How do I get a picture when I post? (Avie and Siggy advice)

HOW TO's and FAQs FOR THE PERPLEXED
Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

How do I get a picture when I post? (Avie and Siggy advice)

Post by Pel »

Look up at the top of this website and you will see the words "user control panel": click on it.

For the picture next to your name (aka "avatar" or "avie")

Click on the tab that says "profile" and then click on the "edit avatar" option.

We only allow avatars that are remotely linked, otherwise the strain on our server would be way too much.

In the box that says "link to off site", put the URL (aka the www address) of where your avatar is.

Please make sure avatars are no more than 100x100 in size!

For the picture at the bottom of your posts (aka signature banner or "siggy")

Click on the tab that says "profile" and then click on the "edit signature" option.

In the box put the URL (aka the www address) of where your banner is, and put image tags around it. So it looks like this [img ] http://s2.tinypic.com/sflaoo_th.jpg [/img ] (except there should be no spaces inside the img tags! Bunch all the info together.

Banners must be no mare than 200 high and 300 wide -- otherwise they stretch the board.

We recommend http://photobucket.com/ or http://www.tinypic.com/ as places that you can upload your avatars from. They are free and reliable!
tricia
Learning to Love Green

Re: How do I get a picture when I post? (Avatar and Siggy advice

Post by tricia »

Hello

First i want to say what a beautiful new look. I love it!!! Thank you for all you have done to get this site back up and running.

I am having advatar issues... you would never know i used to do IT at a major interent company years ago... but i am having trouble with my advatar.

Well... while i was posting this i figured out when i was doing wrong... but i still wanted to post my thank you for getting this back up and running. All your work is very much appreciated.

thank you
"Her existence alone was excuse enough to justify the creation of the entire world."

And, by the way, I adore you... in frightening, dangerous ways.
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

I'm getting an error message that says "It was not possible to verify the dimensions of your image." It's the same banner I used before. Is there something I need to do differently other than plug the url into the image brackets to get "verification?"

Thanks!
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Post by Pel »

nissanmama wrote:I'm getting an error message that says "It was not possible to verify the dimensions of your image." It's the same banner I used before. Is there something I need to do differently other than plug the url into the image brackets to get "verification?"

Thanks!
We had to take the size down to 200 rather than the former 250 that might be it.
IceisNice
Settled in Forks

Post by IceisNice »

Hi! I've been trying to get an avatar up, and it won't seem to work for me. I've put in the size (it's always 100X100), and the link, but it says that my URL is invalid. I tried a photobucket URL first, and since that didn't work, I went to Vesparim (pretty sure I didn't spell that right), but that link didn't work either. Is there anything you can do to help me? Thanks!
"Kryptonite doesn't bother me, either."-Edward Cullen
IceisNice
Settled in Forks

Post by IceisNice »

IceisNice wrote:Hi! I've been trying to get an avatar up, and it won't seem to work for me. I've put in the size (it's always 100X100), and the link, but it says that my URL is invalid. I tried a photobucket URL first, and since that didn't work, I went to Vesparim (pretty sure I didn't spell that right), but that link didn't work either. Is there anything you can do to help me? Thanks!
Never mind, I figured it out. Sorry!
"Kryptonite doesn't bother me, either."-Edward Cullen
Saffron Sunset
Settled in Forks

Post by Saffron Sunset »

I'd just like to add for anyone who might be having trouble with adding avatars:

If the link to your image is too long, the site will reject it. Re-upload the avatar to a site like TinyPic – this will reduce the length of the URL, and it should then be accepted and you'll be able to use that avatar. =)

I know some people had problems with this on the old version of the Lexicon, and I'm pretty sure it still applies here too. It's just something funny in the coding, I think. A lot of forums have it.
Formerly known as t1gr355.
I'm a Vesperarium Staff member – find the site here for graphics help!

(Keep it light.)
ferita
Settled in Forks

Post by ferita »

my avatar keeps changing by itself,to this randome thing and i can't even read it. its not an unverified avatar, it works for a little and then when i go to look at one of my posts it has just changed by itself. any help?
Is it weird that it still surpries me every time I open one of my stephenie meyer books to find it signed even thought I was there when it happened?
Eri
Displays Excellent Tracking Skills

Post by Eri »

From what i can see that's no the avatar you used, it's some sort of link to the site you used to shrink the pic.

Please, post here the link to the original pic you wanted as avatar and we could resize it
ferita
Settled in Forks

Post by ferita »

http://www.holyrootfarm.com/HRF_images/Apple_heart.jpg

thanks so much that totally makes sense!

ps. i hope thats the link you wanted
Is it weird that it still surpries me every time I open one of my stephenie meyer books to find it signed even thought I was there when it happened?