Discussion of the New Moon Movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Re: I've Seen New Moon! (Spoiler Alert)

Post by Chernaudi »

Amanda Beth wrote:^^^ Unfortunately I don't think Chris had any say in the Volvo. That would have to do with the Powers That Be and is completely backed up by dollar signs.
Well, just to let you all know, the Volvo S60R has been out of production since before Twilight filmed. That, and Volvo decided to make a plug for their C30 hatchback and now the XC60. And one also has to know that it wasn't just Volvo, but the owner of Volvo also may've had a say in things, too; Volvo is owned by the Ford Motor Company-yes Ford has owned Volvo's car division since 1999, just like how Volkswagen Group owns Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, Skoda, Seat, Bugatti and now Porsche.

And besides, its a car-just be glad that Chris and Summit were able to get the make of the car right.

However, I do agree that critics of the films should read up on the source material-at least cheat and read someone's cliff notes or read the Wikipedia plot summary. At least have the common courtesy to have some knowlege about something before writing it off-though it seems that quite a many of them liked Kristen's performance though.

I'll be one of the first to tell you that Stephenie's novels, at least right now, aren't the stuff of legend. But I'll also be the first to tell you that I liked the stories irregardless of their flaws-to write something just for the sake of writing a story that's entertaining to people is a great thing. I love the stories to the point where I've written some of my own, and I love just picking up one of the Twilight novels and being taken to another universe-and I'm a guy!.

I say, don't sweat the details-as long as the movie stays true to the original story, that's fine enough for me. Mrs. Meyer is involved in the production of the movies as a consultant and gets story credit-I don't think she'd let someone pee all over her story or change things unless she approves it. And I've never seen critics as worth anything, like tabloid writers and the paparazzi-people filling out a made up job, and are largely superfluous-New Moon breaking so many records and leaving almost all the people who saw the film happy proves that, as did, for example, Pink Floyd's albums A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell-loved by fans, but trashed by most critics at first, because those albums were made after Roger Waters left the band.

So I say, if you're happy about the film, there's a reason for it. And I haven't seen the full movie, yet, just to let you know-I'd love to, but I just lost my job and I'm a tight wad. That, and I'd rather see the movie with a friend.

Enough about me, now that I've made myself seem entirely out of place. But I just wanted to say not to sweat the details-I know that all of us care about the novels, but Stepehenie has done a good job telling everyone what they can mess with and what should be left alone, and she seems pleased with the actors and the production teams' take on her vision.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Chernaudi~ First, welcome to the Lex, friend. You'll find there are a number of TwiGuys running around these parts, so please make yourself at home.

That being said, I have to disagree that it is a small thing to sweat with the Volvo. Now, in the grand scheme of things, would I have been happy if they had made it Emmet who attacks Bella but got the Volvo right? Absolutely not. But, there is a very important nuance of Edward's character wrapped up in that shiny silver Volvo. Particularly in the US, but even in many other countries, the car one drives makes a statement about who they are. Edward is NOT a middle aged soccer mom. Teh S60 is an indulgence, with top of the line engineering and technology, fast and elegant without being ostentageous, just like Edward. Yes, the S60 is no longer in production in the US. but, the fact remains that there are plenty of used Volvo sports sedans out there, and even if Volvo wanted to switch focus from the C30, finding another Volvo sports sedan woudl not have been too hard. I drive past a Volvo dealership everday on the way to and from work, and they had 4 out on the lot this morning.

As for the color, no they "slate grey" does not work either. Think about it this way.... there is nothing "shiny" about a slate grey car. And, that's the entire point. First off, before she even saw Edward himself, something of his called to Bella, gained her attention...the shiny silver Volvo that was the flashiest car in the parking lot that morning, something that calmed her because it made her feel a little more comfortable, like she wouldn't stick out too bad. To me, I always saw that fact, that it was Edward first that she noticed beyond all the students, even before it was actually him, as a bit of foreshadowing. The shiny silver color I don't take as a coincidence, either. The Volvo came to represent Edward, both in Bella's head, and the heads of many readers; sleek and refined and luxurious without being flashy, safe and secure.

To take that away in the name of marketing was nothing short of blatant idiocy. The best way I have heard it explained yet is likening taking away that iconic silver Volvo to killing the Batmobile or the General Lee or James Bond's Aston Martin. The fact that it backfired horridly and the volvo SUV is nothing but forgettable in the film, just seems a bit of poetic irony to me.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

If you guys go back one page I posted a quote from Chris explaining the car and color change :)
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

They could've used a S60R-but there's not too many silver S60Rs out there for sale as a used car except for those that have been in accidents. Volvo decided to endorse the movie, and I don't think that they and Ford would advertize a car that's no longer in production. It'd be like if Ferrari/Fiat endorsed Breaking Dawn-would the car that Bella gets as a gift from Edward be the new F458, or the by then out of production F430?

I understand sticking with the book, but when when a car company(or another business) endorses a movie, do you think that they'd market a car that they don't make? And I know, Ferrari will offer factory support for teams that race F430s in the American Le Mans Series, FIA GT series, Le Mans Series, et al, but that's because the F458 hasn't be homoligated by IMSA, the ACO, and the FIA yet as a racing car. So if/when Breaking Dawn get's made into a movie, expect Kristen Stewart to be given a crash course on how to drive a Ferrari F458, especially if Ferrari endorses the movie.

These car makers are like any other company-we'll give you this much money and advertizing and marketing if you agree to use X model of our car.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

All the same, Jazz Girl's points do stand. They didn't have to take the sponsorship.

She forgets one more connection between Edward and his car, though. They're both shiny. ;)
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

ringswraith wrote:All the same, Jazz Girl's points do stand. They didn't have to take the sponsorship.

She forgets one more connection between Edward and his car, though. They're both shiny. ;)

Or, even if they did, if Volvo wants in, Summitt can dictate some of the terms. "Absolutely, we'd love to have you on board. But, shiny silver Volvo is non-negotiable. What's the compromise." There are roughly 20 different Volvos they could use.

Oh, and, I didn't forget, love. It's just subtle.

Jazz Girl wrote: To me, I always saw that fact, that it was Edward first that she noticed beyond all the students, even before it was actually him, as a bit of foreshadowing. The shiny silver color I don't take as a coincidence, either. The Volvo came to represent Edward, both in Bella's head, and the heads of many readers; sleek and refined and luxurious without being flashy, safe and secure.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

CW already took fault for the color of the car (see previous page). He thought it would be better if it was a completely different car rather than an obviously different model in the same color. He has apologized.
Sannois
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Sannois »

I am sort of afraid to post this.. I have read many posts and many feel the way I do.
First off it is Waaay better than Twilight. Not hard to do. LOL Second WHEN is somone going to give KS acting lessons?? For gods sake she never cried through the whole thing. Somone who is so crushed and broken hearted, Please, she looks constipated . Heavy breathing and cringing. Not a wet eye ever.
Rob, Well he can act, I personally found him less charming in this, but then he has such a small part. I am officially off the fence and on the Side of Team Jacob and wolfpack!!! That kid has a future. He can act, and showed such good emotion in the right places, He was believable, WE are stuck with KS I know, and if I did not love the books so much...
CW did a great job sticking with the book for the most part. And My favorite scene is after Jacob and Paul get in a fight, And being at Emilys house, just like the book, right down to the huge muffins. Wonderful. The wolves were great, but the scenes too short and too few.
I am going to see it again tomorrow with a friend who has not seen it.
Oh and one last thing! HAted the eyes on all the Cullens, I liked the way they looked in Twilight, these were too drastic, and not human looking. I know they arent but.. Just my humble opinion.
Every time I hear thunder, I wonder if Vampires are playing baseball. Alice is my personal shopper
Sannois
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Sannois »

sparkling90 wrote:The Bella as a vampire scene seemed out of character to me. The clothing really didn't make sense. Many people laughed at this scene in my theater! I think it's just too "two lovers run through a meadow holding hands" for me.
I have to make one more comment, I have to drag out breaking Dawn, but I think Bella whas awearing some white dress that Alice dressed her in right after she became a vampire, Because she comments on how it gets shredded. when Edward and her are out hunting. So that scene rang true for me. I could be wrong, will have to go look it up.
Every time I hear thunder, I wonder if Vampires are playing baseball. Alice is my personal shopper
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Sannois wrote:
sparkling90 wrote:The Bella as a vampire scene seemed out of character to me. The clothing really didn't make sense. Many people laughed at this scene in my theater! I think it's just too "two lovers run through a meadow holding hands" for me.
I have to make one more comment, I have to drag out breaking Dawn, but I think Bella whas awearing some white dress that Alice dressed her in right after she became a vampire, Because she comments on how it gets shredded. when Edward and her are out hunting. So that scene rang true for me. I could be wrong, will have to go look it up.

I agree with you, it's kind of how I imagined Bella's first hunt with Edward. It was kind of cheesy but I liked it. (And plus this is Alice we're talking about!)

For me the best part was Michael Sheen as Aro. He was absolutely perfect! He stole the whole Volturi part for me.

And I was happy that they seemed to keep a lot more of the lines from the book than they did Twilight. Especially the breakup scene, it's been awhile since I read it but it seemed like it was almost word for word from the book, which was really good.

I also like the Dear Alice parts. I thought it was weird at first, but I liked it becaus it showed how Bella & Alice's relationship has changed & they have grown close. I didn't think Twilight showed good job of that developing.

And that ending?! It was so crazy but cool at the same time. Like I understand why they did it and it was smart of them to leave you on a cliffhanger and make us anxious for Eclipse. But man I didn't see it coming like that. And it makes me curious how they are going to transition to Eclipse. (Will they show her saying no at the beginning of Eclipse? Or what?) I just hope they get the "official" proposal right.

All in all I thought NM was pretty good (especially considering it's my least favorite book.) And I'll probably be seeing it again later this week w/my mom. She wants to see it (even thought she has not read the books) and so I"ll have the reason to see it once more.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson