Gutter Gals & Guys School for Cullen-ary Arts --Adult Thread

una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Re: Gutter Gals & Guys School for Cullen-ary Arts --Adult Thread

Post by una »

I really don't mind high school kids that dress up. That's festive and they are in the spirit (especially when they have little sisters/brothers or such with them). But adults, not even dressed up, using an infant (who's not dressed up) to gather free candy, irked me. There's an age (well, an age bracket) where you go from dressing up and going trick-or-treating to dressing up (or not) and attending parties or you dress up (or not) and pass candy out to the kids. I thought I was such the grown-up when (in high school) my parents said I might be too old for trick-or-treating. I was at first crushed, but they said I could still dress up but pass out candy instead. I had such a good time, parents would compliment my costume, the kids were fun and cute. It wasn't a terrible transition. Plus, my parents said any extra candy was mine, but if we ran out, they'd buy a bag for me as a thank-you.

Hi Bewitched, glad to see you!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Jamie
Settled in Forks

Post by Jamie »

Hello everyone :D Just getting the hang of the boards and all the different threads. Hope you don't mind me joining.

QOTD: How much Halloween candy have you already eaten?! OH, and what's your favorite? I haven't eaten any candy!!! I am so proud of myself. I am having major dental problems (which suck) but at least it keeps me away from the candy. As for a favorite - hmmm that is a tough one. I will have to with the Reese's cups.

As for the whole M. Night Shyamalan discussion - I used to love his movies. I thought Sixth Sense and Signs were amazing, The Village was pretty good and it just started going down hill from there. While I got Lady in the Water I just didn't like it so much and have heard nothing but groans in regards to The Happening. I wonder if it was a matter of Hollywood getting to him or something. Before anyone really knew who he was he was making stellar movies. Now that fame has hit and people are expecting great things from him we are being sorely disappointed.
And to think...before I knew about Twilight I walked hallowed ground and never had a clue! Proud to live so close to Forks!
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Aw, now I feel bad for dressing up in Highschool! Of course, I'd only do it because I was taking my little sister around the neighborhood- mom didn't want to do it. I still dress up to pass out candy, although last year I didn't get one single trick-or-treater... boo hoo.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

It feels like forever since I've been in the gutter. Computer broke... Well it is great to be back! Hope everyone is doing well.
moon sidhe wrote:So I just finished reading Dead Until Dark for the first time. The parallels to Twilight are.... impressive. I'm sure it's been asked before but does anyone know if SM read them before she wrote Twilight? There are so many weird coincidences.
The entire Sookie Stackhouse series was written before any of the Twilight series. There are many extreme similarities, but there are still a lot of differences. Both are great. If you haven't read the Sookie series, I would definitely recommend it. The show is pretty darn good too!

QOTD: I am so proud of myself. No Halloween candy at all! I usually can't stop, but this year we didn't buy any so we don't eat it. The husband and I are both trying to lose a few pounds. I'm happy to say I am almost back to what I weighed in High School! =)

I may be WAY behind the curve with this since I've been out of the loop for a couple of weeks... but I finally saw the final Twilight trailer and was blown away. It gave me the chills! I think it looks fantastic, and I really think the movie is going to exceed my intial expectations.
Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee »

I love twilight, I love the show trueblood. I haven't been reading the books, but i may start..

If you think about how similar the two stories are,maybe its because the supernatural is the same no matter were you go. Vampires drink blood, some people are special and can read minds, see the future and control people. Shape shifters are the same and a love triangle is a love triangle. There are many differences between the two. I've come to notice that Trueblood is not nearly as romantic and sweet as Twilight.
While Bill is very much a gentlemen and Sam is a cute scruffy dog, its very vulgar.. except for the last episode with Bill and Sookie, other then what he did to her, the rest was very sweet and tender.
if you read, or watch anything with the supernatural it all has this similarities.
it would be like saying anyone who wrote about Vampires Ripped off Anne rice and thats just stupid.
Last edited by Lynzeee on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

una wrote: What really irks me, I have had adults, yes-adults, come to my house to trick or treat. Once, I had two ladies with an infant, all three had a bag and wanted candy. Now, infants do not eat candy, but I understand taking them around to show them off in cute costumes. Did I mention these ladies did not put the child in a costume?!? :evil:
No way! I can't believe would do such a thing. :o I would be so embarassed to go around. I'll be doing my two week student observation at a middle school when Halloween rolls around. I'm still debating whether or not to dress up.

It's homecoming week at the high school. Today's theme is 80s day. I didn't dress up, but I'm making up for it by playing 80s music in my office. It's strange to see that all the girls dress like they're in Flashdance and the guys just have jean jackets with the collars up. These kids need to go and rent the Brat Pack movies. :roll:
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

I'm going to an 80's birthday party next month, and I'm taking my friend, Suzi. It's my favorite gay guy's birthday, and so we have to look fabulous. I'm compelety stumped on what to wear. Suzi is going dressed very 80's punk. I want to look more mainstream pop-ish. I really can't figure it out.

I have the hair for any 80's style, so that's no problem. :lol: I just need help with an outfit. Please help me!

As for Halloween, we don't decorate here either. We also don't decorate the outside for Christmas. KNE's philosophy is that the lights and decorations will point out where we live. Our neighborhood has really gotten worse since we moved here 9 years ago. I'd like to feed our neighbors to the Volturi.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

GNE 80's theme, well the first thing that came to mind was either total head to toe neon or the whole Flashdance vibe. Geez it's been so long ago, I totally forgot what was popular to wear back then, maybe my suggestions don't help but no harm in trying.

As for Halloween, we don't decorate either. My son has grown out of the trick-or-treating thing (thank God) because coustumes get expensive and every year we had to buy a new one because he grew so fast or was into something else. I will always remember the year he was Blue from Blues Clues and he was totally embarassed when I showed him the picture and let him know Blue was a girl. Come to think of it, he was the Green M&M one year who was also a girl (but that was the only M&M costume that they had in his size and he wanted to be the same thing as his cousin. He hates it when I bring those incidents up.

We don't really buy candy because no one really comes around where I live and most of the kids are older and aren't into it anymore, which I don't mind because it saves me money and I don't have to worry about having to finish off all the candy.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

Twilight Moment: Whenever we go out to eat and someone asks me for a name, I never give them my real name. (They only ask for "a" name not "my" name.) It makes for some very amusing conversations over dinner. My mother started it when she didn't want the staff singing Happy Birthday to her at Tony Roma's. She told them her name was Carol and they sang to Carol. We laughed for 30 minutes without stopping. Whenever we go to dinner with friends they always have to ask "What name is our reservation under?" I went to lunch withT-pa today and when they asked me for a name to go with my order, I told them my name was Alice. I think I'm going to use nothing but TW names from now on.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Kymberli
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Kymberli »

QOTD: How much Halloween candy have you already eaten?! I haven't had any candy in a long while. I love it, but it doesn't love me. It is going to be very tempting on Halloween, becasue I am working losing some weight.(lost 15 pound so far :D ). My favorite is DOTS...I didn't like them as a kid, but I love them now.

As far as dressing up and going trick or treating...I grew up with the rule that it stops when you reach 12. I have not with problem dressing up... at any age it is fun! My girls are dying for me to put up some Halloween stuff...I guess that I am going to do that Saturday .

NiMa....I love your Twilight Moment.... :D . I think that I might have to try that the next time we go out