Chapter 6: Distractions

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
LoraJ
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 6: Distractions

Post by LoraJ »

1. What did you think of Bella’s offer to stay human longer if Edward would only make love to her? Did you think that he would give in?

I liked it. I was hoping that is what would happen. Get some more human experiences in while she can. I knew he would give in. He has a hard time saying "no" to her.

2. Did you assume, like Bella, that he odd eating and sleeping habits were due to the amount of activity she and Edward was participating in, or did you have other suspicions?
I seriously had no clue. I have never been pregnant. I did not think it would be possible for Edward. I thought the cleaning crew brought over bad chicken. I was as shocked as Edward.

3. What did you think about Kaure’s fear for Bella’s safety and the argument she had with Edward? If you had been in Kaure’s position, would you have tried harder or been too afraid to confront Edward?
I can understand her fear. I do not think I would have done anything. She probably thought he was going to kill Bella and did not understand how much Edward loved her.

4. Did it surprise you that Edward could eventually make love to Bella without hurting her, or was that something that you assumed he would eventually be able to do with enough control and resistance?

It did not surprise me. He has amazing self control.
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

1. What did you think of Bella’s offer to stay human longer if Edward would only make love to her? Did you think that he would give in?

I think she's a bit obsessed with sex, to be honest. I knew he would give in, though.

2. Did you assume, like Bella, that he odd eating and sleeping habits were due to the amount of activity she and Edward was participating in, or did you have other suspicions?

I had other suspicions.

3. What did you think about Kaure’s fear for Bella’s safety and the argument she had with Edward? If you had been in Kaure’s position, would you have tried harder or been too afraid to confront Edward?

Too afraid -- it's clear that Kaure is superstitious about vampires, so I would have been scared that he'd kill me.

4. Did it surprise you that Edward could eventually make love to Bella without hurting her, or was that something that you assumed he would eventually be able to do with enough control and resistance?

I assumed he could do it.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think that it's a bit mean of her to target him in such a weak area, but I can't really be angry at her for doing it. I thought he'd probably give in eventually. I thought he nearly did from the start.

No, I was pretty sure she was pregnant.

I thought her concern and her bravery in confronting Edward showed a lot of courage and a sense of right. I truly don't know if I would have had the guts to do it myself.

I agreed with Bella that, after a bit of practice, and knowing what to expect, he would be able to do it without hurting her.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

:lol: I felt it was a good, but desperate move from her side. It would be the only thing that could make him change his mind though...

2. Did you assume, like Bella, that the odd eating and sleeping habits were due to the amount of activity she and Edward was participating in, or did you have other suspicions?
It seemed like a logical explanation, but it also felt 'off'.

I would like to pretend I would try harder, but I know I would be too afraid to say anything at all!

I knew he could!
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

Alphie wrote:1. What did you think of Bella’s offer to stay human longer if Edward would only make love to her? Did you think that he would give in?

I can't remember her making that exact request (I remember it being a little more subtle than that) , however, she had caught the bug for a bit of sexy time, and probably knew he would give in eventually, if it meant her staying human a bit longer. I don't think it was below the belt, I think she knew it would get easier for them (after all, him being near her at the start did, as did kissing her), so she knew it probably wouldn't effect him as much going forward.

I was a late reader of this book, so had already been told she got pregnant! So, unfortunately, yes! I wish it had been a surprise to me when reading it!

She didn't know Edward was a good vamp, so her reaction was justified. I think she was I brave lady, believing as she did though, I would have run for the hills!

Yes, I knew if it happened again, it would be better. His restraint in other areas has always improved with practice.
adorey
Settled in Forks

Post by adorey »

I think it was rather sneaky of her, perhaps bordering on cruel. She was practically dangling a carrot over his head, seeing if he would take the bait. Edward desperately wanted Bella to stay human longer and yet he was so scared of hurting her again. It was a hard decision for him to make. But i don't think he would have given in on just a promise. It took Bella's tears and obvious pain to make him give in.

Of course she was pregnant - my suspicions were raised as soon as Edward told Bella that she'd slept for a long time. I just remember thinking 'you are so pregnant'.
But yeah, i guessed she was pregnant, but i also remember thinking 'how could she be?' Vampires can't have kids!

I found her fears a little annoying to be honest. Not that she was without reason of course, but i was really worried that the woman's fears would make Edward change his mind about making love to Bella again. If i was Kaure i would have definitely run in the opposite direction!

I knew that he would eventually make love to Bella without hurting her. Once he got used to what it felt like, he knew more of what to expect and because of what he had done to Bella the first time, i reckon he would have been more alert about Bella's safety, rather than have been possessed by his own emotions that he was feeling.
mainhoonemily
Wandering Through Town

Post by mainhoonemily »

I didn't really like that. I was impatient for Bella to become a vampire by that point! I didn't think Edward would give in.

Yeah, I was pretty blind, and I just assumed it was because Edward was tiring her out every day.

I was a little impatient with Kaure, I wished Edward would have been able to explain to her what was going on. I'm pretty chicken, so I probably wouldn't have tried as hard as she did to confront him.

I was surprised. I really didn't think they'd be able to do it before she was changed.