Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
xblgirl
Learning to Love Green

Re: Summit Entertainment

Post by xblgirl »

I'm not really saying that she did a terrible job. What I AM saying is that it could've been very much improved or better.
I'm an obsessed fan and not afraid to hide it :)
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

pharmer4 wrote:I don't think Catherine did a terrible job.

I mean, if the worst thing people can say about it is that it's not the same as they pictured, or there are storyline changes (which are required since no book can be made exactly into a movie), then it's not so terrible.

Uh, yes she did do a terrible job! :evil: She and Rosenberg butchered Twilight and if SM had not fought to have some things like more sexuality kept out of the film and insert "lion fell in love with the lamb" statement, we would have had a worse hack job than what we saw. CH wanted more sexuality in Twilight and SM said that is not how this story goes. This from an article in EW when Twilight was first talked about.

CH & MR have no concept of this genre anymore that Barrymore does. We got that disgrace of a movie because the core elements of the story were lost in translation. I wholeheartedly blame both Hardwick & Rosenberg for that. This was NOT LoTR complexity here, this was a simple love story between a human & a vampire, so the storyline did NOT need to be tampered with. :x

IF Barrymore is chosen, then this whole series has become a circus. A stupid circus. :x

Good luck Chris Weitz, you are going to need it with Summitt breathing down your neck for a quick money-maker. :x
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by pharmer4 »

@ xblgirl well, yes, anyone can say that - as they say, hindsight is always 20:20.

The fact is that Catherine is a professional, and one of the things that a professional director needs to do is make a very expensive enterprise such as a movie into a commercial success.

@ navarre that is your opinion, but I liked the movie. I'm certainly not going to try and convince you that you should like it, but I will try and convince you that Drew Barrymore is not going to be the director, Chris' brother Peter is (their company has the contract for the next 2, but Chris will still be in post production of NM by the time E should start).

Again to the point I was making earlier - you can't convert a 500 page book into a movie and expect it to work as you like. It is not simple to take detailed descriptions of a character that the protagonist loves, and translate that into the movie - it just does not work without making the entire movie a monologue by Bella over the top of filmed action.

And in the end, how the movie turned out should not affect your enjoyment of the book. If it does, well, that's just a real shame.
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

pharmer4 wrote:@ xblgirl well, yes, anyone can say that - as they say, hindsight is always 20:20.

The fact is that Catherine is a professional, and one of the things that a professional director needs to do is make a very expensive enterprise such as a movie into a commercial success.

@ navarre that is your opinion, but I liked the movie. I'm certainly not going to try and convince you that you should like it, but I will try and convince you that Drew Barrymore is not going to be the director, Chris' brother Peter is (their company has the contract for the next 2, but Chris will still be in post production of NM by the time E should start).

Again to the point I was making earlier - you can't convert a 500 page book into a movie and expect it to work as you like. It is not simple to take detailed descriptions of a character that the protagonist loves, and translate that into the movie - it just does not work without making the entire movie a monologue by Bella over the top of filmed action.

And in the end, how the movie turned out should not affect your enjoyment of the book. If it does, well, that's just a real shame.
First let me say it is because of my love for these books, that I am so ardent in my dislike for the movie. Never in my previous post did I state that my enjoyment of the books diminished because of this crappy movie.
It was the core elements that were forgotten, I did NOT state that every single bit of dialogue from a 500+ page book be used. But to omit the important parts like the full meadow scene, the blood typing, the FULL conversation at the restaurant, the cafeteria conversations between Bella & Edward and put in useless dialogue, scenes that were NOT in the book to satisfy CH's vision of what she thought Twilight should be were what ruined this movie for me. You are certainly entitled to your positive opinion of the movie.

I stand by mine and you stand by yours.

You do not have to convince me of who directs. I stated that IF Drew Barrymore was picked to helm Eclipse... but since it appears it is Peter Weitz, then fine, I hope he has the author's vision of this story.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
xblgirl
Learning to Love Green

Post by xblgirl »

pharmer4 wrote:@ xblgirl well, yes, anyone can say that - as they say, hindsight is always 20:20.

Yes, but there's much more than just "She did a terrible job" or "So much improvement!!! GAHGHGHAHGHAHG." Yeah. But if you were to ask nearly everyone that LOVES Twilight, they'll say that there was so much improvement needed to be done. Catherine made it like her own version of Twilight with Stephenie's intake(some). So, yeah, obviously there was improvement needed. But, that stupid field trip...NOT NEEDED. If they just went along with the story, no need for angry Twilight fans because of a scene that wasn't even in the book. Ok, there's my rant.
pharmer4

Post by pharmer4 »

I'm not sure that those people who argue about how the books are not represented faithfuly in the movie, realise just what it means when a company buys the film rights to a movie.

When Summut purchsed the rights from MTV, what they purchased was the rights to make a screen play from the source material and to use the name and names of the characters, etc.

They literally have the right to write any old garbage they like, then attach the name TWILIGHT and the character names throughout, and sell it as a movie "based on the best-selling book, Twilight"

This does not mean that they MUST do this.

You should also know that when MTV had the rights, they commissioned a screen play that then (thankfully) languished and was never used. Apparently, the ending involved the FBI comming in with jet ski's and other paraphenalia, almost like a Police Academy ending.

So I think a lot of people need to consider this when they look at the shortcomings of the film, and take them with a grain of salt, and be thankful for how CLOSE the movie is to the book, rather than worrying about the aspects that are not close to the book. Believe me, it could have been faaaaar worse.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

pharmer4, people are well aware of the original screenplay, and realize that they the studio, screenwriter, etc were within their rights to do the adaption as they pleased. While the movie could have been faaaaar worse, it could have been far better, and I say that taking budget and time constraint into consideration. You say that you're not trying to change anyone's opinions and make them like the movie, but it's starting to feel an awful lot like it.

Now how about we all stay on-topic and discuss Summit Entertainment?
I think Summit is rushing things. While it has been argued that it's because the actors are aging, that seems like a line of bull to me. Most fans would take laugh lines and a well-crafted cinema over shoddy quality while the actors are at their prettiest if they had the choice.
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
pharmer4

Post by pharmer4 »

It's a fine line though - how long can you wait and still have it believable.

I would assume that a lot of the users here are quite familiar with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and may have been aware that Joss Whedon had plans to make 4 made-for-TV movies based on 4 of the characters from the saga, including Spike.

James Marsters, in the end, pulled the plug on any talk of that because the time it took to raise funds etc was meaning it would be impractical for him to play the role, because he could not pull off a 20-something vampire anymore.

Same with Data in Star Trek.

So, while yes there is a bit of a rush going on, there will come a time when the characters can't pull off the ages they are supposed to be representing (sort of the opposite of the Cullens themselves).

You also have to balance the money side of it too - at the moment, there is an obvious buzz about the franchise (obviously, outside of the fandom) and interest in the industry, so you have to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.

xblgirl
Learning to Love Green

Post by xblgirl »

GRRR!!! Summit just screwed up. Solomon is OUT of the friggin movie!!! ASHGHAHGAIDJWEVBMSDFOCBKJNSDFMOIGBKLSVNJDFMOIVKLSHJDFNMCOIKL I'M MAD! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :x :x
heartsjasper
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by heartsjasper »

xblgirl wrote:GRRR!!! Summit just screwed up. Solomon is OUT of the friggin movie!!! ASHGHAHGAIDJWEVBMSDFOCBKJNSDFMOIGBKLSVNJDFMOIVKLSHJDFNMCOIKL I'M MAD! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :x :x
dont get mad at me. i dont know why everyone cares that much. he had like 2 lines. it didnt even click he was sam for a while. and yes im sure it could just have been my own stupidity. but yeah, it doesnt matter to me that hes out.
ImageImage
Team Alice & Jasper