Gex X--the 30 something thread

BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by BlueStarlight »

Welcome, Celestial! I love your name! It's always fun to have new people join.

GNE- aw, I hope you feel better soon. I was sick, too over the weekend- not fun.

Ah, Christmas!!! It's my favorite holiday! My birthday is December 18, so I'm in a happy mood for that, too. We had hand-made ornaments when I was growing up. We had the painted wooden kind, and the clear ones that you put the plastic chips in and baked in the oven... my mom still has some of those! We also had those kind that were wrapped in some sort of silk thread-- ugh-- the cats always shredded those! I absolutely DETEST those shiny glass balls! My cat has broken so many of those over the years! Since I got married 10 years ago, I've taken it upon myself to make ornaments for the family. I started off doing cross-stitched ones, then moved to some painted ones, then beaded ones, etc. I haven't found one to do this year, and I realize that I need to get in gear!! I love Christmas music, too. I start listening to it after Thanksgiving, though. Halloween is a bit too early for me... probably because it's still warm here in Texas on Halloween. If it were cold, I'd probably get in the Christmas mood a little earlier.

O my goodness! Seriously! There are people out there who don't know the dates of Christmas and other holidays? Dear! I have a female cousin who stated a couple of years ago, "so, Thanksgiving is on a Thursday this year, right??" This happened at a family dinner, and the whole group in the dining room turned to look at her and just belly-laughed! Her mom said, "Uh, honey, it's on a Thursday EVERY year." We won't let her live that one down! It was tooo funny.... and my cousin was 20 at the time! :shock:
inspired
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by inspired »

Thank you, guys for the warm wishes...doh!
ChristinasHeadache wrote:But I didn't have the date right! lol I thought it was the 20th and then after I cleaned up from Thanksgiving I would be heading off to the Theater for the midnight release of Twilight :lol: So I had to thank my husband for clearing up the confusion for me now I know I have an entire WEEK after Twilight to see it every day until Turkey time!
Don't feel bad,Christina, I had it wrong too! My friend was going to drive 3 hours back from her in-laws to see the midnight show after Thanksgiving dinner. We felt pretty dumb after someone told us that Thanksgiving is on the 27th...duh! :oops:

GNE Leg Warmers?! WOW, that brings back some memories. Did they have fish net gloves with the fingertips cut out, too? :D

WELCOME CELESTIAL!

re: The Christmas date confusion...some people are really out there! I got married on Christmas Eve so my husband and I would never forget our anniversary. Lord, help me if I forget when Christmas Eve is!!
Last edited by inspired on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
found by MMETP, courtesy of em3228 @ photobucket
ChristinasHeadache
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by ChristinasHeadache »

inspired wrote:
ChristinasHeadache wrote:But I didn't have the date right! lol I thought it was the 20th and then after I cleaned up from Thanksgiving I would be heading off to the Theater for the midnight release of Twilight :lol: So I had to thank my husband for clearing up the confusion for me now I know I have an entire WEEK after Twilight to see it every day until Turkey time!
Don't feel bad,Christina, I had it wrong too! My friend was going to drive 3 hours back from her in-laws to see the midnight show after Thanksgiving dinner. We felt pretty dumb after someone told us that Thanksgiving is on the 27th...duh! :oops:
Oh thank the stars I am not the only confunded person alive lol! At least we have it all square BEFORE it happened tho!! lmao!
eliselovesedwardx is my TwiTwin!
E<3B Team Edward, Knight in Shiny Volvo!
WreckingBall Operator in EDC Inc.~Lets break down some houses!~
Jr Staff Supervisor in Wingtear's Non-Veggie Vamp Cafe
Elisa the Spanker in Twilight Mafia

Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

BlueStarlight wrote:Since I got married 10 years ago, I've taken it upon myself to make ornaments for the family. I started off doing cross-stitched ones, then moved to some painted ones, then beaded ones, etc. I haven't found one to do this year, and I realize that I need to get in gear!! I love Christmas music, too. I start listening to it after Thanksgiving, though. Halloween is a bit too early for me... probably because it's still warm here in Texas on Halloween. If it were cold, I'd probably get in the Christmas mood a little earlier.
I make Gingerbread people ornaments. I have an actual recipe around here somewhere. I make them from flour, salt, water, and TONS of cinnamon with nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice thrown in. I cut them, and before I bake them I give them an egg wash. When they are cooled completely, I spray them with clear varnish. I then paint them. I prefer to hang them on the tree with raffia string for a woodsy look, but I've been using a red or green ribbon lately.

Gingerbread Person 1

Gingerbread Person 2
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Can you read me?????? Is anybody out there???

Sorry for posting this but I've replied twice on this thread and none of the posts showed :evil: I'm too tired to write all over again so...I guess you'll have to wait until tomorrow to read about my Christmas decorations :mrgreen:

By the way, part of the message was for Celestial...as a famous vampire we all know and respect would say, you're very welcome :mrgreen:
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

Ooo, my SIL made some cinnamon ornaments a few years ago--- I can still smell them when I open my ornament box! If you find that recipe, I want it!! The one my SIL gave me didn't work- boo!

So, I was checking Spike tv to set my DVR to record SCREAM 2008, because Cam Gigandet is supposed to announce the "Twilight" footage... gotta see that! Anyway... It's a "Star Wars" marathon this afternoon! They are showing "The Empire Strikes Back" right now. I'm going to go have some popcorn and Dr. Pepper and enjoy that handsome scoundrel Han Solo!!
EvrThinEvrMinEvrRs

Post by EvrThinEvrMinEvrRs »

BlueStarlight wrote:Ooo, my SIL made some cinnamon ornaments a few years ago--- I can still smell them when I open my ornament box! If you find that recipe, I want it!! The one my SIL gave me didn't work- boo!

So, I was checking Spike tv to set my DVR to record SCREAM 2008, because Cam Gigandet is supposed to announce the "Twilight" footage... gotta see that! Anyway... It's a "Star Wars" marathon this afternoon! They are showing "The Empire Strikes Back" right now. I'm going to go have some popcorn and Dr. Pepper and enjoy that handsome scoundrel Han Solo!!
of all the times NOT to have cable!!! *sigh* I know I shouldn't be too upset, since I have the trilogy on Dvd, vhs, and Beta (yes, that's right, Beta, and they are in PERFECT condition), but I still get all excited when I randomly flick through channels and find any of the Star Wars movies on...now to find out that my two obsessions will be somewhat combined??? Not fair...

Enjoy your afternoon, and have an extra swoon towards Han for me will you?

It really doesn't amaze me anymore how people can forget the days of the holidays. When I was working retail I can't count how many times I heard "I just don't understand why the lines are so long, and the store is so busy", ALWAYS during the last week before Christmas.
Last edited by EvrThinEvrMinEvrRs on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I love Christmas but I think that the meaning and intentions behind the holiday have been forgotten. It seems to be who can get the most presents, the bigger gift or the newest hot item in the stores.

Did anyone else have the metalic silver tree with the spinning color daisy wheel? Hopefully not. I remember we had a white metallic tree and my mom use to put blue silk balls on it. My God, looking back it was the ugliest thing.

I never forget when Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, Labor Day are because they are the only day's I actually have off of work (besides weekends). I work for a trucking company so it's almost 365 days a year.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
Variety

Post by Variety »

BlueStarlight wrote:Ooo, my SIL made some cinnamon ornaments a few years ago--- I can still smell them when I open my ornament box! If you find that recipe, I want it!! The one my SIL gave me didn't work- boo!

A few years ago, my mom wanted to re-do her tree decorations, but didn't have time. So, for her Christmas gift, I made her a whole new set of tree decorations, all based on a gingerbread man theme. One set of ornaments were those cinnamon ornaments. Now let me see if I can remember how . . . (it's been a few years, and I don't think I used a recipe.)

I think all I did was start with a can of applesauce. Yes, applesauce. Trust me, it works. Then you add enough cinnamon to make a dough. It takes a LOT of cinnamon. Start with less applesauce (maybe 1/2 cup?), and then you can see how much it makes, and make more if you want. But the big, huge (almost a carton) container of ground cinnamon. It takes several cups, I think. When it the consistency of a dough, roll it out, cut out shapes (I used a heart cookie-cutter) and poke a hole (small straw) in the top. Place them on wax paper and let them dry for several days. Turn them over occasionally and they'll dry more flat. When mine were finished, I tied a red ribbon through the top to hang them on the tree. I hope that's right. Like I said, it's been years. I could have been making it up as I did them, but the main gist of it is applesauce and cinnamon, let dry. After 5 years (or more), my mom's still smell great.
Where there is great love, there are always miracles. -Willa Cather
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Thanks for sharing your recipe, Variety! I think I'll try the applesauce instead of water. You're right about the cinnamon. I buy the cheapest cinnamon I can find - usually the 50 cent bottle at WM - and buy several bottles. I use probably 2 bottles at a time. I bake mine and flip them over a few times. Mine aren't always flat or smooth. I hadn't thought about letting air dry. I'll try that.

I wrap mine in tissue paper that I've sprayed with cinnamon oil and close them up in a large ziplock bag. They smell so good.

I also make snowmen, stars, & snowflakes using just water, flour, vamilla, and peppermint. I don't do an egg wash with these guys. I do, however, still spray them with clear varnish and then decorate.

I meant to say earlier that I also love Christmas music. I start Thanksgiving evening. Traditionally, after we came home from my grandmother's Thanksgiving dinner, we would drag all the boxes out to decorate the tree. I'm usually too impatient to wait that long. While in college, there were times I couldn't put my tree up until 10 days before Christmas. I hated that. I love my tree. I love looking at my tree. My tree is now usually up around the weekend of Thanksgiving. *squee* I cannot wait to start decorating.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!