Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Re: Chris Weitz --New Moon movie director

Post by navarre »

twibrarian wrote:i am really unhappy with his appointment. i was very unsatisfied by his adaptation of the golden compass. notice how they aren't making anymore of those movies? i'm really afraid he's going to kill the series. although i might just be upset because i heard they are rushing to get the movie out by november next year, and considering replacing taylor lautner. i thought he was so cute and had potential to play the brooding post-wolf jake, but i guess they want someone more "sexy," to threaten heartthrob edward. the whole idea puts me in a foul mood.
My daughter hated his adaption of the book. He better not kill this book. :x I agree that they are rushing this movie - it needs to be approached slowly because of the depth that it entails. I have NO faith in Rosenberg and I still feel that removing Hardwicke was a wise choice. Her vision.. wasn't! :x

I'm just going to have to wait & listen to what is happening as filming progresses. I was deeply disappointed with Twilight and got too upset over that film - I'm not stroking out over another clunker.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Malekk
Settled in Forks

Post by Malekk »

I actually really like the choice of Weitz. I really didn't care for the Golden Compass but I think that has more to do with the story and not the directing. If you go back and watch the movie, its shot really well and it really has that "epic" feeling that I think was missing from the first Twilight movie.

I think that Hardwicke did an ok job with the movie but it still could have been a lot more. I think the whole reason that they choose Hardwicke for the first movie is they thought that a female would handle the romance aspect better than a male director. I don't think she pulled off the whole romance part of the movie that well, honestly.
nafereti
Has Caught Sight of Edward
Location: roll'n wit the turtles, run'n wit the wolves & Taylor's Left Pec

Post by nafereti »

I will miss Catherine because of the fact that she was a Twilight Fan from the get-go.

I watched Golden Compass & thought it was pretty good. But I have heard people saying that Chris did not stick to the book.

I'm just hoping he will take the time to read through NM & really bring to life the main points of NM.

Oh & he better not replace Taylor for Michael. I'll be pissed!! :evil:
Team Turtle//Skank Pack-Tay's L.Pec//Dork Squad-SuperSonicSamoan
TEAM TAYCOB WEBSITE: http://teamtaycob.webs.com/
kuro_neko
Settled in Forks

Post by kuro_neko »

as a golden compass nut, I followed the movie heavily. weitz was a huge fan of the books and the movie was basically deconstructed in post and re-edited and censored by the studio against his will (to appease the catholic church who were going nuts about the plot of the books). the movie, just like any other movie where the big heads at the studio meddle with the finished work, ended up feeling really off balance. that is my impression with the Twilight. I loved the movie (it converted me, I hadn't read any of the books before I saw it) but my impression was that the director had a distinct vision and the studio had another and the contrast didn't always work so well (the emotional scenes are great, aka the director, the more action-y stuff felt a bit off, my take is that the Hardwicke wanted to focus on the gut of the story, the emotional element, where the studio wanted to add more action). Anyways, I guess what I am saying is that Weitz is a great director, TGC movie is still a great movie despite the studio fudging it up, so as long as he is given some amount of creative control I don't think we have much to worry about.

all the rumours say that Twilight was saved in post from Hardwicke's horrid work by the post production editing team anyways....
TopazLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by TopazLove »

all the rumours say that Twilight was saved in post from Hardwicke's horrid work by the post production editing team anyways....
That is all I have been hearing! I was SO for her directing New Moon....BUT, I have been getting more and more excited for CW to direct. The only things that scare me now are the budget, the screenplay, and Summit's idea that we girls want more Edward (in the form of him staying in town longer). I could deal with them showing us his pain while he is gone, but NOT changing the story. I hate when they make a book into a movie, and they waste precious time adding in new stuff, when they could add in more QUALITY stuff from the book. The FANS made this movie a hit.....I don't care what they think.
nafereti
Has Caught Sight of Edward
Location: roll'n wit the turtles, run'n wit the wolves & Taylor's Left Pec

Post by nafereti »

kuro_neko wrote:as a golden compass nut, I followed the movie heavily. weitz was a huge fan of the books and the movie was basically deconstructed in post and re-edited and censored by the studio against his will (to appease the catholic church who were going nuts about the plot of the books). the movie, just like any other movie where the big heads at the studio meddle with the finished work, ended up feeling really off balance. that is my impression with the Twilight. I loved the movie (it converted me, I hadn't read any of the books before I saw it) but my impression was that the director had a distinct vision and the studio had another and the contrast didn't always work so well (the emotional scenes are great, aka the director, the more action-y stuff felt a bit off, my take is that the Hardwicke wanted to focus on the gut of the story, the emotional element, where the studio wanted to add more action). Anyways, I guess what I am saying is that Weitz is a great director, TGC movie is still a great movie despite the studio fudging it up, so as long as he is given some amount of creative control I don't think we have much to worry about.

well thanks, now that i know that im looking forward to NM.

hopefully he keeps taylor as jacob. then i'll really be looking forward to it.
Team Turtle//Skank Pack-Tay's L.Pec//Dork Squad-SuperSonicSamoan
TEAM TAYCOB WEBSITE: http://teamtaycob.webs.com/
kuro_neko
Settled in Forks

Post by kuro_neko »

TopazLove wrote:
That is all I have been hearing! I was SO for her directing New Moon....BUT, I have been getting more and more excited for CW to direct. The only things that scare me now are the budget, the screenplay, and Summit's idea that we girls want more Edward (in the form of him staying in town longer). I could deal with them showing us his pain while he is gone, but NOT changing the story. I hate when they make a book into a movie, and they waste precious time adding in new stuff, when they could add in more QUALITY stuff from the book. The FANS made this movie a hit.....I don't care what they think.
omg I KNOW (about them screwing it up by making edward stay) honestly, it depends. if they keep Tayler ;;knocks on wood;; I think they should kick edward out within the first twenty minutes of runtime, if not less ;;cringe;; even though that sounds harsh. he didn't get a lot of screen time in Twilight (although he got more than the book warranted) but I think if they want to really play into the fans passion for jacob vs. edward they need to get edward out so they can really really build up the jacob and bella element, which will add SO MUCH MORE to the later developments. if they make edward hang around too long I'm afraid it will make bella look bad when jacob comes along or people more adverse to warming up to the idea of him. I'm actually not finished reading New Moon (like I said, I didn't get into the series until *after* I saw Twilight) but I'm assuming the way the studio will address this, if they do is by:

1) keeping edward along longer than necessary
2) split the narrative so that it skips to what edward is doing while bella is being a zombie and the rest. i mean we have 3 months of zombie mode where we have no idea really, they studio might take that time to explore what edward was feeling, where he was, etc.

OR they could take the best route IMO and do exactly what the book does, end it with her traumatized in her room and utilize some visual to encompass the passing three months without mentioning edward.

I guess we will see...Im a bit happy the movie is aiming for next Nov. Sure, the cramped deadlines don't bode well for creating the best movie in terms of special effects, rushed pre and post, but at least we don't have to sit around scratching our heads speculating for three years.
Deja
Learning to Love Green

Post by Deja »

kuro_neko wrote:as a golden compass nut, I followed the movie heavily. weitz was a huge fan of the books and the movie was basically deconstructed in post and re-edited and censored by the studio against his will (to appease the catholic church who were going nuts about the plot of the books). the movie, just like any other movie where the big heads at the studio meddle with the finished work, ended up feeling really off balance. that is my impression with the Twilight. I loved the movie (it converted me, I hadn't read any of the books before I saw it) but my impression was that the director had a distinct vision and the studio had another and the contrast didn't always work so well (the emotional scenes are great, aka the director, the more action-y stuff felt a bit off, my take is that the Hardwicke wanted to focus on the gut of the story, the emotional element, where the studio wanted to add more action). Anyways, I guess what I am saying is that Weitz is a great director, TGC movie is still a great movie despite the studio fudging it up, so as long as he is given some amount of creative control I don't think we have much to worry about.

Thank you.

If we think about it, we know that CW was replaced partially through The Golden Compass, and then rehired. This may have been because there was a behind the scenes fight about Weitz wanting to remain faithful to the book and the Studio wanting to edit everything remotely eyebrow-raising out because of all the issues concerning Catholicism. This would coincide the rumor I read somewhere that he dropped out of the project because he couldn't handle the fans. Maybe it was because he was afraid of pissing all of the fans out who would likely blame him if the picture turned out to be a horrible adaptation. As happened.

The movie, I've seen clips, but not the whole thing, is absolutely gorgeously shot. I'm SO excited to see what he can bring to make the movie as epic as possible.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I agree with kuro_neko on building up on the Edward/Jacob tensions. There are those who have picked a team (Edward or Jacob) and there may be some who were dragged to the movie who don't have a side yet. Chris should find a way to amp this up for the Eclipse.

I'm not sure how they can do the passage of time. I keep seeing the whole HP change where you see Hedwig flying and it changes from fall to winter, though that would be difficult to do with NM because there are no owls and there are other more creative ways. I kinda think that having the striking of a clock going and it flashing from a black screen to a zombie Bella, and having her wake up and the clock stop after she wakes. I can't wait to see how he does this.

Poor Chis getting the short end of the stick on GC.
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

I like Chris Weitz as the new director...I in no way blame him for the Golden Compass...if you don't concentrate on the book aspect of it, its a very visually pleasing movie...I blame New Line for not wanting to create controversy because of the plot line...if you don't want to take risks, don't buy rights to a book with a controversial plot line...I'm excited to see what he will do