Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Post by JenJen2112 »

nothing against CH at all, but I think CW has the ability to give NM the blockbuster feel that it needs...Twilight shouldn't have had an indie feel (not that I have anything against indies but Twilight wasn't the movie to do it with)...I have faith that CW will do what is needed to make it a great movie
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

JenJen2112 wrote:nothing against CH at all, but I think CW has the ability to give NM the blockbuster feel that it needs...Twilight shouldn't have had an indie feel (not that I have anything against indies but Twilight wasn't the movie to do it with)...I have faith that CW will do what is needed to make it a great movie
THANKYOU
that's exactly what i expected, a blockbuster feel. CH made it...indie. i don't like indie movies. they are always so horrible. i prefer high budget films, or just well-balanced budgets anyways. I feel twilight had the chance to be blockbuster regardless of the budget. I know catherine must have had some awesome shots but she just did twilight like past movies she did.

and CW will be able to do that. that's why i am so happy he is the new director.
dazzlingdynamite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by dazzlingdynamite »

malaz wrote:
JenJen2112 wrote:nothing against CH at all, but I think CW has the ability to give NM the blockbuster feel that it needs...Twilight shouldn't have had an indie feel (not that I have anything against indies but Twilight wasn't the movie to do it with)...I have faith that CW will do what is needed to make it a great movie
THANKYOU
that's exactly what i expected, a blockbuster feel. CH made it...indie. i don't like indie movies. they are always so horrible. i prefer high budget films, or just well-balanced budgets anyways. I feel twilight had the chance to be blockbuster regardless of the budget. I know catherine must have had some awesome shots but she just did twilight like past movies she did.

and CW will be able to do that. that's why i am so happy he is the new director.
Agreed. I do like Indie films, I think they have an excellent raw energy and an edgy side, with tons of quirky shots and unique angles, but to me that wasn't Twilight.
Twilight is supposed to be (in my eyes) as big budgeted and outlandish as HP. CW knows how to make a blockbuster type film, and he knows how to adapt films that impress newcomers and the fans of the books. I have complete faith that he will carry on the series the way it should have been done in the first place.
Call That a Comeback?
YOU ME AT SIX
JodeenSings
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: By my Spaceheater fighting off DISNEY PEOPLE with a spork!

Post by JodeenSings »

dazzlingdynamite wrote:
malaz wrote:
THANKYOU

Agreed. I do like Indie films, I think they have an excellent raw energy and an edgy side, with tons of quirky shots and unique angles, but to me that wasn't Twilight.
Twilight is supposed to be (in my eyes) as big budgeted and outlandish as HP. CW knows how to make a blockbuster type film, and he knows how to adapt films that impress newcomers and the fans of the books. I have complete faith that he will carry on the series the way it should have been done in the first place.
I guess what I'm looking for from CW is a combination of that big-budget blockbuster - like TGC could/should have been if studio execs didn't mess with it - and that sweet indie flick feel of About a Boy. I liked what CH brought to Twilight, that rough raw edge you mention is how I imagined things as I read it. Twilight is ultimately and "outsiders" story and the indie feel helps (me at least) bring that to the viewer. I don't think of it as fantasy in the way HP is - it doesn't have the same sort of magic. HP magic is unbelievable or as you say outlandish, Twilight's magic is more grounded, the mythology not that far reaching, more subtle.
I think the balance between action and actors will be crucial. To me, New Moon should be more action packed than Twilight, but I don't want it to loose any character development - or any characters for that matter. I know sometimes a film adaptation needs to drop a couple of characters to move the story line along, but I don't want to see the wolf pack get any smaller. That's my opinion.
ETA -oh and the wolves better look like wolves - not some Underworld Lycan!
~~~Image~~~
team turtle - that's how we roll
^Is that dorky enough for you Taylor?^
* My Dork Prowess - Spork Fencing! *
twilighter_alice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by twilighter_alice »

When a kid in my drawing class told me NM was gonna have a new director I freaked.
And then I read the note on Stephenie's Website, I felt SO much better.

Chris Weitz did an ok job on the Golden Compass, and I'm entrusting him with this Holy Grail of Book Series everywhere.
But, so help me Stephenie, if he messes up, I will join an army and mob him. :evil:
Dragon's_Gypsy
Wandering Through Town

Post by Dragon's_Gypsy »

JodeenSings wrote: ETA -oh and the wolves better look like wolves - not some Underworld Lycan!
^^^Yeah, werewolves are so hard to do it seems. Dragons too. Underworld Lycans would be wrong, so would the Harry Potter werewolf. I hope they can actually do the werewolves justice and find a way to make decent ones.
Team Edward
Because Jacob just can't fight with an eclipse
JodeenSings
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: By my Spaceheater fighting off DISNEY PEOPLE with a spork!

Post by JodeenSings »

twilighter_alice wrote:When a kid in my drawing class told me NM was gonna have a new director I freaked.

Chris Weitz did an ok job on the Golden Compass, and I'm entrusting him with this Holy Grail of Book Series everywhere.
But, so help me Stephenie, if he messes up, I will join an army and mob him. :evil:
Holy Grail! Holy Cr@p that's funny, make me think of Monty Python Spamalot - think they will ever do a musical version of Twilight? If Christopher Guest is in charge of it, I am so there.
~~~Image~~~
team turtle - that's how we roll
^Is that dorky enough for you Taylor?^
* My Dork Prowess - Spork Fencing! *
Becz
Settled in Forks

Post by Becz »

malaz wrote:ugh I hate this. Why does everyone think Chris owes us something? like, if he doesn't do new moon in this perfect, stylish way, then he needs to be trashed. (that's not towards anyone in particular, just a vent towards posts i've read in the past weeks) I feel bad for him, i love Chris, i think he's an amazing director, actually no, he's a multitalented person. He's a scriptwriter, producer and director and am sure other things.
I do agree that Chris is an amazing director. I think the biggest thing for me in particular was it took me a while to get use to the way CH directed Twilight as I was expecting more of a Blockbuster feel, then after a while the way CH directed it grew on me.
I'm one of those people that pick up on the little things, which is why I noticed change in different directors for yep it comes back to this again as the example Harry Potter. But in the end its a catch 22, they can't please everyone i suppose. And my view has changed on the subject slightly after having a lengthy conversation with my cousin, its not that I hate the idea of Chris directing and I guess I'm not even nervous now just excited. I come to the conclusion I should be happy that they are making it into a movie. And even though I say would rather read TGC instead of watching the movie, I do own the dvd and have watched it countless time, actually to the point where my boyfriend was like enough is enough. So yeah I think Chris will bring something unique to the Twilight universe just like Catherine did.

But I will join/or create an army if Chris and/or the studio get rid of Taylor, because I'm slightly attached lol

JodeenSings wrote:
twilighter_alice wrote:When a kid in my drawing class told me NM was gonna have a new director I freaked.

Holy Grail! Holy Cr@p that's funny, make me think of Monty Python Spamalot - think they will ever do a musical version of Twilight? If Christopher Guest is in charge of it, I am so there.
And lol the Holy Grail comment made me think of Monty Python as well, and the horses that aren't really horses but some guy with coconuts, I don't know if a Twilight Musical would have the same effect, actually High School Musical with hot vampires, is probably worth a thought lol.
estela
Settled in Forks

Post by estela »

I have high hopes for New Moon. I too read the letter to the fans and it sounds like he's really gonna try to make it right. I just really hope im not let down, but still can't wait :) . The Golden Compass might not have been a good adaptation for the book but if you don't compare it to the book it was a good movie.
dazzlingdynamite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by dazzlingdynamite »

Dragon's_Gypsy wrote:
JodeenSings wrote: ETA -oh and the wolves better look like wolves - not some Underworld Lycan!
^^^Yeah, werewolves are so hard to do it seems. Dragons too. Underworld Lycans would be wrong, so would the Harry Potter werewolf. I hope they can actually do the werewolves justice and find a way to make decent ones.
The funniest 'werewolf' I've seen on film would be the disastorous adaption of Blood and Chocolate.
We can all feel better about one thing - Twilight turned out better than that! ^^
Call That a Comeback?
YOU ME AT SIX