Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: The Breaking Dawn (I) Trailer!

Post by Tornado »

Absolutely. And Bill Condon said during one of the Comic Con interviews that Bella's Lullaby will be in BD. Hooray!
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I think I love Bill Condon.

IMO, CH got the Edward/Bella vibe right and CW was the most faithful to the book with the exception of the ending. I can't thing of anything nice to say about DS, except that he got the meadow right. And BC seems to be saying things that make me hate some of the marketing Summit is doing.

Like I said in an earlier post, I wasn't actually planning on seeing BD before I saw the trailer, but then I saw the official calendar after seeing the trailer. Hearing BC say that he's using the Lullaby and seeing the few clips I've seen kinda make it hard to stay strong in my decision in not seeing BD,
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Eclipse was the only one I really had trouble with. Of course, I wasn't that fond of the plot of New Moon, but that's because I'm Team Edward, and it was the same with the book. So I am cautiously optimistic about BD.
Emmettroselover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Emmettroselover »

Yay I am not the only one! I have never been one to buy a score, but I bought the Twilight score and still have it on my iPod. The music was so moving and Hardwicke did a great job with the soundtrack as well. Neither of the scores for New Moon or Eclipse just stood out, but I think CH and Burwell really spoiled me.

Twilight is still my favorite film, but I did not dislike New Moon. It just wasn't one that I loved, which I expected because of the lack of Edward. Eclipse was the only film that utterly disappointed me. I had my reservations about Slade in the first place and understood right away what direction they decided to go with when they chose him as a director. It was more about the action and drama than the romance and decisions, which was annoying. In the book, we didn't know about Riley's character until later and while we had an idea of what was happening in Seattle, it didn't come to fruition until much later. I loved that the book was about Bella not really deciding as much as it was about her confirming and standing by her decision. So many people tried to talk her out of it, Jacob, Rosalie, and even Edward, but it was about her taking a stand for what she wanted even when she was willing to admit the sacrifice she would make. I felt like that was downplayed and overlooked at times in the film and that disappointed me. They took out parts and watered down others to make way for newborn scenes in Seattle, but that time could have been used for developing the main characters more. Even Jacob and Bella's relationship was glossed over just like the depth of Edward and Bella's. Their one true kiss was much more intense than in the film and there was much more of a struggle internally for Bella than it appeared in the film.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Rachelle, I agree with you 100%. I was exactly the same. I was extremely worried about David Slade, although I thought he was going to turn it into a horror movie (he certainly didn't do that!), but I felt he was a ridiculous choice for the movie of a book which is loved mostly for its romance. When the movie first came out and all the fans and critics started raving about it, at first I thought I was going to be proved wrong, and I would have been quite happy if I had. But instead we had this soulless thing that had cool action scenes (which I liked) and seemed to be going through the motions when it came to anything romantic. Most of those scenes were as stiff as a board.
Emmettroselover

The raving critics and hype that followed Eclipse just proves that a lot of the love was coming from the new audience Summit wanted to target. So many sites reported that Eclipse was the best in the saga and I wanted to believe them.....until I saw the film. My worries about Slade came to life. You could tell what he was comfortable with and what he wasn't. He really focused on the Seattle scenes and made them come to life, then glossed over the romance. It seems that the general public enjoyed Eclipse, then too it was clear they didnt read the books. I am not saying that anyone who liked the film is not a fan of the books, just that it is hard to dispute that it deviated from the book the most out of the three films thus far IMO. I think Team Edward and Team Jacob fans can agree on that. I have more faith in Condon because he seems to understand that romance is important for the books. In interviews, Slade really hyped up the action. Hopefully Condon does a great job. If not, it will be a long 2011 and 2012 for him because unlike the other directors, he will have to deal with the backlash for more than one film.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

It's interesting though, that I have heard DS say that he came to Summit with ideas that they thought were great, and then he tried to use them and they said, "No, you can't do that." I don't know exactly what his ideas were, and if they would have made the film better or worse, but he was probably entitled to a level of frustration throughout the whole experience.

It's interesting that the post on this board with reviews liking Eclipse is far longer than the one for those who didn't like it, so it doesn't just seem to be non-Twilight people who thought it was good. But then, again, I guess it's another one of those horses for courses things! Maybe we just didn't get it!
Emmettroselover

I love the loyalty of this fandom, but I can admit that sometimes it seems like we are more in love with the idea of the films than the films themselves as in we are just happy to have a chance to see everything on film. I know a lot of people from other sites who enjoyed Eclipse, but they will admit that they did not have tons of expectations coming in. I make the big mistake each movie of expecting it to stay close to the book. I think if I just watched Eclipse and accepted it for what it was, then I would be happy with it. I did that with New Moon because I was not over the heels in love with the book, but Twilight and Eclipse were my favorite books, so I did have big expectations for the film adaptations. Twilight lived up to it and Eclipse did not. With Breaking Dawn, I do not have many hopes except that the wedding be beautiful and they try to show what they can of the honeymoon. That's about it, so ironically I will probably enjoy BD more in the long run.

I also love this fandom because you have every type of fan. For all the fans like me who loved Hardwicke's interpretation of Twilight, there are people who could not stand her, so you are right. It is whatever floats your boat. Hardwicke is hilarious to meet though. I got to meet her at a convention and the stories she told just proves that she doesnt have a filter at times. I think it was better for her to not stay with the project because once the money started flowing, the game changed and she couldnt have stuck with the indie vibe. She said she doesnt regret not being a part of the other films because the first book was her favorite and she got to try her hand at recreating that magic. It would have been interesting to see what she did with the other films though.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, I'm trying not to get my hopes up with BD, but they keep creeping up there. This time I'm hoping to see it on the day of release, so that I can see it before I've had the chance to hear anyone else's opinions on it!
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I've got low hopes already for BD because of the marketing. They were low to begin with because of the book, the trailer put them up and the tie-in merchandise dashed them.

For a while I wasn't happy with how CH had done the first movie because I had just read the books for the first time very close to the release date, but looking back, I do think she did the best at giving me Edward and Bella. I loved the marketing for that movie the best.