Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
rjupiter
Learning to Love Green

Re: Worried about the New Moon movie?

Post by rjupiter »

the movie will be much better then Twilight, it will surprise some people how much it stays to the book, however there will be bits that I believe some people, the more ardent fans, will not like. I am kind of bummed for them.
VampireAlternative
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by VampireAlternative »

I am quite worried. In the Twilight movie, the lines were pretty all kept from the book (I could recite them as the actors spoke, which was pretty fun, even if it counts as showing off to my friends), because Catherine wished them to be.
But as they got a new director...I'm not sure everything, meaning the important lines we all really love, will be there.
Maybe the new director, Chris Weitz, wouldn't feel like everything had to be there...
Oh, and in the trailer, wasn't Laurent supposed not to know he left her? If so, what happened in the trailer?
"I then drink about five of these and I can deal with the world. Or the world can deal with a guy full of five cups of "coffee on demand"." - Gerard Way
rjupiter
Learning to Love Green

Post by rjupiter »

VampireAlternative wrote:I am quite worried. In the Twilight movie, the lines were pretty all kept from the book (I could recite them as the actors spoke, which was pretty fun, even if it counts as showing off to my friends), because Catherine wished them to be.
But as they got a new director...I'm not sure everything, meaning the important lines we all really love, will be there.
Maybe the new director, Chris Weitz, wouldn't feel like everything had to be there...
Oh, and in the trailer, wasn't Laurent supposed not to know he left her? If so, what happened in the trailer?
Don't worry I am fairly confident that the lines, all the good ones we know and want, will be in the movie though maybe not word for word we know how the "chick who writes the scripts" likes to mess that stuff a bit. However, I believe unlike Twilight they will be in there right context, for the most part.

What do you mean by "wasn't Laurent supposed not to know he left her?" in that in the book was Laurent suppose to know that Edward left Bella? Not exactly, in the book, if my memory sticks, she bluffed (or tried to) with him that were not around at the moment but they "come back often". She was prompted to lie from "Edward's voice".
VampireAlternative
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by VampireAlternative »

rjupiter wrote:
VampireAlternative wrote:I am quite worried. In the Twilight movie, the lines were pretty all kept from the book (I could recite them as the actors spoke, which was pretty fun, even if it counts as showing off to my friends), because Catherine wished them to be.
Don't worry I am fairly confident that the lines, all the good ones we know and want, will be in the movie though maybe not word for word we know how the "chick who writes the scripts" likes to mess that stuff a bit. However, I believe unlike Twilight they will be in there right context, for the most part.

What do you mean by "wasn't Laurent supposed not to know he left her?" in that in the book was Laurent suppose to know that Edward left Bella? Not exactly, in the book, if my memory sticks, she bluffed (or tried to) with him that were not around at the moment but they "come back often". She was prompted to lie from "Edward's voice".
Yeah, Bella lied. But in the trailer, Laurent knew Edward left her. How come? Did they change that part?
"I then drink about five of these and I can deal with the world. Or the world can deal with a guy full of five cups of "coffee on demand"." - Gerard Way
rjupiter
Learning to Love Green

Post by rjupiter »

VampireAlternative wrote:
rjupiter wrote:

Yeah, Bella lied. But in the trailer, Laurent knew Edward left her. How come? Did they change that part?
you have to remember its just a trailer and you are not seeing the full scene. I am sure there is more to it that we haven't seen yet.
Hearts in red ink.
Wandering Through Town

Post by Hearts in red ink. »

rjupiter wrote:

laurent could have assumed he left, maybe ??? i'm sure he realized how protective edward was of bella and assumed he wouldn't have approved of her being out alone like that ? i don't know. how would he have known ? why would she tell him edward left ??
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Hearts in red ink. wrote:
rjupiter wrote:

laurent could have assumed he left, maybe ??? i'm sure he realized how protective edward was of bella and assumed he wouldn't have approved of her being out alone like that ? i don't know. how would he have known ? why would she tell him edward left ??
I just assumed that Laurent didn't believe her. In the book she told him that the Cullens had moved on. And then Edward told her to lie about how often they visit. So Laurent knew in the book that the Cullens didn't live in Forks anymore. And Laurent was very sceptical of what she was telling him, so I'm sure he just assumed that the Cullens were gone and that they didn't visit. He had already been to their house and found it not to have been used for a long time. So I think that's how he knows.

As for the lines that we all want.: I agree with rjupiter. I am hopeful that they will all be there in some way. But not like it was in Twilight. Yes, CH put in quite a few of the lines. But they were in the wrong places at the wrong time. So I just pray it will be so much better in New Moon with a new director and hopefully Melissa will have learned something from last time as well.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
NeDzThErApYfOroCd
Settled in Forks

Post by NeDzThErApYfOroCd »

I think there was maybe a little more thought put into NM than Twilight because if everyone will recall Twilight was written right before the writer's strike so I think it was just thrown together. Then when they needed something added or changed CH had to do it herself because MR was already on strike. That's how we ended up with the spider monkey line. As we saw CH was not a very good writer. This time they know what they are up against and MR may have taken more of an effort and what she did miss CW was there to fix it (like the stitches scence). We all do have to remember though that as much as we loved the book they have to make some changes to make it visually effective in a movie. We can't read Bella's thoughts like we could in the book and the actor's all have to make you see by their actions and interpetations what is going on unlike in the book when you are told what is going on, if that makes any sense I can't seem to find the words to say how I'm trying to explain this. Which is why I would never be a good writer, I enjoy reading books couldn't write one to save my soul.
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

I have no worries for NM whatsoever anymore.
Except not knowing what Edward looks like in Bellas visions..
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

NeDzThErApYfOroCd wrote:I think there was maybe a little more thought put into NM than Twilight because if everyone will recall Twilight was written right before the writer's strike so I think it was just thrown together. Then when they needed something added or changed CH had to do it herself because MR was already on strike. That's how we ended up with the spider monkey line. As we saw CH was not a very good writer.
But still the script must have been mostly finished when writers strike begun, so CH just put in a few lines. And what bugs me is that MR was actually pleased with her work. Not an ounce of regret for anything, it seem like. She thinks she stuck to the book, when clearly anyone who has ever opened Twilight can see that she didn't. I agree that things have to be changed when adapting a book into a movie. In Twilight they should have made use of the great actors they had, and the wonderful story, and made it into something so much better. Even if it had to be changed a bit, they didn't have to ruin some of the most pivotal scenes.
Jadey wrote:I have no worries for NM whatsoever anymore.
Except not knowing what Edward looks like in Bellas visions..
I feel the same. I had lots of worries. I think this thread was probably one of the ones I posted most regularly in. No more. The trailer wiped it away. Rob is great, Kristen is great, they are great together. Love the wolf, love Taylor's new apperance. Loved the birthday scene. This is going to be great! I agree, my only concern is Edward in her delusions. I think we have to accept that we will be seeing him. But I liked the idea someone had about we seeing him and not Bella. Just to show the audience that it's really Edward. I think I could accept that more easily than having her hallucinations 100 % visual for her.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~