A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Fred's Power and Where Is He Now

Post by Pel »

So Fred's power. Is it like a Pepe Le Phew Thing, bad cheese, or the NYC subway on a 100 degree day in August. What did he have as a human that got enhanced to be that repellent?

Where do you think he went after Canada. Do you think he'd ever encounter the Cullens?
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Re: Fred's Power and Where Is He Now

Post by December »

Pel wrote:What did he have as a human that got enhanced to be that repellent?

Hahahahaha. You know, I hadn't thought about it that way. Good question....

Maybe the charitable answer would be: super-nerd vibes? The kind of kid who just radiates "loser" and "social suicide to be seen talking to me"? Rather than some spectacularly memorable pong...
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

Maybe he had a really low self-esteem… You know those people trying to walk between wall and paint to be sure to be unnoticed…

I was kind of sad that we will never see him again... I'd like to be sure that he is ok… :roll:

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green

Post by MiVidaLoca »

He was probably one of those people that has bad BO no matter what they do. LOL If he was added to the cullen clan, that would make the Cullens pretty untouchable. I mean the power they would have.

He is basically a shield and he has learned how to shield others, like he did with Bree, like Bella learned to do with her friends, but instead of mental like Bella it is Physical like shoot what is her name, ragatta or something like that. Aro's protector. I know his power works mentally to, but with Bella's power people can still physically attack and with Fred they can't. If that makes sense. lol

Anyway, since he can basically make people invisible, if you added that to what the rest of the Cullens can do, they would be able to stand against the Volturi against Physical and Mental attack. Hopefully some day we get a book on him and he meets up with the Cullens and joins them.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I think Fred gave you the idea that he was repulsive. To me it was like Jane's power in a way. Jane made you think you felt pain and with Fred he made you feel repulsed to be around or him or look at him. It could have been by many things odor, nerd vibes everyone was different of what they saw and felt. It seemed like when Fred could trust Bree he let down his guard and she got a chance to really see what his features really looked like cause she does say she thought he was beautiful. Maybe Fred never trusted anyone when he was human and always would try to blend in and that was kinda how his powers worked. He blended in like a piece of furniture.
Banner by TammyAZ
JustMe44
Settled in Forks

Post by JustMe44 »

So, I was wondering about whether Fred's power would work on Bella. I know the smell is a physical thing but Fred told Bree that Riley wouldn't even be able to think about him for the next 20/30 min. Do you think that would be the result of the ever so potent smell or would that fall under a mind thing, b/c I think I remember somewhere where Bree notices Fred is concentrating and later learns he has been practicing and exercising his talent. So could it be a mind thing like how Bree makes you feel pain in that Fred only makes you think you are smelling something awful? Just a thought.
GO VOLS!!
MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green

Post by MiVidaLoca »

I don't think it would work on Bella, it physical in keeping them away, but he doesn't really smell putrid, but like Jane's it's done through the mind. So I don't think it would be effective the same reason Jane and Alec aren't effective.
saw93
Wandering Through Town

Post by saw93 »

i loved fred :). I agree with the rest of you i dont think that it would affect bella because he doesnt actually stink its a mind thing. I dont know maybe he'll encounter the Cullen's maybe he wont :mrgreen:
as far as when he was human i thought of him like not having good higein or maybe he was reallllllyyyyy "socially ackward"
You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours." ~ Edward Cullen Eclipse
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Riley picked up all of his kids from the dregs, right? My money is on Fred being a brilliant but underprivelleged child, probably from an abusive home. To preserve himself from angry people, he would have been trying to make himself invisible or not worth noticing, maybe repelling people by acting weird because he was afraid a relationship would turn sour like his home did. That is exactly what his power does. People can't stand to think about him, even when he's not around. They call him "Freaky" not only because he's mentally repulsive, but because he wants them to so he can simply be left alone to study/think/do whatever it is that he does.

However, that doesn't really explain him being able to open up to Bree. Perhaps, human-Fred wanted to be able to trust people, but he lived in such a bad place there was no one he could trust. So he avoided people, made them want to avoid him, and he could do his stuff in peace.
That's my theory.

I wonder if Bella would be affected by his power? The repulsion seems to be a purely mental, if extremely strong thing. Andh ow would his power be nulled by her shield?
Shaunta28
Settled in Forks

Post by Shaunta28 »

I loved Fred! When she says in the book how beauriful he is and what he looks like it made me think of a high school football player or jock. For some reason he had friends but no true friends so somehow he keeps people at a distant with his smell like a trust thing. I really hope he meets up with the Cullens or at least the Denali clan someone who can set him on a good track.