Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Worried about Eclipse?

Post by Amanda Beth »

yorkkipup wrote:I just read a clip from an interview with the screenplay writer Melisssa and she was saying how she was so excited about getting to flesh out Riley's character and that viewers would be excited to see his relationship with Victoria develop. What!!!
I don't care about Riley. He was in the book for what - all of a couple of pages? It just seems more and more that the movie version of Eclipse is going to be all about the bad vamps. Doesn't David Slade realize where the real focus of Eclipse should be? I wonder if he has talked to Stephenie at all about the book. I know it is early yet but the more I hear the more worried I get.
They've already shown pictures of Victoria and Riley meeting under a bridge or something and they were kissing, so that's nothing new. You guys need to remember that characters need to introduced differently in movies than they are in books... just like they had scenes w/ James, Victoria, and Laurent. You don't get Bella's narration in the movie so they need more screen time for the audience (well, those who haven't read the books at least) to understand them.
TammyAZ
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by TammyAZ »

As the mother of a teenage daughter (she is 14) I have a few worries about eclipse.

After several months of trying to get me to read the books, which she had read and re-read over and over :P I finally picked them up and was instantly hooked....not on the vampires or the werewolves or the humans, but on the story building between the 3. I love the feel in Twilight....early love, sweaty hands, butterflies in the stomach ( I'm almost young enough to remember those feelings :) )

Then in New Moon where her world comes crashing in and her reason for living is gone ( been through a couple of those) but in the end her prince comes back only this time it was the lady in distress that did the saving.

In Eclipse, yes there is more danger, more reference to killing and the tension between Bella/Edward/Jacob gets intense, but in the books, the fighting, killing (can you say blood, gore and bonfires) are in the background. We know it's happening but we don't need to "see" it to know the outcome. Now I am not saying leave it all out...I love some good action as much as anyone, but please don't turn the end of this movie into a blood fest. If I want to see that I'll go rent one of the "Saw" movies LOL.

I guess my point is, my daughter loves the books for the same reason I do....not because of WHAT the characters are but because of WHO they are.

I hope my ranting made sense to everyone!!

"You will always be the most beautiful thing in my world" ~~Edward Cullen
Banner by me :)
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

TammyAZ, it'll be rated PG-13 (a requirement by SM that none of them are rated R--I see you're new here so you may not have known that) so I don't think you'll need to worry about it being very bloody. In Twilight you pretty much see Alice break James' neck and then see them all dancing around the bonfire... and in the New Moon trailer you see Aro break a guys neck-- I don't think "gore" will be a good word for any death scenes they have in the film. I'm thinking the battle will look more like the one in the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe movie to be honest lol.
lionlover
Wandering Through Town
Location: Listening to Debussy with Edward, in his bedroom ;)

Post by lionlover »

yorkkipup wrote:I just read a clip from an interview with the screenplay writer Melisssa and she was saying how she was so excited about getting to flesh out Riley's character and that viewers would be excited to see his relationship with Victoria develop. What!!!
I don't care about Riley. He was in the book for what - all of a couple of pages? It just seems more and more that the movie version of Eclipse is going to be all about the bad vamps. Doesn't David Slade realize where the real focus of Eclipse should be? I wonder if he has talked to Stephenie at all about the book. I know it is early yet but the more I hear the more worried I get.

Those were my exact thoughts when I read that article! Who cares about Riley!! I really hope they don't put alot of focus on him cuz yeah, his role was very minor! That chick irks me sometimes!!
"Do I dazzle you?" -Edward Cullen
"Frequently" -Me

RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

The scriptwriter has to know what they are doing to be any good, and Rosenberg doesn't. Some of the stuff added was necessary, but there's a point that I'm willing to take things added, plus it wasn't like she didn't have the other two books to work with, and the fourth one in the process of being written when she did the script.

What I'm really worried about is that the chemistry between Edward/Bella/Jake not being there. There's the chemistry between Edward and Bella, but the bit of interacting between Bella and Jake does come off as more siblingish more then bf/gf, IMO.
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

*waves arms frantically in the air*
Okay so I THOUGHT it was brought up already once that people were worried about Edward's car changing and that it was no longer silver and some rep from the movie said no it is.

http://www.popsugar.com/5214549?page=0,0,0

Uhhh...???? That's not silver!
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Amanda Beth wrote:*waves arms frantically in the air*
Okay so I THOUGHT it was brought up already once that people were worried about Edward's car changing and that it was no longer silver and some rep from the movie said no it is.

http://www.popsugar.com/5214549?page=0,0,0

Uhhh...???? That's not silver!
Yeah, either they lied, or they are going to CG the correct colour. But if the latter's the case, why not just use the right colour the first place? I'll give it to them him having a C30 over the S60R because the colour was right - but this pic's are just wrong.
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

This movie is getting me nervous. I'm worried that after New Moon, the wonderful dream will be over and we'll wake up to a Catherine-like disaster with Eclipse--meaning the movie leaves out major key elements and scenes that were in the books..
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Okay...ya'll are stressing me out! :?
We have 33 days until New Moon, so let's get that one done first before we panic, shall we? :|
I, too, am a little concerned with the new director...and I have ALWAYS been concerned with the screenwriter. IMO, she has straw for brains! But, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...FOR NOW.
HOWEVER...the Volvo had better be silver!!! :evil:
swedishskinjer
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by swedishskinjer »

David Slade is a terrific director. Hard Candy is one of my favorite films, too. I have absolutely no worries.

As far as Riley is concerned, I think that he was an intriguing character, and I'm happy to hear that they're developing his relationship with Victoria to some extent. Twilight (the movie) was effective because it let us see more of the nomads throughout the film. In the book, their limited appearance didn't make them nearly as frightening. It actually seemed too...sudden.