just as much as she wanted him. He did say that it had been the best night of his existence. All this, and the fact that he does not seem able to deny Bella anything, especially when she pleads with him, made me sure that he would falter.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

~no, I thought Edward wouldn't hurt her.

~I understood him, but he took it way too far.

~ I think he learned it from Carlisle and from being with Carlisle so long that it rubbed off on him.

~Yeah I figured he would do it anyway.
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
FindYourTrueCalling
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by FindYourTrueCalling »

I wasn't sure what to expect really, although when reading and seeing that she was bruised still kind of shocked me.
I was quite annoyed with him! He was "killing her buzz" to be honest. You could tell she was happy.
Definately. After growing up with Carlise and Emse and seeing how genorous he his, it was bound to rub off on him!
Of course he would falter ;] He is a man with needs. Bella was able to persuade him to make love to her to begin with, so of course she could do it again ;]
ImageImage
TeamJacob.TeamEdward.TeamJasper.
Because of Twilight,I have unrealistic expectations in men.
Forever*Dazzled
Settled in Forks

Post by Forever*Dazzled »

I expected a few bruises. I wasn't sure if he'd loose it and bite and then realize what he was doing and turn her or not. I knew he wouldn't kill her or break an arm or anything though.

He kinda aggravated me. She was happy and she wasn't hurt that bad. I though Edward would be happier that he didn't kill her. Plus you think he would have enjoyed it more.

I think he's like that naturally. It's just Edward. Carlisle could have rubbed off on him and made the generosity a little stronger though.

Yeah. I figured that Bella would have a meltdown and Edward would feel bad and give in.
Oh My Cullen!(c)
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

Alphie wrote:Lots of gratitude to Malaz who came through in a real hurry for us and provided these questions!

I thought maybe there would be a little more to it but then I realized the audience so I think she could have remembered or maybe said more about it?2) In terms of Edward’s reaction to hurting Bella during the night. . . Do you think he was justified in expressing his anxiety by “souring Bella’s mood?”

I think it might have been a behaviour of his or a starting of it before he changed. Bella wasn't that different when she changed. Carlisle stayed true to his upbringing so I think that is was in his nature before and it just increased over the years and by becoming a vampire.I

He said that but in Eclipse he told her he would talk to Carlisle and his brothers and he would try because it was important to Bella that they would do it before she turned. So I really don't think he faltered on his promise I think Bella and him were compromising somethings out between them. Something he did must have made Bella unaware of any pain or her surroundings otherwise she would not have awoken like she had. She didn't know about the feathers or bruises so maybe Carlisle told Edward to do something so Bella would not remember? Well she did remember some because she was very happy when she woke up.
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
teineakasoo
Settled in Forks

Post by teineakasoo »

I think the morning after was a perfect twist. Who would of thought that Edward would be so upset after a night like that. I would even wonder what happened to sully his mood. So, yes I think it was enough harm to refrain Edward from doing that again, but not enough for Bella to want more.

Totally! He main goal in his existence is to not hurt Bella, so of course his physical evidence of harm was too much for him to handle. I mean I was surprised Bella wasn't shocked by the amount of bruises.

I don't think his generosity was something learned, but more ornate? Bella always had a problem that the Cullens had money. I'm sure the Cullen do more than just buy themselves expensive things.

Oh TOTALLY!! He has the same passion for Bella as Bella has for him. He might of needed more cooing than a normal may needed, but I knew his desire for her and his love for her would weaken his resolve sooner or later :lol:
Last edited by teineakasoo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrs.jacobblack
Settled in Forks

Post by mrs.jacobblack »

I guess i kind of expected that outcome because, as we all know, Edward is very strong, which means that he could of, and did injure her a bit.

EDward tends to overreact, or he thinks about things too much. He might have been think of what Bella's reaction might be, which made him kind of feel bad abou the situation.

Edward's extreme generosity comes from the fact of how he loves bella so dearly. Like many of you said, He aacts that way because he loves bells so much.

I knew that Bella would convince him. He usually does anything that makes her happy. So since she wanted to try again, he mostly would try again eventually, without turing her.
sunnyshine
Settled in Forks

Post by sunnyshine »

Honestly I didn't know what to expect. Maybe for her to be hurt worse. Or maybe that he would bite her. But I loved how it turned out. That first night was perfect. I just wish we;'d got more details :lol:

Ummm. That's just Edward. It didn't surprise me that he was moody and mad at himself. But she wasn't that badly hurt and obviously it was worth it to her. To anyone else...i think it would have been an overreaction, but it was totally Edward and didn't surprise me at all

I think it's just who Edward is. Carlisle definitely was a good example for him as well but Edward is good and even a life of eternal damnation couldn't take that away from him.

Yeah. Bella has that effect on him. He wants to make her happy so I knew she'd get her way.