Chapter 11: ...I-Never-Want-To-Do list

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 11: ...I-Never-Want-To-Do list

Post by Alphie »

Again, the chapter title was too long to fit in the subject line. LOL! Many thanks to Goodnight Elizabeth for her help this time around.

1. Jacob says he doesn’t want to be pack leader and that Sam was better at it; however, there were several instances of Jacob proving he’d be a great leader. What were these examples?

2. Do you think Sam was worried about Jacob being the Alpha because Jacob would prevent them from attacking the Cullens, or because Sam wasn’t ready to give up his role as pack leader?

3. On both sides – the Cullens and the La Push pack – we see parallel characters. Who do you think parallels with whom and how?

4. Why is Seth the only wolf to follow Jacob? Why didn't his best friends join him?

5. What do you think went through the pack’s minds when Jacob left and then Seth disappeared from their minds as well?
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: Chapter 11: ...I-Never-Want-To-Do list

Post by debussygirl »

1. Jacob says he doesn’t want to be pack leader and that Sam was better at it; however, there were several instances of Jacob proving he’d be a great leader. What were these examples? He lets people choose their own way.

2. Do you think Sam was worried about Jacob being the Alpha because Jacob would prevent them from attacking the Cullens, or because Sam wasn’t ready to give up his role as pack leader? I think he felt that Jacob, at that moment, couldn't handle the situation in a logical, unbiased manner.

3. On both sides – the Cullens and the La Push pack – we see parallel characters. Who do you think parallels with whom and how? Leah and Rose, Esme and Emily.

4. Why is Seth the only wolf to follow Jacob? Why didn't his best friends join him? The loyalty to the pack and probably a strong dislike for the Cullens and a bit of Bella too.

5. What do you think went through the pack’s minds when Jacob left and then Seth disappeared from their minds as well? They were most likely confused, and shocked that they could do that.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
purple_panda
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by purple_panda »

1) I think Jake showed good leadership when he did what he thought was right, not what he was told to do. He also tries to keep Seth away from the possibilty of being attacked by the pack, he says "You're just a kid to me, kid." Seth is a kid, and Jake is worried that he will get hurt. Jake also doesn't want to force someone to do something.
2) I think Sam was worried because if Jake left, he would warn the Cullens. If he left, Sam probably knew others would follow him. If the Cullens had more fighters, then it wouldn't be a smart idea to attack.
3) (not including chapter 12) Sam and Edward-the two with the best advantages. Rosalie and Leah-negative charges don't go together. that's all i can think of right now
4) Seth is the only one who actually likes the Cullens, he doesn't want to fight them. Jake's friends do.
5) They were probably trying to plan how they would attack. Probably outraged that he left. They probably weren't thinking about if they could hear him or not, there were too many of them (probably shout-thinking) to notice that they couldn't hear two people.
rain.on.me
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by rain.on.me »

1. Jacob says he doesn’t want to be pack leader and that Sam was better at it; however, there were several instances of Jacob proving he’d be a great leader. What were these examples?
Um...I really don't remember :?

2. Do you think Sam was worried about Jacob being the Alpha because Jacob would prevent them from attacking the Cullens, or because Sam wasn’t ready to give up his role as pack leader? I think some of both. But also maybe he just didn't want the pack split up, because everyone was like family.

3. On both sides – the Cullens and the La Push pack – we see parallel characters. Who do you think parallels with whom and how?
Um...not sure. Again, i havent read breaking dawn in awhile...also, i mostly try and skip over the wolf parts because they're boring :roll:

4. Why is Seth the only wolf to follow Jacob? Why didn't his best friends join him?
Seth likes the Cullens, he's friends with them. He doesn't want them hurt anymore than Jake does. He wanted to defy Sam's orders to attack the vampires, but he couldnt disobey the alpha. now he has his chance.

5. What do you think went through the pack’s minds when Jacob left and then Seth disappeared from their minds as well?
I think they were scared. Scared that their relationships and friendships and alliances were being torn apart; scared because they didnt know what was going to happen with the cullens now; scared because their numbers were diminshed
Elisabeth33

Post by Elisabeth33 »

I don't remember. Sorry. :oops:

2. Do you think Sam was worried about Jacob being the Alpha because Jacob would prevent them from attacking the Cullens, or because Sam wasn’t ready to give up his role as pack leader?
I think it was because he didn't want to be stopped from attacking the Cullens. Sam never really has liked them, remember.

Seth fought with Edward at the end of Eclipse and saw that Edward and his family are good people. Quil didn't go because of Claire, like Jake says. As for Embry, I have no idea, maybe he wanted to stay with his mother, or he was too chicken to do what Jake did. It was hard for Jake to do and he was born to do what he did.

They must have thought they'd been killed by the Cullens as soon as they left the clearing.
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

He looks out for Seth, and because he's around the vampires quite a lot, he knows them, and knows what's safe and what's not safe.. so he's pretty clued up about them.. which is a good advantage. And he can actually control his temper really well, and tries hard not to phase and rip people apart when it's not necessary. Also, going to see the Cullens and talking with Edward showed he can be mature and responsible, even when he feels like killing them all.

I think that Sam thought that Jacob would make friends with the vampires because of Bella, and their existence revolves around eliminating them, because they're unsafe.. and if Jacob told them not to attack them, and they ended up killing people, then they still couldn't do anything about it. Maybe Sam thought Jakes relationship with the vampires would affect their purpose of being wolves? But also some part of me thinks that Sam loves being the leader, because he was the first to turn, and doesn't think Jacobs ready?

Leah and Rosalie - both have been hurt because of a relationship.. Rose also doesn't really want to be a vampire, and Leah feels pretty uncomfortable being a wolf. Sam and Carlisle.. they are the leaders and they want what's best for their families and probably the most experienced... and both are the first of their families to turn into a vampire/werewolf.

Seth is young, and really looked up to Jacob, so I think it's only natural to follow him. I think his best friends didn't because they thought Jake was just being an idiot.. and they didn't want to turn their backs on Sam. Also, maybe some part of them wanted to kill Nessie and/or some of the Cullens.. maybe thought they were unsafe.

They were probably just freaking out.. and wondering what the hell happened to them.. Sam possibly might've known why.. maybe also angry that they would leave just like that.. and betrayed?
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Well..Maybe in Eclipse when Jacob and Edward initiated the cooperation between the wolves and the vampires. I think that showed great leadership, when he was able to see that they would be so much stronger together. I also think that Jacob has become more mature as throughout the books (even if he is still somewhat of a hothead). And he showed so much courage when he was able to break away from Sam's power, and stand up for what he believed in. That is what being a great leader is all about. I also like that he says that he will never take anyones will away. He will let the wolves think for themselves and make decisions based on that.

Mostly I think it is because Jacob wants to prevent the fight. I think that Sam is questioning Jacob's ability to make a correct decision in this matter, since he is so deeply involved with Bella. So Sam sees it as Jacob putting Bella and the vampires before the pack.

I haven't really thought about that..But I would maybe say Paul (I think...) and Emmett. They would never turn away from a fight and they are very strong. Leah and Rosalie both have experienced major heartbreak in their lives. Both of them are also having difficulties accepting who they are/have become, so there are some similiarites between them.

Seth followed Jacob because he really bonded with Edward when they fought Victoria and Riley together. They became friends, and Seth does not want to hurt the Cullens. He was unable to resist when Sam was the only Alpha, and Jacob setting himself free made it possible for Seth to get his own will back as well.
As for Quil and Embry; I think they didn't want to leave the pack. I think they wanted to fight the Cullens, and that they believed that Sam was right about the baby. Or maybe they just weren't strong enough to break free from Sam.

I would say that they were scared and confused, not really knowing what to do. They could see the pack being ripped apart, and friendships destroyed. The probably felt that Seth and Jacob were betraying them by choosing to warn the Cullens. I think that Sam was shocked that Jacob would use his Alpha-role like that.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

Well, I think the greatest example was the fact that he broke free of Sam's pack instead of attacking the Cullens blindly. He didn't want to risk Bella's life (or Carlisle's, I tihnk) just because there might be a change that there was danger. He wanted to make sure of everything before he did anything, much unlike Sam. And also in Eclipse when he was the one two collaberate with the Cullens and set up the Vampire-Werewolf treaty thing so they could fight as one... Sam wasn't too hot on that idea at first, if I remember correctly. And he's just grown more mature and more able to handle certain things that sometimes set Sam off.

I think it might have been a little bit of both. I never really thought of Sam as a greedy person, but greed can overtake anyone, and he did have a lot of power over the pack. But I think that other than Jacob taking his position and foiling his plans to attack the Cullens, Sam was worried about Jacob. I don't think Sam wanted Jake to get in the middle of a war, if that's what it came down to. I'm sure he knew that if it did come down to a big fight between the Cullens and the Wolves, Jake would indeed get stuck in the middle because he has stakes in both sides... he would have to choose between his loyalty to the pack and his love for Bella... it would be tough, and I think Sam was worried for him as well as worried for himself. I think it was more complicated than just greed and anger.

Well, Leah and Rose, like a lot of people are saying. Also, Paul and Emmett... burly ones who love to fight and would never back down from a challenge. Sam and Carlisle as the leaders, even though they really aren't that similar. Emily and Esme... they are full of unconditional love for their families.

I'm not sure... out of loyalty for Sam, maybe. Maybe (and I hate this thought) they just wanted a fight. And Seth didn't want to hurt the Cullens... he'd become friends with Edward. He had to choose where his loyalties lie, and it wasn't within an unjustified fight.[color]

I never really thought about that. They might have had a breif internal struggle before deciding to stay with Sam. Maybe they were worried that they might have to fight Jacob and Seth and what that would be like... what it would come down to. I'm not sure.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Jacob says he doesn’t want to be pack leader and that Sam was better at it; however, there were several instances of Jacob proving he’d be a great leader. What were these examples? I really can't remember

2. Do you think Sam was worried about Jacob being the Alpha because Jacob would prevent them from attacking the Cullens, or because Sam wasn’t ready to give up his role as pack leader? I think it probably could have been both. He knows how Jacob feels about Bella & Would never do anything to hurt Bella physically. And also I would thing being the Alpha for so long and the responsibility that comes w/that would be hard to give up,especially if you think you're right & the other person is wrong.

3. On both sides – the Cullens and the La Push pack – we see parallel characters. Who do you think parallels with whom and how? Like others have said Rosalie & Leah both hate who they are & would rather be human.

4. Why is Seth the only wolf to follow Jacob? Why didn't his best friends join him? Seth likes the Cullens and understands that they aren't bad. The others were too afraid to defy Sam

5. What do you think went through the pack’s minds when Jacob left and then Seth disappeared from their minds as well? They were probably freaking out & wondering what was going on.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Post by Seeker-Mar »

In Eclipse when he sacrificed himself for Leah. That is the one instance that comes to mind.

I think a little of both. I think Sam is mostly good but it is Jacob's right to be leader. I was surprised that there were two packs after Jacob left but that worked out well for them.

Leah and Rose because they are both tough and rude. Ha ha. On a serious note they both long for something they can never have. Leah for Sam and Rose for children. Emmet and Seth are lot alike. Loyal and laid back. Seth is way less scary than Emmet, though. Jasper and Sam are similar because they are willing to be ruthless and even do evil things for the sake of their families.

I think Seth was probably the only one that truly felt unhappy with Sam's leadership...at the end of B.D. don't we learn that Quill and Embry have joined Jacob's pack too. I wonder why they waited to leave Sam. Maybe at the time the truly believed that the baby should be murdered. Scary.

I think they were probably really confused and filled with doubt. It was be a hard position for Sam to be in...having the weight of the tribe's protection on his shoulder. Jacob was more self focused. Sam was worried about the tribe and the towns people.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. James 3:17