How do I get a picture when I post? (Avie and Siggy advice)

HOW TO's and FAQs FOR THE PERPLEXED
Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Shakespeare
Wandering Through Town

Re: How do I get a picture when I post? (Avatar and Siggy advice

Post by Shakespeare »

I didn't really know where I should ask this, so sorry if this is the wrong place.

When I go on fanistes, I usually note in my signature that I'm an anti (mostly just to be honest). However, I'm a little unsure about whether or not I'm allowed to do that on this site. Also, would I be allowed to use an anti-Twilight avatar or banner?

Thanks.
I'm actually an anti. I don't like the Twilight series at all.

I'm here because I enjoy discussing literature and I think it's often much more interesting to talk to people who disagree with you.

And yes, I have read the books. ;)
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Hi and welcome!

I think the issue here is one of tact. I can understand why you'd rather not post here under false pretences. Being upfront about your opinions helps everyone, and it's good manners as a guest on a site run by and for fans. But it obviously all depends how you do it. Carrying an avie, banner or sigline which is rude and/or antagonistic towards the books or the characters or Stephenie or her fans would obviously be pretty discourteous here. But if you can find a way of expressing your views that's conciliatory rather than confrontational (or contemptuous), I'm inclined to say: more power to you. Especially if you can keep your temper -- I think you have to assume that running the "anti" flag up the flagpole will be a red rag to a bull for some hot-headed posters, which puts a burden on you to help to keep the conversation civil!

As for being "anti", you definitely don't have to love the books to contribute to the conversations here. It's just a question of variety: being relentlessly negative gets as tedious as being relentlessly swoony. One reason you might not want to officially label yourself "anti" is that it could get you bogged down in "pro" v. "anti" conversations when you'd rather be branching out into other topics. Something to consider....

Does that help at all?
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Moonlit Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Moonlit Sunlight »

Okay i was wondering how to put up a picture for my signature cuz i really am starting to believe that computers don't like me....
What a lucky duck! Wish he'd give me a hickey!
"LIfe sucks, and then you die." Jacob Black
Sponser of DBJ & Co. Donating Blood To Jasper & Co.
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

For advice on getting an avie and signature -- and lots more helping hints about the way things work here -- check out Alcyone's Guide to the Perplexed:
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Bella_Cullen_13
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by Bella_Cullen_13 »

Moonlit Sunlight wrote:Okay i was wondering how to put up a picture for my signature cuz i really am starting to believe that computers don't like me....
Find the Direct URL of the image, & put it in between image brackets [img] & close it with the same thing with a backslash before it says 'img' & then when you go to your User Control Panel & under the second tab from the left & signature & paste it in there.
Moonlit Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Moonlit Sunlight »

Bella_Cullen_13 wrote:
Moonlit Sunlight wrote:Okay i was wondering how to put up a picture for my signature cuz i really am starting to believe that computers don't like me....
Find the Direct URL of the image, & put it in between image brackets [img] & close it with the same thing with a backslash before it says 'img' & then when you go to your User Control Panel & under the second tab from the left & signature & paste it in there.
OMG thank you although i do feel a little stupid for not realizing how to do that.... Thanks again!!!!
What a lucky duck! Wish he'd give me a hickey!
"LIfe sucks, and then you die." Jacob Black
Sponser of DBJ & Co. Donating Blood To Jasper & Co.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I signed up for photobucket, and I've been trying to upload images from the web but it won't let me. Any help? And sorry if this is the wrong place, but it is to make a banner.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Eri
Displays Excellent Tracking Skills

Post by Eri »

Try uploading the image you want as a banner to Imageshack instead of Photobucket
Bella_Cullen_13
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by Bella_Cullen_13 »

debussygirl wrote:I signed up for photobucket, and I've been trying to upload images from the web but it won't let me. Any help? And sorry if this is the wrong place, but it is to make a banner.
You're probably not using the right URL - it needs to end in an image tag (.jpg , .gif etc.) & you need to make sure on your upload form, it says upload from web.
ellalou73
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by ellalou73 »

I wanted to share the avatars that I made, are we allowed to do that in a post but then what subject and group would that fall under?