Chapter 7: Unexpected

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
hkspud2
Settled in Forks

Re: Chapter 7: Unexpected

Post by hkspud2 »

1 1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?
Before my daughter came I wanted kids, was scared about the childbirth thing but still wanted to have kids. When I found out I was pregnant, (a lot older than Bella but still) I knew I could go through anything because it was my lifes wish to have a child. And like Bella I would have done anything to keep her safe even if the father was 'shocked' and calling it an 'it' huge red flag there, but I had support like Bella did and eighteen years later would not change a thing.
2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy?

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella and Edward?
Oh yes, but on my part, a very very welcome surprise.
4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs?
I found it very strange that through all three books till that time, Edward and Bella had good communication skills, Edward was sometimes very stoic with his opinions but he at least he tried. But the baby put a huge rift between them which I am so glad they both overcame. But yes, Edward kind of did take a back seat to the baby and in Bellas shoes it would have been foremost to protect the baby espicially after the 'it' comment and the 'get that thing out of you" . He didn't hear her or want to hear that she might actually want to keep s'he , so Bella had no choice but to go around him and ask Rosilie. Was it right, no but Edward really left her no choice she did what she felt was right in her heart and eventually Edward did come around.
vampbball
Wandering Through Town

Post by vampbball »

This might be a bit of a tangent, but I have always staunchly defended Edward against those who claimed he was a control freak. Yes, having Alice kidnap Bella was way overboard, but he quickly apologized and came to his senses. When Jacob kissed Bella, Edward kept his cool. All in all, given that he's a clear Type A personality, I thought he did pretty well.

Until I re-read Breaking Dawn and realized, via Edward's conversation with Jacob, that had Rosalie not existed or not agreed to help Bella, Edward would have forced Bella to have an abortion. (I'm referring to the passage where Jacob notes that Bella is exactly as strong as a normal 110 lb human girl, and Edward replies that Rosalie had complicated things.)

I can't defend that. Yes I realize that he thought she would die, and that he blamed himself. I do get it. But the truth is, his own guilt and fear would have led him to physically assault his wife and to kill their child. It's her body, and his needs and choices don't come before hers. I can't see Bella ever forgiving him for that (nor should she). I can't even quite forgive him for planning to do it. So I guess we have a lot to thank Rosalie for; Breaking Dawn would have been a really short book!
<3_my_Edward
Wandering Through Town

Post by <3_my_Edward »

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy?
I probably would be surprized of course but I would also be very happy I think. I mean if I was married I would love to see myself and my husband reflected in our child.

Oh yes. It completely blind-sighted me, I had to read that part more than once becuase I just couldn't beleive it.

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs?
Yes and No I think. I think yes because I know she felt a need to protect her baby and that obsession drove her to do things she wouldn't normally. But I also think that shutting Edward out completly was not very good either. I think that she could have handled things just a little better between herself, Edward and Rosalie.
"...I knew I was eager to get to school because I would see Edward Cullen. And that was very, very stupid." ~Bella
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

I think I'd be thrilled because that child would have been such a miracle. And a bit scared too.

Well, after reading here in Lex that vampires couldn't get pregnant, I was like WTH? At first, I admit that I didn't like the idea. That caught me totally off guard. It seemed bad fanfiction. Maybe because it was Jacob's POV and he kept insulting the Cullens and Bella was acting weird.

Yes and no. I think it's their child, so they should decide this together. However, I understand Bella's wish of keepting the baby. it was the last way she could prove to Edward that he wasn't a monster. And it was Edward's baby. How could she not want that child? So, yes, i think she was right. And in the end, everything was okay.
loveuccs
Wandering Through Town

Post by loveuccs »

No children.

I would be thrilled :D it's crazy, it's a responsability for lifetime but I would accepted with a big smile and an open heart. My baby would be a little part of the love of my life, growing up inside me :) oooh awesome!

Yes! Seriously, they don't have tears or swet, they don't have any fluids that humans have. Who would think they have semen!!!???????? Well, was a surprise but a really really GREAT one.

Yes! Bella was sure that everything will come out fine. She was giving her life for the most important person in Edward's life, the only thing is that he didn't know that yet.
It's too green. An alien planet!
Cullen_Lover
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Daydreaming about Twilight out of my kitchen window.

Post by Cullen_Lover »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Greenmom for her help with this one.

1. (For those that have already had children): Before you had children, what were your thoughts and feelings about child bearing? How are these thoughts similar and different to Bella’s thoughts? Did those change when you learned you were pregnant like they did for Bella?

Depends how young?
No way dude as soon as Bella tried to convince Edward I knew she'd find a way to but she'd get carried away
ImageImageImage
livelove&twilight
Wandering Through Town

Post by livelove&twilight »

2. (For those who have not had children): If you were in a committed relationship with someone nearly as perfect as Edward, how would you react to an unexpected pregnancy? hmmm i would probably be shocked at first but then would except and couldnt wait to have the baby but maybe thats just me i love kids

3. Was the pregnancy as unexpected for you as it was for Bella and Edward? the first time i read the book i was shocked but then i was so happy after reading on about how it made bella feel close to edward and everything

4. Both Bella and Edward act fiercely to protect the ones they love. Do you think it is right for Bella to protect her baby before considering Edward’s needs? yes because bella didnt really have a choice the minute she learned she was pregnant she knew she needed that baby and of course bella was concerned about edward but i think she felt more connected to him with the unexpected pregnancy
peace.love & twilight
lovin them cullen boys :D

~*teamswitzerland*~
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ~*teamswitzerland*~ »

chastity FTW!

Well, I couldn't tell you the answer to that question, because I have never been married, let alone to the most perfect guy in the universe. You never know how you will react in a situation until you are faced with that situation. However, I think that I might be shocked at first, but then I would be happy. After all, if Edward and I are both happily committed to this relationship (oh, but that sounds so nice! :D ), we should have no troubles raising a child. This is assuming that I have no idea how dangerous it is to be pregnant with a human-vampire hybrid child.

Not really. After Bella and Edward started doing, well, you know, I saw it coming because, unfortunately, someone spoiled most of Breaking Dawn for me (back when I had no intent of reading even the first novel in the Saga).

I think it's just a motherly instinct to want to protect the baby above all else. Also, I think it was difficult for Bella to listen to Edward once he was capable of making sense of his thoughts again because by that time, Rosalie had gotten to her and wouldn't let anyone near Bella if they had any intent of killing the baby.
Taylor Lautner. (drool.) That is all. :)
MySunJB21
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by MySunJB21 »

My personal "plan" has always been "be married for a couple of years before having a baby" I would first feel fear, and anger...mostly with myself for letting this happen so quickly...however, that would soon fade to feelings of undescribale joy! Just the thought of being in love with someone as deeply as Bella and Edward are a child would just bring so much more.

Totally! All that I wanted for Edward and Bella was for them to be together with no restrictions...and the only thought that ran through my head was pure selfishness...a baby would only come between their time together

Edwards needs are always to protect Bella first and formost, so even if she tried to reason with him instead of going straight to Rosalie, she wouldn't have gotten through to him.

Banner and Avator by the talented ForJazz
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Greenmom for her help with this one.

1)I really did not have any. b)She never thought about children, because she never wanted them. 3)Yes.

2)Probably stunned and then excited - I think.

3)Yes.

4)Yes. This is her baby we are talking about here. This was Edward's child. She wanted this baby so much because it was a part of Edward - not a choice, but a necessity.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict