Chapter 18: There Are No Words For This

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Chapter 18: There Are No Words For This

Post by Alphie »

Goodnight Elizabeth sent in these questions for us! Thanks go out to her for her hard work.

1. Rosalie showed amazing control and willingness to assist at the beginning of this ordeal. What do you think made her slip? What aid can Carlisle give on the phone?

2. When Rosalie mentions caring for Renesmee “until Bella…” why do you think she stopped? What do you think Rosalie is feeling and hoping for?

3. Edward is amazing in his trying to save both Renesmee and Bella. How do you think he is able to do it? What do you think is running through his mind?

4. During the ordeal, is Jacob trying to save Bella as a human or vampire? How do you think Jacob feels when he hears Bella’s heart changing?

5. How do you interpret the feelings that Jacob has over Renesmee? Do you feel that his connection to Bella was fate’s way of keeping him near his future imprinte? What clues, if any, foreshadowed this event?
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Chapter 18: There Are No Words For This

Post by Dovrebanen »

1. Rosalie showed amazing control and willingness to assist at the beginning of this ordeal. What do you think made her slip? What aid can Carlisle give on the phone?
Rosalie hadn't been exposed to that amount of human blood in a long time, maybe never . She just wasn't prepared to deal with it. It was just like the birthday party. All the Cullens usually handled their desires very well, but with large amounts of blood it required more. But she realized that, and actually wanted to be removed from the room.
I don't think Carlisle could do much over the phone. I'm sure Edward knew the basics of cutting her open and getting the baby out, seeing as he as been to medical school. And this was all up to Edward. He came up with the idea of injecting venom directly into Bella's heart.

2. When Rosalie mentions caring for Renesmee “until Bella…” why do you think she stopped? What do you think Rosalie is feeling and hoping for?
That's a though one... But I think she stopped because she didn't want to say the word "dies" or "pulls through". She didn't want to focus on the fact that Bella might not make it. I think Rosalie hoped that Bella would survive. Selfish as Rosalie may be, she knew how much Bella meant to Edward. She knew that if he lost Bella, he would be lost to them as well. And I think she wanted Nessie to have her mother.

3. Edward is amazing in his trying to save both Renesmee and Bella. How do you think he is able to do it? What do you think is running through his mind?
He's able to do it pure and simple because the love of his life and his baby is dying. The baby had come to mean something to him ever since he heard her inside Bella. And he will stop at nothing to save them both. He worked with a purpose, and kept his cool. He got Nessie out and the moved on to save Bella. I think it was so admireable of him hold Nessie close to Bella for a while. She needed that. After that he knew that Nessie would be safe with Rosalie. I think he was so scared that he might loose Bella. And I admire the fact that he never gave up, but just kept squeezing her heart long after Jacob had given up hope.

4. During the ordeal, is Jacob trying to save Bella as a human or vampire? How do you think Jacob feels when he hears Bella’s heart changing?
I think Jacob realized during the birth that Bella would not come out of it human. So from that point on he was trying to save her the only way possible, as a vampire. Nessie broke Bella's spine. So Jacob must have realized that Bella would never survive human. Jacob explains his feelings about it pretty well himself. When he left the room, his Bella was gone. His connection to her was gone. So I think he felt a loss for her humanity. But still I think deep down he was happy that she would still be around.

5. How do you interpret the feelings that Jacob has over Renesmee? Do you feel that his connection to Bella was fate’s way of keeping him near his future imprinte? What clues, if any, foreshadowed this event?
I don't know. Fate is such an abstract term. But no, I don't think fate had anything to do with it. Personally I didn't like Jacob imprinting on Nessie. I wanted something else for him.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Elisabeth33
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Elisabeth33 »

All of Bella's incredibly good smelling blood made her slip. Carlisle could help the same way the paramedics do when a woman's having a baby on the side of the road or in her house.

I don't know why she stopped.

According to Edward, her blood doesn't bother him anymore. That's how he's doing it. SAVE THEM! is running through his head

I think he's trying to save Bella as a human. All connection Jake feels between them goes away.

pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Rosalie showed amazing control and willingness to assist at the beginning of this ordeal. What do you think made her slip? What aid can Carlisle give on the phone? I'm not too sure what made her slip, I was a little surprised she did. Maybe because it was fresh blood? I think Carlisle could have been asking what exactly was happening & telling Rosalie what should be done.

2. When Rosalie mentions caring for Renesmee “until Bella…” why do you think she stopped? What do you think Rosalie is feeling and hoping for? I don't know why she stopped. I really like to think that Rosalie hoped for Bella to make it

3. Edward is amazing in his trying to save both Renesmee and Bella. How do you think he is able to do it? What do you think is running through his mind? Once he got Renesmee out of Bella and knew she was okay his focus probably immediately turned to saving his wife. He probably was thinking the whole time "I must save her" and maybe "She's going to be okay. She's tough she'll make it through this"

4. During the ordeal, is Jacob trying to save Bella as a human or vampire? How do you think Jacob feels when he hears Bella’s heart changing? I think at this point he knew she was going to have to change to live & he didn't really want her to die. He's probably got mixed feelings on her changing heart. Happy that hopefully she'll lived but upset that it's going to be one of them.

5. How do you interpret the feelings that Jacob has over Renesmee? Do you feel that his connection to Bella was fate’s way of keeping him near his future imprinte? What clues, if any, foreshadowed this event? I honestly at this point (on my first read) didn't understand/know that he had imprinted on her. (I had read the previous books only once 7 months prior & forgot about the imprinting.) And so I was kind of confused what was going on. Now, I don't know. Maybe it was a way for him to be near his future imprinte/soul mate
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Sleepwalker
Settled in Forks

Post by Sleepwalker »

Alphie wrote:Goodnight Elizabeth sent in these questions for us! Thanks go out to her for her hard work.

1. I believe the reason why rosalie slipped was because of bella's blood that was spilling out from her stomach. Even why determination to protect bella and the baby, the overwhelming smell of human blood has caused her to lose control. Advice carlisle could have given over the phone was to try and keep everyone calm and to give orders to those to stuck around in the house on how to handle the situation.

2. I sericoulsy doubt rosalie wanted Bella dead, but more than anything, she's always wanted a baby, her maternal instincts took over and her will to protect the baby became her most inportant priority.

3. I think at some point edward really was loosing it, and tried everything to keep her alive at all costs. Saving Renesmee first was what Bella wanted, and so he saved her first. Afterwards his mind must have been racing a thousand miles an hour to try and think of ways to keep bella holding on. Since he had a syringe full of his vemon already at hand, then at some point he must thought different scenarios throughoughly, trying to work out the best idea for when the time came.

4. Jacob must have felt so helpless and alone, with his best friend dying in front of his eyes. He kept trying to revive her throughout the ordeal, intil he knew what he was doing was already too late. With his best friend gone and replaced by something else, he probably felt more alone than ever before.

5. How do you interpret the feelings that Jacob has over Renesmee? Do you feel that his connection to Bella was fate’s way of keeping him near his future imprinte? What clues, if any, foreshadowed this event? I found it very odd that Jacob had imprinted on Nessie. I truly believe he loved only Bella until that point. I do not believe that fate kept bella and jacob close till Nessie was born because then that would mean that destiny had already planned out their future. It was no given choice to them to change their own fate( as in Bell can still remain human) Nessie would have never been born if Bella had chosen Jacob instead of edward. If Bella never had Nessie, then does that mean the jacob may have found someone else to imprint on? As for the foreshadowing, I really thought him and Leah might have had something going on.But for him to imprint on nessie was so ridiculous.
sazykid

Post by sazykid »

Carlisle could give Rosalie instructions on how to do a C-section. The smell of blood and the sheer amount of blood is what made Rosalie slip. I think she was so focused on the task at hand that she wasn't really prepared for what would happen once she got to work.

Rosalie probably didn't want to discuss what might happen to Bella in front of Jacob or Edward. Bella's transformation was a sore spot for Jacob, and her death was a sore spot for Edward. I don't really think she wanted Bella dead because she knows how much Edward loves her, and how much Bella loves the baby. But, I think Rosalie saw the importance of caring for the baby at that moment and she was focused on that.

Vampires are lucky because they apparently have more room in their head to think about things. I'm sure he is going out of his mind with worry for Bella and the baby. I'm not sure vampires have adrenaline, but for lack of a better way of explaining things, I think he is running on pure adrenaline. Besides worry, all he can think about is saving them, and he will do whatever he has to, to accomplish that.

Hmmm, I had never really thought about this before. I guess he was probably trying to save her as a human. He wanted her to live so that he could still be her frined and perhaps still have a chance with her. I'm sure he is sort of crushed when he hears her heart change. All his hopes are lost because the one person he loved was taken away from him...or so he thinks lol.

This is a little bit strange because Renesmee is a newborn, but she becomes the center of Jake's world. To him, she is the only thing that matters. I don't know about before the pregnancy, but I think during the pregnancy Jacob couldn't leave because he was already connected to Renesmee in a way. He couldn't actually see her before and he was scared for Bella so he couldn't feel the intensity of his connection. There was definetly foreshadowing with Quil imprinting on Claire because he impritned on a little girl. There was also some foreshadowing when Bella expresses her desire for Jacob to be part of her family but without romantic feelings between them.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

The bloodlust I think took over. As much as she would want to help, the lust could hurt them all.

The aid Carlisle could give, would help them deliver the child and keep Bella's life safe.

Possible death of the mother of the child so she could step in and take that role is one thing.
Another is that either came down to her death or her change, and knew that either topic was painful for the two men around her.

The love he had for his wife was what I think drove him. Her happiness was all that mattered to him, and if it meant to help save their daughter he'd do it.

I think by that point it didn't matter to him. He wanted her to be happy, and if it was as one of them he'd take it.
When her heart starts to change, it doesn't really matter any more. He knew that there would always be a part of him that would love her no matter what she was.

I find the whole pairing kinda gross with her being so young. Don't shoot..... I get that at that point it is purely older brother love that he has, but I find it creepy that he imprints on the child of the woman he once had dirty thoughts about.

There was the romantic love between the two of them before the whole pregger thing, and I do think that there was a reason that Bella's heart gave more to Edward. Quil imprinting on a younger child, the fact that Jake couldn't let Bella go once he knew what the pack wanted to do, and Bella's desire for Jake to be apart of her family without him being attached to her kinda foreshadowed that.
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

Carlisle has more hands on medical training than the others combined. He can give them advice about what problems to look for during the birth. I think Rose's control slipped because she was so thirsty and because she wasn't concentrating.

I think she stopped because she didn't want to make assumptions & because she honestly didn't know how to finish the sentence. "Until Bella wakes up" or "Until Bella is transformed."?? I don't think Rose wants Bella to die, because as selfish as she is she does care about her brother and family. She doesn't want to see Edward suffer.

In Eclipse, he told Bella that her blood was not as tempting to him anymore because he knew what it was like to think her dead. There is nothing that would stop Edward from trying everything to save the most important thing in his life. I think there are a million things running through his mind -- his medical training, running through the plans they made for the birth, Carlisle's medical experiences he's seen through Carlisle's thoughts, determination, and fear.

Jacob wants Bella to survive -- in whatever form. He would probably prefer her to survive it human but he's become more realistic about it and accepted that it's not likely going to happen. When he hears her heart changing he's probably disappointed & relieved at the same time. He cares about Bella enough not to want her to die.

I found it quite surprising when it first happened; I'm not sure there's much to interpret here, actually -- he imprinted, period. The main foreshadowing was the pull Jake & Bella felt towards each other during her pregnancy, of course. I don't think Jacob & Bella's relationship only had to do with Renesmee. Maybe that was one small part -- or maybe Jake imprinted on Renesmee because of Bella. I'm not sure. I AM sure that Jacob & Bella's relationship did not exist exclusively because of Renesmee.

Image Image Image
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I think Rose's control slipped because she is a vampire, and vampires drink blood and there was a lot of it. There was nothing she could do about it, really... if she'd had stayed, it might have meant disaster. Carlisle could have given them advice about things to look for, what to do specifically... things none of the rest of them would have thought about when it was so hectic.

I think she didn't want to say the rest of her sentence in front of either Jacob or Edward, or neither. It could have been 'until Bella is changed' which would have hurt Jake, or 'until Bella dies' which would have killed Edward. I don't think she was really hoping for anything other than a healthy baby.

Bella is running through his mind, the fact that if he doesn't save her, it's over for him. He needs her to be alive. And, he's not only saving her life this time. Now, there was an innocent baby, his innocent baby in the mix. He just had to. And I'm sure he's picked up some medical expertise from Carlisle over the years.

He's trying to save her as a human, even though whatever she is, as long as she's alive, I don't think he cares. As long as she is alive. I think he feels devastating defeat. Crushing sadness, resentment, failure. In other words, he feels like crap.

I interpret them as love in its purest form. The kind you, hehe, read about. Well, it forshadowed with him being so drawn to her during her pregnancy - no other way could he have been able to stomach the sight of her drinking blood! But I think maybe it kind of forshadowed when he went off to look for an imprint and couldn't... I mean, he had to have found one in the end, right? And maybe Quil's imprinting on a baby (toddler, whatever) was SM's way of kind of easing us in to the idea.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

i think the blood was just so much it tipped her over. she actually let jacob tow her from the room because she wanted bella and rennesme to live. carlisle couldn't do much i dont think. i mean the best he could do is tell them what to do with bella. other than that he would have to be there.

until she either dies giving birth or dies before rosalie as a vampire. *shrugs* i think at this piont she was leaning so haevily on the fact that bella would die giving birth to rennesme that there wasnt another option for her.

i think he probably had a one track mind. save bella, save bella, save renneseme, save rennesme. not much bedises that though.

as bella, his bella. i think that as bella had her jacob smile, jacob had his bella. not nessecarliy a vamp or a human, just as bella.

to me there were no clues, but as soon as i figured it out, which was about half way down the page, i was like "oh. no. he. didnt."
Betting on Alice.