Chapter 8: Waiting for the Damn Fight to Start Already

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 8: Waiting for the Damn Fight to Start Already

Post by Alphie »

1. There was so much talk when Quil imprinted on Claire about how strange that was. How do you think the scene with him helped better explain their relationship?

2. Did you agree with Quil that maybe Jacob should at least try to date someone? Did you agree with Jacob’s reasons for why he wouldn’t date?

3. Do you think Jacob was right in saying that The Cullens broke the treaty by changing Bella even if it was what she wanted? Or did you totally side with Sam?

4. How did you think Jacob would react when he found out what was the real cause behind Bella’s sickness?
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: Chapter 8: Waiting for the Damn Fight to Start Already

Post by ringswraith »

Alphie wrote:1. There was so much talk when Quil imprinted on Claire about how strange that was. How do you think the scene with him helped better explain their relationship? ?

I think it was a touching scene- and something to show readers that the imprint situation doesn't automatically make the relationship a romantic one. It was just as Jacob said- as Claire grows, Quil's relationship with her will change as well. Right now he's like a nanny, or the best uncle. Later on, a best friend. Even later, someone to fall in love with. Even the way Jacob described Quil as having endless patience, playing peekaboo for an hour straight, or how Quil described Claire's third birthday party was quite touching.

And of course it helps that Claire is cute as a button. "Pity wock Qwil! Pity wock!" :lol:
Alphie wrote:2. Did you agree with Quil that maybe Jacob should at least try to date someone? Did you agree with Jacob’s reasons for why he wouldn’t date??
Hmmm. Yes and no. I think Quil was just trying to make Jacob feel better, being a good friend and all. Jacob however is quite stubborn, though we can certainly understand why. Jacob hasn't given Bella up yet, and until he does, as he says, he just can't see anyone else.
Alphie wrote:3. Do you think Jacob was right in saying that The Cullens broke the treaty by changing Bella even if it was what she wanted? Or did you totally side with Sam??
In my opinion, the spirit of the treaty was that the Cullens couldn't bite anyone with the intent to kill/feed off them. Everyone knew Bella's decision, even if they didn't agree with it (i.e., Jacob). So at this point, I sided with Sam: he had the cooler head, and was able to reason it out while Jacob was running on pure emotion.
Alphie wrote:4. How did you think Jacob would react when he found out what was the real cause behind Bella’s sickness?
I thought he would be shocked, then appalled, then murderously angry at Edward for what he did to her. Which is pretty much how he reacts in the book. Although I'm quite sure that, just like the Cullens, a pregnancy was the furthest thing from his mind when he thought about Bella being "sick."
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. There was so much talk when Quil imprinted on Claire about how strange that was. How do you think the scene with him helped better explain their relationship? it really helped to show that it's not romantic at all. and that he just wants to help take care of her, make sure she's happy & safe.

2. Did you agree with Quil that maybe Jacob should at least try to date someone? Did you agree with Jacob’s reasons for why he wouldn’t date? I think so. I would have thought once Bella married Edward he could've at least tried to move on.

3. Do you think Jacob was right in saying that The Cullens broke the treaty by changing Bella even if it was what she wanted? Or did you totally side with Sam? I sided w/Sam. It was what Bella wanted. And plus Jacob is just reacting w/emotion and letting that get in the way of sound judgement.

4. How did you think Jacob would react when he found out what was the real cause behind Bella’s sickness? He would be completely shocked like I was and I'm sure the rest of the Cullens were. Never would have even thought that such a thing was possible.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
ilovespaceheaters
Wandering Through Town

Post by ilovespaceheaters »

There was so much talk when Quil imprinted on Claire about how strange that was. How do you think the scene with him helped better explain their relationship?I definitely think the scene with Quil and Claire straightened things out. It was gorgeous. Everytime I read it I smile so big.
It shows that the imprint relationship isn't always romantic (for now). It is whatever Claire needs. And for now she needs someone to play with. And that is what Quil is.

Just like Jake was with Renesmee.

Did you agree with Quil that maybe Jacob should at least try to date someone? Did you agree with Jacob’s reasons for why he wouldn’t date?
No. It was impossible for Jake to even think about it. He was so hung up on Bella.

Do you think Jacob was right in saying that The Cullens broke the treaty by changing Bella even if it was what she wanted? Or did you totally side with Sam?
At the time I was like all for Jacob. Rofl. But now I think Sam was right. They weren't going to kill her.

How did you think Jacob would react when he found out what was the real cause behind Bella’s sickness?
I thought he would react exactly as he did. I would have went psycho and I'm pretty much like Jake. Rofl.

"Go fetch a space heater."

[22.8.08] Best day of my life.

ManSpice
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

There was so much talk when Quil imprinted on Claire about how strange that was. How do you think the scene with him helped better explain their relationship? I really liked that scene, it showed their close bond. also, jacob was used to the idea of imprinting on a baby, so that probably helped with renesmee later on.

Did you agree with Quil that maybe Jacob should at least try to date someone? Did you agree with Jacob’s reasons for why he wouldn’t date? Well...i think its pointless for a werewolf/shapeshifter to date people because theres always the very real possibility of imprinting on someone else later. but, theres also the very real possibility that they won't ever imprint, so theyd be stupid to pass up dating...its a very difficult decision to make i guess. i think jake's reasoning was dumb. he always says he loves bella, but i never got that feeling from him. i guess he'll always just be a jerk to me. *shrugs*

Do you think Jacob was right in saying that The Cullens broke the treaty by changing Bella even if it was what she wanted? Or did you totally side with Sam? Hm...technically, it is still breaking the treaty. but they should go easy on the cullen's anyway because of edward and bella's relationship and her choice in the matter.

How did you think Jacob would react when he found out what was the real cause behind Bella’s sickness? I thought he'd be really angry at edward, and mad at bella too because he knew bella was the one who wanted the 'real' honeymoon. i thought he'd also be kinda disgusted, sad for bella's life, and fearful about this 'mutant spawn'
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

1. There was so much talk when Quil imprinted on Claire about how strange that was. How do you think the scene with him helped better explain their relationship?

The reader could see firsthand that he wasn't thinking of her as a girlfriend. They could see that he had no romantic intentions for her in the present - he truly just wanted to make sure that she was safe and smiling, acting more like a very loving nanny. lol

2. Did you agree with Quil that maybe Jacob should at least try to date someone? Did you agree with Jacob’s reasons for why he wouldn’t date?

I don't think people should date in order to "get over" someone else, or because your friend tells you that you should. I think you should only date when you feel like you are ready and want to. No matter how impossible his situation was, it wouldn't have been fair to any girl for Jacob to date her in his state. I don't blame Jacob for holding onto Bella, even though it made him miserable and made things difficult for Edward and Bella. How can it be wrong to love someone the way that Jacob loved Bella? Sometimes loving someone feels better than trying to let them go, even if it's not the healthiest thing to do.

3. Do you think Jacob was right in saying that The Cullens broke the treaty by changing Bella even if it was what she wanted? Or did you totally side with Sam?

I sided with Sam on that one. It's not like the Cullens chose some random human and took away their humanity against their will. If Bella's decision doesn't factor in at all to whether or not the wolves attack, then the wolves would be acting like tyrants. Dictators. That would be wrong.

4. How did you think Jacob would react when he found out what was the real cause behind Bella’s sickness?

I figured he'd be pretty disgusted, and any tolerance that he had developed for Edward would be out the window. I imagined him dwelling on the act that got her to that state, and hating Edward for allowing that act to take place. Jacob didn't even consider the idea that it might have been Bella's wish to sleep with Edward - he put it all on Edward, thinking that he was risking Bella's life for his own pleasure. Jacob still hasn't let go of any prejudice towards vampires, and he can't see the human side when it comes to their feelings, thoughts, or actions. All he saw was a monster corrupting and harming the love of his life.

Image Image
TeamHeidi55
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamHeidi55 »

While it was reassuring to see that he did not have “improper” feelings towards her, I still thought it was a bit freaky. I mean 20 years later are you going to joke with one another about her princess party? I think the scene is also used to set up the later “shocking imprint” that will occur with Jacob. Because if Quil can do it, then surely Jacob can too.
It does seem like Jacob is pretty whiny at this stage and needs to “get a life.” I can see his feelings on the topic but it does not mean that he’s right to exclude every other possibility. Obviously imprinting is the driving force for the pack and Jacob hasn’t grasped that fact, yet.
Jacob is acting out of self-interest with his accusations. He wants to hold the Cullens to the letter of the treaty when he, himself, had violated the treaty by telling Bella about the family’s vampire lifestyle.
It seemed like it would lead to a fight. But I did not think the fight would occur immediately (mainly because there were too many pages still to go in the book and you cannot bump off a main character that early).
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

It helped make ppl understand it was not a creepy pedophile type thing. While Claire is young, Quil is the best babysitter and he wants to make sure she is happy and protected and safe and loved.

I agree that it would have been healthier for Jacob to start dating, to move on and try to be happy, but at the same time I understand Jacob was not ready yet, and you can't force feelings.

I don't see it as breaking the treaty since it was Bella's decision.

He'd be appalled and hate the Cullens even more, and also be pissed off at Bella for letting it happen.
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

-I just think it showed that Quil imprinting on Claire wasn't about him being like in love with her, in a child molester way, but that he did love her in some way, kind of like a big brother for now and when she became older, in like a girlfriend way.

-Yeah I totally agreed. Bella is with Edward, I thought Jacob should've at least tried to date someone else. At the same time I did kind of see where Jake was coming from, but I still agree with Quil.

-I don't think Jake was right in saying that the Cullens would brake the treaty by changing her, because it was what Bella truly wanted. AND if Jake really really really loved her and would do anything for her then he wouldn't say that.

-I thought Jacob would be like soo mad ! Haha
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
cassis_rose
Changing People's Minds With Jasper

Post by cassis_rose »

1.There was so much talk when Quil imprinted on Claire about how strange that was. How do you think the scene with him helped better explain their relationship?

Everything becomes so much clearer, how the imprinting works etc. That is one of my favourite scenes in Breaking Dawn. It was just so sweet. Right now, Quil was a big brother/nanny to Claire. There's nothing freaky about it, only that not many actual brothers will be that devoting to a young girl.

While I don't agree with Jacob's reason for why he wouldn't date, I don't agree with Quil either. I think it is wonderful that Jacob is not seeking another girl to fill that spot. It will not be fair to her at all.

I think Bella, as a human, can choose what she wants. Since she is so sure of her choice, Jacob shouldn't use the treaty to pressure them.

He is going to be really mad. Though they may be married, Jacob, at that point of time, can't get over her. He is going to blame Edward for it. Besides, they don't know that vampires can get other people pregnant. It was a shock to Edward himself as well to the others.
Team Carlisle ~ Cullenist - Hail to Carlisle