Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Caitygirl1
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: New Moon~ Lines/Scenes you would like in the movie

Post by Caitygirl1 »

The Dark Knight wrote:She has a point about the slaker side of Edward, The other point that creeps people out about Edward is he's 108 years old picking up on a 17 year old...to some that's pretty sick... Just wnat to play devils advocate...

Hmmm... I havent thought of it like that before. I guess I can see the creepy side coming out in him. :twisted: but sadly for my addiction it changes nothing :oops:
A simpler place,
where love was defined in simpler ways.
One plue one equals two.."

Team Edward -- Dazzling since 1918
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by The Dark Knight »

Nor should it, those that can't see the romance of the story are thoe ones who lose out...

"Peaces is not the absence of war, but the presence of justice."
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

I can't bring myself to be creeped out by his age or by the fact that he came into her room at night. I mean, if it was myself and some guy came into my room at night I would be screaming like crazy (I sleep so lightly that I would know he was there). But with Edward and Bella it just seems right. I guess it's because I see the sincerity in Edward's mind, and the worries he goes through, after he decides to make it his life mission to keep Bella safe. And he is over a 100 years old, and has all this experience. But physically and with reference to his romantic experience, he is very much 17. So it really didn't bother me when I heard his age.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I'd have to agree that Edward has never creeped me out. I think he and Bella were everything they needed each other to be. And yes, Edward was overprotective, but I never got the sense it was too much or a bad thing, except when he refused to let her see Jacob...

But then a lot of people don't think Jacob was the pushy jerk I thought he was at times. I didn't think it defined his character, I liked him a lot, but I was blown away that he could lower himself to saying he'd allow the vampires to kill him just to get Bella to kiss him! I know the guy was hurting and wanted to prove a point, but jeez! That was pretty low. And he was constantly trying to make moves on a girl who more than let him know she didn't appreciate it. Whether or not he knew Bella loved him underneath it all, he was awfully pushy...

Thank you Naureen!!
luvinedward
Settled in Forks

Post by luvinedward »

Keep all the scenes between Edward and Bella and, maybe put a few extra in, then just gloss over the Jacob and Bella friendship and I'll be happy.
luvinedward
Settled in Forks

Post by luvinedward »

fanMNM wrote:I'd have to agree that Edward has never creeped me out. I think he and Bella were everything they needed each other to be. And yes, Edward was overprotective, but I never got the sense it was too much or a bad thing, except when he refused to let her see Jacob...

But then a lot of people don't think Jacob was the pushy jerk I thought he was at times. I didn't think it defined his character, I liked him a lot, but I was blown away that he could lower himself to saying he'd allow the vampires to kill him just to get Bella to kiss him! I know the guy was hurting and wanted to prove a point, but jeez! That was pretty low. And he was constantly trying to make moves on a girl who more than let him know she didn't appreciate it. Whether or not he knew Bella loved him underneath it all, he was awfully pushy...
I agree with you in that Edward was never creepy. Yes Edward was very protective of Bella, but it was never a bad thing. When you take it into consideration that the guy had lived for 90 years as an immortal who never had to face injury or death. Plus all the people that he knew and loved were immortal so he never had to face the possability of loosing them to death. Then he runs into this girl whom he loves more than anyone in the world and she's human and so fragile. All of the sudden he's having to face the possability of her death. All he wants to do is keep her alive. As for not allowing her to see Jacob. Well that's because he understands what Jacob is and knows that he could very well hurt her, even kill her. Jacob's not in control and Edward knows it.

I too thought that Jacob was pushy, manipulative, and violent with her, at times, when he becomes a Werewolf.
luvinedward
Settled in Forks

Post by luvinedward »

The Dark Knight wrote:She has a point about the slaker side of Edward, The other point that creeps people out about Edward is he's 108 years old picking up on a 17 year old...to some that's pretty sick... Just wnat to play devils advocate...
The thing is that he was changed at 17 years of age and I think that it was explained that he's kinda frozen at 17 years of age. He's lived as a Vampire for only 90 years. That's a long time for a human, but for an immortal he's quite a young vampire. Just a teen vampire, so to speak.

At first Edward is sneaking into her room as she sleeps. Because he has never encountered anyone like her that he can't read her mind and that drives him crazy and he has to find out why he can't and what she's thinking. In a way he wants to know more about her and who she is. So he goes into her room and sits and listens to her as she talks in her sleep trying to get to know her and find out why he can't read her mind. Plus, you have to see that in the context that Edward is a vampire and is not going by any human code of conduct. He's not, really, living in the human world and what is acceptable in his world is not acceptable in the human world. I get the feeling that what he's doing is perfectly acceptable, in his world. He exists outside the normal human world. I also get the feeling that when we first meet Edward, in Twilight, he's more vampire than human, but as his relationship with Bella grows Edward changes, as well, and becomes more human, sort of. Or maybe he becomes more in touch with what was left of his humanity. In a way, his love for Bella is so strong that it defeats his vampirish nature. Edward is a vampire, but is a good vampire that is trying to do the right things. He's trying to be better than what he is and is learning as he goes.

Plus once Bella knows what he had been doing she leaves the window open giving him permission to come in. He keeps visiting, with her permission, because he is so desperately in love with her and just wants to be with her. Plus the more he is around her the less sensitive he is to her scent which makes it easier for him to be around her.
Last edited by luvinedward on Tue May 05, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

luvinedward wrote:
The thing is that he was changed at 17 years of age and I think that it was explained that he's kinda frozen at 17 years of age. He's lived as a Vampire for only 90 years. That's a long time for a human, but for an immortal he's quite a young vampire. Just a teen vampire, so to speak.

At first Edward is sneaking into her room as she sleeps. Because he has never encountered anyone like her that he can't read her mind and that drives him crazy and he has to find out why or what she's thinking. In a way he wants to know more about her and who she is. So he goes into her room and sits and listens to her as she talks in her sleep trying to get to know her and find out why he can't read her mind. Plus, you have to see that in the context that Edward is a vampire and is not going by any human code of conduct. He's not, really, living in the human world and what is acceptable in his world is not acceptable in the human world. I get the feeling that what he's doing is perfectly acceptable, in his world. He exists outside the normal human world. I also get the feeling that when we first meet Edward, in Twilight, he's more vampire than human, but as his relationship with Bella grows Edward changes, as well, and becomes more human, sort of. Or maybe he becomes more in touch with what was left of his humanity. In a way, his love for Bella is so strong that it defeats his vampirish nature. Edward is a vampire, but is a good vampire that is trying to do the right things. He's trying to be better than what he is and is learning as he goes.

Plus once Bella knows what he had been doing she leaves the window open giving him permission to come in. He keeps visiting, with her permission, because he is so desperately in love with her and just wants to be with her. Plus the more he is around her the less sensitive he is to her scent which makes it easier for him to be around her.
No worries, I enjoyed the books as written and find little creepy in them...the point of the 108 year picking up on a 17 year old came from a good friend of mine. He works in department of corrections which means he has to deal with creepy freaks daily that slants his world view understandably.

I post that view point so that everyone could see a real world reason to why someone might find Edward’s actions creepy. Hope this helps clear things up for you…

rjupiter
Learning to Love Green

Post by rjupiter »

Ok,lets go back a bit to a show I am sure many of may have watched, Buffy. Lets compare, Buffy was 16 and her love interest, Angel, was over 200 and was NOT a teenager when turned, well into his late 20's. And to my recollection people had no problem with that relationship or the show, I know a lot of people who liked it.

So I ask which is creepier, a 300 year old dude in a 27 years old body crushing on a 16 year old or a 90 year old dude in a 17 years old body crushing on a 17 /18 year old girl?

And yes, Angel "stalked" and watched Buffy as well. So um, again I don't see the issue. In fact the first thing my sister said after she watched the movie, besides commenting of how teen angsty it was and not well done, was that he [Edward] was young.

And also obvious none of you have seen the movie "Let the Right One In"? Lets just say that its a movie about a vampire (in 12 years old androgynous male body) that has a "relationship" with a human 12 year old boy. And its received very high praise/awards.

So really this book,and the romance aspects in it, are quite tame and banal. If you ask me.
The Dark Knight
Touched By Cold Hands

rjupiter wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:She has a point about the daker side of Edward, The other point that creeps people out about Edward is he's 108 years old picking up on a 17 year old...to some that's pretty sick... Just want to play devils advocate...
Ok,lets go back a bit to a show I am sure many of may have watched, Buffy. Lets compare, Buffy was 16 and her love interest, Angel, was over 200 and was NOT a teenager when turned, well into his late 20's. And to my recollection people had no problem with that relationship or the show, I know a lot of people who liked it.

So I ask which is creepier, a 300 year old dude in a 27 years old body crushing on a 16 year old or a 90 year old dude in a 17 years old body crushing on a 17 /18 year old girl?

And yes, Angel "stalked" and watched Buffy as well. So um, again I don't see the issue. In fact the first thing my sister said after she watched the movie, besides commenting of how teen angsty it was and not well done, was that he [Edward] was young.

And also obvious none of you have seen the movie "Let the Right One In"? Lets just say that its a movie about a vampire (in 12 years old androgynous male body) that has a "relationship" with a human 12 year old boy. And its received very high praise/awards.

So really this book,and the romance aspects in it, are quite tame and banal. If you ask me.
To the social norms of today, none of the above mention relationships would be acceptable...Many of our laws speak directly to this. I do remember people being upset about Buffy and Angel relationship. Sorry, have no knowledge of "Let the Right One In" what so ever.

I would also agree that SM books are very tame even in the YA section of vampires. The reason I posted this comments was to answer another persons post. They asked how anyone could be creeped out about Edward. I think the general public has grown confortable with vampires stalking their prey but still have issue with the underage relationships with adults. Hope this answer any of your questions...