Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
jonilee73
Settled in Forks

Re: Worried about Eclipse?

Post by jonilee73 »

I don't think it is terrible or anything, but it is just so frustrating. I agree that she must have called while in the car. Also, it doesn't seem like her hand is broken, so I don't think she punched Jake. And if she didn't punch him then that leaves out the "No, Emmett, I punched a werewolf in the face" line.
Forbidden to remember, terrifed to forget
You compare one small tree to the entire forest.

TammyAZ
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by TammyAZ »

for me I like it this way better. One of the things that bothered me so much in the book was first, Edward being so calm about her being basically assaulted…the other was Charlies reaction to it…”Way to go kid” reallllly bothered me as a parent. I don’t care who you are you don’t touch my child in any way (both teenagers) without their permission.

I guess at a certain age you just start to see things differently :)

"You will always be the most beautiful thing in my world" ~~Edward Cullen
Banner by me :)
MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green

Post by MiVidaLoca »

TammyAZ wrote:for me I like it this way better. One of the things that bothered me so much in the book was first, Edward being so calm about her being basically assaulted…the other was Charlies reaction to it…”Way to go kid” reallllly bothered me as a parent. I don’t care who you are you don’t touch my child in any way (both teenagers) without their permission.

I guess at a certain age you just start to see things differently :)
What age is that?
TammyAZ
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by TammyAZ »

hehe a lady never tells....old enough to have a teenage daughter. Which I think is why the reactions bugged me so much. If she came home and told me someone kissed her after she said no, I'd have to do some hunting of my own.

And if I ever found out my teen son did something like that, it wouldn't be pretty :P

Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Tammy~ It's not necessarily age. Although, I think maybe that helps some. I've actually had debates on this very forum with a few... ahem*younger* posters who tried to convince me that Jacob kissing Bella against her will wasn't that big of a deal and that it happens all the time and even that the dramatic portrayal of the kiss in terms of the way it happened making it more passionate. It was compared to the kiss between Rhett and Scarlett in GWTW for instance. I was literally in shock.

Regardless, I am anxious to see how it is portrayed in the film, how they handle it. For me, the biggest disappointment was Jacob's attitude. In the book, he's cocky, arrogant about it, he shows no regret or remorse, completely demonstrating how manipulative he is. But, in the film, it looks as though he feels bad about it. Once again, Summit's agenda and MR's preferences clearly pushing through the written material.

Jonilee73~ No, it's been confirmed that Bella punches Jacob, and gives him quite a good one at that. It was tweeted about madly by the folks who did the Oprah special viewing. It's one part of this movie I am REALLY looking forward to.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
TammyAZ
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by TammyAZ »

About the Bella punch...if you watch the clip of Bella and Rose talking you can see the brace on Bella's right hand :)

MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green

Post by MiVidaLoca »

I have a teen as well and have a daughter. (so I am guessing I am within that age) I have also dealt with abuse in relationships and just abuse period a good chunk of my life, all forms of abuse. That said, I honestly didn't think the kiss was as big of a deal as some people made it out to be. No I don't think it's right at all to kiss against someones will, but going off the characters, and all that we knew, I didn't look at it as assault. Charlie also piped up and said after that it wasn't ok.

Honestly as a mom I would have been far more concerned about Edwards stalkerish, controlling, obsessive, behavior.

BUT as a woman and given all the info known about the characters and the story, I also didn't get stuck on that, I "get it" and knew that Edward doesn't have aggression in his motives with Bella just as I didn't think Jacob had aggressive motives with the kiss either. Teen boys don't always "get it" when it comes to girls.

I don't understand how people can come down on Jacob's behavior but not see the negative in Edwards or make excuses for it. Seems very hypocritical.

For the record, I am not "Team Jacob"

I looked at it a bit differently, that's just me though.
TammyAZ
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by TammyAZ »

I see your points and I agree with some of them. it's so funny how I get into these discussions about fictional characters. I guess the biggest difference I see in the boys' behavior is that Bella welcomed and encouraged Edwards behavior (except when it came to her seeing Jake, but hey I know my hubby would get a bit possessive if I kept trying to sneak off to see someone :) ) and she distinctly told Jake no.

Of course we find out later she loves him too :) But at the time it was something she didn't want him to do. I think that is why I like the movie version a little better. I guess I just enjoy a little aggressive Edward over the more passive one :oops:

MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green

Post by MiVidaLoca »

TammyAZ wrote:I see your points and I agree with some of them. it's so funny how I get into these discussions about fictional characters. I guess the biggest difference I see in the boys' behavior is that Bella welcomed and encouraged Edwards behavior (except when it came to her seeing Jake, but hey I know my hubby would get a bit possessive if I kept trying to sneak off to see someone :) ) and she distinctly told Jake no.

Of course we find out later she loves him too :) But at the time it was something she didn't want him to do. I think that is why I like the movie version a little better. I guess I just enjoy a little aggressive Edward over the more passive one :oops:

Don't get me wrong, I have no qualms with either character and their personalities. Bella doesn't always welcome or encourage Edwards behavior. In fact, that is why she is sneaking off, because of the fight it causes for her to have Jacob as a friend. Edward gets angry with any guy that liked Bella, in the books, the only guy he didn't show distaste for that I can recall is Ben who wasn't interested in Bella.

But sneaking into her room to watch her sleep before she ever welcomed or encouraged it??

I mean part of me says, Man I wish a guy was so enthralled with me that he acted the way Edward did. But than the mom/protective side of me says this is not ok.

I mean you have a teenage girl who feels vulnerable and awkward and out of place in her new area. Than you have the
"most beautiful, intriguing, mysterious, strong, protective" guy that finds interest in her. I can't imagine any teenage girl not falling completely head over heals in that situation and encouraging and welcoming behavior that might not be ok and she doesn't even realize why it's not ok yet.

Shoot you see or hear about teen girls in abusive controlling relationships all the time for this very reason.

Anyway, don't mean to go off on a tangent.

I just think if people are going to point out the not OK, stuff Jacob has done, it's only fair to acknowledge the stuff Edward does as well.

In all realness, my "perfect" guy, would have a combination of them both :p I mostly like Edward, but I all about fun and jokes and sarcasm and Edward can just be way to serious. So I would steal that part of Jacob.
TammyAZ
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by TammyAZ »

LOL I think I am kinda the opposite. My husband is a sweetheart, funny, sarcastic and makes me happy (we'll be celebrating our 21st anniversary in Oct) but as far as romance goes....it is definitely not his strong point!! I would love it if he would take some cues from Edward :)