A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Re: Discrepancies

Post by Seeker-Mar »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:I would assume the Volturi has done research on exactly how flammable vampires are, but they prefer to keep it to themselves

Oh, sick! Do you think they are that twisted? Yeah, they would be that twisted, wouldn't they! :lol:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Openhome wrote:However, if, if, vamps have this one weakness, their form of kryptonite, then the whole secrecy thing makes a lot more sense.
Good point.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. James 3:17
andypalmer
Learning to Love Green

Post by andypalmer »

I would guess burning napalm, if you could get it on a vampire, would kill one. I suspect that they could make it through "standard" fire relatively unharmed, as long as they were not "bleeding venom" but also suspect that more extreme heat would damage their outer "stone-like" skin and set their venom alight. So, humans armed with flamethrowers, incendiary grenades, and the like would be a threat, albeit only in numbers - vampire super-speed is a potent weapon.

Plus keep in mind that these are weapons that humans have designed without vampire-slaying in mind. If a war were to occur, within six months we'd have:
- white phosphorous rounds for guns (high heat)
- napalm filled bullets (think the UV or silver-nitrate bullets from Underworld)
- gyrojet weapons (think guns with bullets an inch or more in diameter, designed to hit harder and with bullets that could hold napalm or some other substance)

A bunch of guys spraying automatic fire at a vampire are going to hit with some of those bullets; if any individual bullets can get the fire going, the vampire would be in trouble.
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

This flammability business must be post-Ec, yes? I have NO recollection of hearing about it. Stephenie did say in one of the Personal Correspondences that a bomb would be hot enough to burn a vampire (if you could catch one), but at that stage in her thinking there's no mention of their being highly flammable in the right circumstances. Certainly the implication is that you wouldn't get very far with a cigarette lighter.

Q: Is it possible that a human could kill a vampire?

A: Er, not really. A big enough bomb would probably be hot enough to burn a vampire, but the vampire would have to agree to hold still and let it hit him.

(PC #6)

“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
andypalmer
Learning to Love Green

Post by andypalmer »

I will just note that Stephenie is not one of us XY types and, by her own admission, not a fan of the horror and hardcore action genres, so her mind is not going to conjure the same scenarios as those of us who watch the Underworld trilogy and such :D
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Er, yeah. I think you're right on several counts here.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

andypalmer wrote:I would guess burning napalm, if you could get it on a vampire, would kill one. I suspect that they could make it through "standard" fire relatively unharmed, as long as they were not "bleeding venom" but also suspect that more extreme heat would damage their outer "stone-like" skin and set their venom alight. So, humans armed with flamethrowers, incendiary grenades, and the like would be a threat, albeit only in numbers - vampire super-speed is a potent weapon.

Plus keep in mind that these are weapons that humans have designed without vampire-slaying in mind. If a war were to occur, within six months we'd have:
- white phosphorous rounds for guns (high heat)
- napalm filled bullets (think the UV or silver-nitrate bullets from Underworld)
- gyrojet weapons (think guns with bullets an inch or more in diameter, designed to hit harder and with bullets that could hold napalm or some other substance)

A bunch of guys spraying automatic fire at a vampire are going to hit with some of those bullets; if any individual bullets can get the fire going, the vampire would be in trouble.
I can SO see this as a video game! Can't you see Vulturi Wars for the X Box? My sons would be all over that.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

That's a pretty big "if." Even with all that firepower (pun intended) they still have to somehow manage to score a hit. Your average TW vampire should be able to avoid (and/or counterattack) all that.
andypalmer
Learning to Love Green

Post by andypalmer »

ringswraith wrote:That's a pretty big "if." Even with all that firepower (pun intended) they still have to somehow manage to score a hit. Your average TW vampire should be able to avoid (and/or counterattack) all that.
Oh yeah - certainly no "single vampire hunter"thing. I'm thinking 12 highly trained guys with fully automatic weapons with a 1 in 4 chance of taking one down. Even with "Matrix-type" reflexes, if you put enough bullets in the air, you can't dodge them all.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

I still think that's highly doubtful. No vampire is going to let themselves be caught in such a situation, and all it would take is for one vamp to get inside that group to decimate them.
andypalmer
Learning to Love Green

Post by andypalmer »

Oh - I just thought - SONIC weapons. Produce a really loud noise at a frequency that humans can't hear but vampires can; use their advantages against them. We have the technology, we can beat them. It would be akin to fighting the Predators; we'd lose 100 or more for every one of them, but we'd win in the end.

Sorry, give me enough time to think about this kind of thing, and I'll figure enough stuff out. Too many books, too much time playing RPGs, etc. :-)