A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Re: Review Time: The I Loved Bree Tanner Thread

Post by Seeker-Mar »

MiVidaLoca wrote:I read it on a drive we had that would take a few hours total.
I read a bunch of mine while on a long car drive too. :D
MiVidaLoca wrote:It's a good thing that Fred did leave, I can't imagine how the fight would have turned out if he had stayed and done what Riley wanted him to do. His gift would have hindered the Cullens and probably wolves.
Good point. I was thinking how bad it would have been for everyone if he had fought too!
MiVidaLoca wrote: We are like a bunch of newborns that even if we drink, that ache for more is still there! LOL
Ha ha! Great point!
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. James 3:17
lulu
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lulu »

i was looking for a place that talked about this book. i looooved it so much! it's funny because i wasn't really much aware of the book. i heard and saw a thing or two about it on twilight sites, but i don't feel like it was really promoted well. my take on the promotion was that this book was just a little side thought sort of thing. well, i'm here to say it was much, much better than that!

i had my friend pick me up a copy at the midnight release and i read it to my husband on saturday as we drove to and from a wedding that was a couple of hours away. he really liked it too! haha, he wouldn't go around admitting that probably, but it's true.

i realized how much i missed stephenie's writing. i wish life were different and that she had the time to just write story after story for us! i wasn't really a "reader" but i did love the harry potter series. well, this series blew that one out of the water, and it's hard for me sometimes to let it go and move on with my life! it's just so entertaining and i keep coming back to it. probably doesn't help that the movies are on this 3 year run in the making (which i realize is so fast)--prevents me from putting it away for a while. :)

anyway, i sort of rambled, but i just absolutely loved the story about bree. thank you stephenie sooo much!
elizabella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: In our cottage, discussing the latest fashion trends with Alice.

Post by elizabella »

So like some others on this board, I was always going to read this novella because my "thirst" for anything new was like it must have been for Jasper learning to become a vegetarian. :D However, never did I imagine that I would get so very much out of it. I had to force myself not to read it at one time because I started before bed and I didn't want to stop but I knew I had to. I also didn't want it to end. It had never really occurred to me that Edward was reading Bree's thoughts but of course that makes perfect sense. I also find Jane even more repulsive since it's so clear that they knew what Victoria was up to and they did nothing!All those people dead in Seattle just so the Vulturi didn't get their hands dirty, despicable. I also loved how I could see Bree and Fred learning about the vegetarian life if it had been possible and how Bree never really wanted to kill anybody who was good, except on the ferry which was devastating and horrible.

I really hope we get more of these little novellas since they add SO much to the story, and they look very pretty with all my books in a row together :)

Thank you Stephenie!

Alice's Party Planning Committe: (*bag carrier*)
Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Post by Seeker-Mar »

Just some thoughts...read page 577 of Eclipse again after reading TSSLBT. It really puts a new perspective on it. At least it did for me.

Bella thinks Edward is nodding to himself but he's nodding to Bree! He's agreeing with her that he is indeed the mind reader and hearing everything she is thinking.

I also always thought that Edward was interceding for her mostly on Carlisle's behalf. Now we know he was desperately trying to help her and save her. If you read the dialogue it really makes sense this way too. Because if it was only Carlisle that really wanted to save her why wouldn't he have done all the talking.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. James 3:17
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Post by Seeker-Mar »

lulu wrote: i had my friend pick me up a copy at the midnight release and i read it to my husband on saturday as we drove to and from a wedding that was a couple of hours away. he really liked it too! haha, he wouldn't go around admitting that probably, but it's true.
I've got my husband reading it too. I just handed it to him and said, "read." He's read all the Twilight books. He would say he read them for me but I think he likes them too. He's reading BT really fast. Only problem, he's an annoying Team Jacob member. ;) He calls Edward, "Ed" or "Deadward." :lol:
MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green

Post by MiVidaLoca »

Seeker-Mar wrote:Just some thoughts...read page 577 of Eclipse again after reading TSSLBT. It really puts a new perspective on it. At least it did for me.

Bella thinks Edward is nodding to himself but he's nodding to Bree! He's agreeing with her that he is indeed the mind reader and hearing everything she is thinking.

I also always thought that Edward was interceding for her mostly on Carlisle's behalf. Now we know he was desperately trying to help her and save her. If you read the dialogue it really makes sense this way too. Because if it was only Carlisle that really wanted to save her why wouldn't he have done all the talking.

I read it this exact way after reading the new book, I just posted about it in another thread. The way it's explained in the new book, it makes a lot of sense when Edward jumps in to intercede when Jane gives the order.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Like others here I really enjoyed reading this. I loved getting to know Bree a little bit more & knowing what was going on w/the newborns. I was kind of sad that it started a few months after Bree had been changed and we didn't get to see more of right when and after being bitten & the process that happens for a newborn. But other than that I liked it.

It also didn't occur to me that Edward would have been reading Bree's mind. I'm going to have to go back and reread that part in Eclipse now. Edward wannting to intercede & save Bree makes me like him even more. (I didn't know that was possible!)

I always knew that Edward susupected the Volturi knew & just weren't doing anything, but I tried not to think so. Letting all those innocent people die! And risking the exposure of the vampire world just so maybe something could happen to the Cullens seems irresponsible to me. Now it makes more sense the Eclipse clips we've seen w/the Volturi watching them.

One thing I found funny/interesting was where Bree comments that listening to vampires kiss sounds different than humans kissing. I never thought of that before. It makes me wonder how it sounds when Edward & human Bella kiss? I wouldn't mind a desciption of this!!

I am going to read this again. I read it over 2 days and I think I read it kind of fast so I'm not sure if I caught everything. Great job SM & thanks for giving us something else Twilight related to read!! (Now please just finsh the book that must not be named!!)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I really did enjoy this book and I am glad I bought it to go with the rest of my collection. Stephenie sure did give us a surprise with the Voturri which worries me a little. I know many of you want her to continue the saga however I am very skeptical especially after reading Bree's book. I think if the Cullens go up against the Voturi again then we are going to lose some of the Cullens which will make me very sad. I like that Stephenie wrapped it up all neat with a happy ending. So we have to be careful what we wish for.

If she writes more Novella's with Fred or other small characters I don't think I would buy all of them. I would probably just wait till my local library has them. Now if she does this all in one book then I might change my mind .But seriously I don't want to buy a whole bunch of mini books that I can read in a day about all these little characters. Bree was the only exception as of right now.
Banner by TammyAZ
elizabella
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: In our cottage, discussing the latest fashion trends with Alice.

Post by elizabella »

Edwards Ragazza, I understand that but I would love to read more about the wolfpack, maybe from Sam's perspective or Jane or Aro's perspective. I don't think she'll continue the books exactly, she said that Bella's story is finished and it is perfect but come on, wouldn't it be interesting when Renesmee becomes full grown ;-) ;-)

Alice's Party Planning Committe: (*bag carrier*)
Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

I just LOVED this book!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't read Twilight for a while and I remebered why I fell in love with this amazing series...
The whole book I wanted SM to change her mind and save Bree...
In Eclipse, when Bree was killed, I didn't care. Well, I enjoyed the fact that the whole army was destroyed. But after reading the book, I was devastated that she killed her. And even more- Deigo.
And the long description was horiffic! It was disgusting and horrible...

I don't really like Fred.. I think that he uses his gift to cut off the whole world and he lives in side a shell... though I'm glad he did leave...
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha