Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Re: Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by Chernaudi »

Problem is with those OVA cartoons, we're not talking Three Stooges or Tom and Jerry bloodless violence. We're talking some pretty graphic bloody violence.

Fact is that if they can get away with a PG-13 rating (except for the last uncut episode) with that, then for BD, it should be a problem, and those cartoons (orginally unrated) were rated PG-13 about a decade ago. Ironically, the last episode had to be edited to get a PG-13 rating on account of nudity, which was a problem that it was feared that BD would have.

But then again, Guyver in Japan is considered a "shoten" manga, aimed at teens. And Twilight is aimed heavily at teens. Of course, there's a lot of difference between Japan in the '80s and '90s (the OVA was released in Japan from 1989-1992, and was first released in NA in 1992), and the US, Japan, and elsewhere today. What used to be PG-13 is basically PG today, and I'm a bit surprised that Twilight and New Moon got PG-13 ratings, as there's not much out of place content-wise with a PG rated movie.

There may be two reasons for that, being either that the thematic content is aimed more at teens, or they were hoping that guys wouldn't have a big issue with going with their date, GF, wife, or daughter to watch it.

But none the less, Summit got the PG-13 rating that they aimed for, so I wonder what everyone thinks about that, and if they can still do the book justice though the movie as far as content?
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I think that ratings have got a lot stricter in the past decade or so, over here, anyway. I look back to when I grew up, and we went to see all three of the original Indiana Jones movies, which were quite violent, but were all rated NRC at the time, which was equivalent to our PG rating now, which means kids can watch it with an adult. Yet, in Raiders, there were people dying grisly deaths (even more so in Temple of Doom) and it wasn't considered a problem. And now movies like Spiderman get an M rating over here! (for audiences over 15). It's crazy!
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

I think (depending on what it is), at least in America, film makers can get away with quite a bit more than they could about a decade ago. And it goes a bit back to something I discussed in the Gender Divide thread: Some people debating said that in America, we're more prudish to sex than violence, while in Europe and elsewhere, it's the other way around (that sex and sensuality is seen as the lesser of two evils vs violence), or that it's 50/50.

In the UK and Holland, for example, Twilight and New Moon were rated 12 (equivalent to the US' PG rating), so there it was rated lower because, if this theory is correct, the focus was more on romantic sensuality vs some violence.

The reason for the PG-13 rating is basically in part because of Raiders of the Lost Ark and the first Poltergeist movie, which were rated PG because of a lack of an intermediate rating between PG and R and it was felt that PG was more appropriate.

And ratings can be weird, too. The Bio-Booster Armor Guyver OVA I referred to was derived directly from a Japanese Shonen manga (aimed at boys/teens/YA readers from the age of 10 up) called by a Japanese title that translates into English as "Bio-Booster Armor Guyver". In the US vs Australia, the OVA was rated PG-13 and M (AU equivalent of PG-13 basically) respectively. However, in Australia, on an episode to episode basis, the ratings bounced back and forth between PG and M. When the new TV series Guyver: The Bio-Boosted Armor came out, in the US it was rated TV-MA (TV's equal to the R rating), in spite of the OVA cartoons being retrospectively given an PG-13 rating in spite of being more bloody violent (it was direct to video originally), but in Australia, both the OVA and TV series are rated M, and both are rated 12/15 (depends on the episode) and 15 respectively in the UK.

So who knows what's up with the rating's game here or elsewhere.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Over here the "F" word will get you an M rating every time, even if it's only used once. And all the Twilight movies were rated M over here, yet I don't think I'd have a problem with any child seeing it from about 12 onwards. We really need a PG-13 rating to handle movies like that.

It's interesting, because when this all started I remember a movie called The Age of Innocence, starring Daniel Day Lewis, actually got a G rating, but it's about him becoming engaged, then married, while considering an illicit affair! But because they didn't actually do anything onscreen, and because it was a period drama, it was rated G. I would have at least thought that PG would be on it! But no! Just fine for the kiddies! It's bizarre!
daffystjob
Settled in Forks

Post by daffystjob »

I'm concerned about a couple of things, in the trailer it shows a fight between Jacob & Edward yet it the book it just doesn't happen. Also why is there an altercation between some wolfs & Alice and Jasper. No mention of that in the book is there? I hated in eclipse particularly how details got changed to suit cinema viewers, leaving it up to the book fans to correct those "actions"

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

daffystjob wrote:I'm concerned about a couple of things, in the trailer it shows a fight between Jacob & Edward yet it the book it just doesn't happen. Also why is there an altercation between some wolfs & Alice and Jasper. No mention of that in the book is there? I hated in eclipse particularly how details got changed to suit cinema viewers, leaving it up to the book fans to correct those "actions"

Some action/fight scenes will likely be inserted due to their complete absence in BD, setting aside the fight training for Bella and Irina's execution.

Frankly, I wonder just how long that wolf pack scene is in BD1, when on the one hand it is supposed to be a real life and death battle between extraordinarily lethal foes, but on the other hand no one is supposed to get hurt.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I think the fight itself will be very brief, and won't contain much more than the bits we have already seen.

Daffy, you have to remember that we didn't see what happened immediately after Jacob imprinted and Bella started changing. It's quite possible that Edward reacted badly when Jake told him what had happened. We know that they certainly talked about it while Bella was unaware, because Jacob had extracted a promise from Edward to let him tell Bella what had happened. The conversation might have started off a little on the unfriendly side.

It's also possible, although unlikely (as the book tells us that Jake went looking for Sam to tell him that he'd imprinted) that the wolves attacked about this time too. Having them do so is not that great a stretch since we know that they had already considered it. Giving a book more action when it's transferred to screen is quite common, and, given the nature of the stories, I understand their reasons for doing that. As we know that this fight was always a possibility I don't have too much trouble with there being one.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Tornado wrote: Daffy, you have to remember that we didn't see what happened immediately after Jacob imprinted and Bella started changing. It's quite possible that Edward reacted badly when Jake told him what had happened. We know that they certainly talked about it while Bella was unaware, because Jacob had extracted a promise from Edward to let him tell Bella what had happened. The conversation might have started off a little on the unfriendly side.
The information we have at this point actually makes this the most likely scenario. Tweets from Jack Morrissey, BC's partner, as well as information from BC himself from ComicCon11, both indicate that the confrontation between Edward and the mongrel happens as a result of Jacob's imprinting. Also, if you look closely at the pictures of that snippet, you will see that there is actually blood on Edward's face and clothing. There's only one possible explanation for that. And, this is honestly one of those moments when I become torn between the purist in me who needs to see Edward shown as the man that he is, and the part of me who wants to see Edward finally have the release that's due him, even if we know it isn't canon. I felt the same way about the confrontation between Edward and the pup in Eclipse, directly following TGDS. While I appreciated Edward's deadly calm warning to Jacob, I always felt that a good part of his cocksure attitude was due to the fact that noone contradicted him. He needed to be brought down just a couple of pegs and reminded of what his rightful place was. If there was anyone who'd earned the right to do that, or who's rightful place was to do that, it is Edward. So, again, I find myself alternating between cheering and mentally fistbumping Edward for finally putting the dog on his butt, and cursing the fact that Edward is behaving so out of character. Granted, a part of me also believes that if Edward had sent Jacob sprawling buns over teakettle after he dared to put his hands on Bella against her will the first time it happened, things might (sadly because it means that Bella asserting that same privilege made no difference) be slightly different.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Taylor Lautner said at one of the Comic Con interviews that Edward throwing Jacob was as a direct result of finding out about the imprinting, so I don't think there's any doubt about that.

I don't have a problem with it. I loved seeing it on the trailer. I couldn't help but feel a fierce delight that the dog finally got thrown. And I don't think it's out of character for Edward. We know he has a temper, and he has thrown Jacob before (the morning after the tent scene in the book). It's quite easy to believe that he would lose it with Jacob, especially after the stress of nearly losing Bella and the wolf attack, and with Jacob strutting around looking delighted at the fact that he'd imprinted on Edward's daughter.

By the way, there are only 50 DAYS until BD pt 1 is out!!!!
daffystjob
Settled in Forks

Post by daffystjob »

Thanks for all your replies, I does seem to make sense to me now that that little punch up might be / is due to Jacob's imprinting. I hadnt though too far from the book but as was mentioned it isn't too clear in the book what the immediate affects of the imprinting on Jacobs & Edward's relationship.