New Over 50 Twi-Fan

Introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Susie
Frozen in Time

Re: New Over 50 Twi-Fan

Post by Susie »

Bree - It's great that you are so excited about your trip to the U.S. Your life will certainly change.

Would you be offended if I gave one piece of grammar advice?
bree wrote:I really would like to get to know better your culture and language...
Word order: the direct object must follow the verb and then the adverb

I really would like to get to know your culture and language better

Of course we understand what you are saying, it just sounds "foreign" to us. Don't worry, I won't correct you all the time! I felt OK doing it because this is on my New Kid topic board. Don't feel self-conscious about your English (but always capitalize English). Only English teachers notice the small details. Of course, if you WANT me to correct you, please let me know and we can do it through PM.
LucyCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by LucyCullen »

If you want to correct me too, please feel free to do it. :D School is a long time ago and if you don´t mind (I don´t want to cause you work in your spare time), but I think there are a lot of things I´ve forgotten and sound maybe strange to you.

@ Twilight:
I really wish my mom would read the books too! But she always laughs at me because she thinks this only is stuff for 14 year old girls and that even I´m too old to read the books. :roll: :D
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

If you want to correct me too, please feel free to do it. :D School is a long time ago and if you don´t mind (I don´t want to cause you work in your spare time), but I think there are a lot of things I´ve forgotten and sound maybe strange to you.
I'm happy to do it (unless it is an entire essay). Your English is very good! There are just some strange word order things that are typical problems for German speakers (you do speak German in Austria, don't you? Now I'm embarrassed!)

should be: ...maybe sound strange..... AND .....this is only stuff for 14 year old girls.....

@ Twilight:
I really wish my mom would read the books too! But she always laughs at me because she thinks this only is stuff for 14 year old girls and that even I´m too old to read the books. :roll: :D
Please tell her that the books were not originally intended for a young audience. I'm 51 (but look and feel a lot younger) She probably doesn't know how erotic the books are! She probably doesn't know that the characters are developed so well that you don't want to leave them when you finish the books. She probably doesn't know that there are some sophisticated themes in the books. Twilight has really helped me get through the depression of winter and menopause! It's pure fun! I actually feel rejuvinated. So, that's my story!
bree
Settled in Forks

Post by bree »

I would be grateful if you could help me, please feel free to correct me :) some of my big problems are that I've learned German for 9 years and the Hungarian grammar is more different than English or German grammar.
unfortunately I haven't learned already foreign languages on the university :(
LucyCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by LucyCullen »

Thank you! :D

Yes, we do speak German in Austria. :D It´s like UK and US, the pronunciation is different, so you can hear if someone is a German or Austrian. :) The words are almost the same, of course there are some words we use only in Austria and there are some they use only in Germany.

I´ll tell my mom. Maybe I´ll donate her the first book at her birthday. :D Because then the book would be there and she is very curious ... :mrgreen:
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

bree wrote: I haven't learned already foreign languages on the university :(
I haven't already learned...... (adverb between the auxiliary and the main verb)

We wouldn't usually use "already", though.
We would just say "I haven't learned ( or studied) any foreign languages at the university"
If you are still at the university this present perfect is ok.

If you are finished with school, you need to just use the simple past tense:

"When I was at the university, I never studied (or didn't study) any foreign languages"

....at the university.

All else was perfect!!! You can send me a PM anytime...
bree
Settled in Forks

Post by bree »

Thank you! I am still at the university and yes after I sent the post I recognized that "already" is not after the main verb :D
Susie wrote:
bree wrote: I haven't learned already foreign languages on the university :(
I haven't already learned...... (adverb between the auxiliary and the main verb)

We wouldn't usually use "already", though.
We would just say "I haven't learned ( or studied) any foreign languages at the university"
If you are still at the university this present perfect is ok.

If you are finished with school, you need to just use the simple past tense:

"When I was at the university, I never studied (or didn't study) any foreign languages"

....at the university.

All else was perfect!!! You can send me a PM anytime...