Gutter Gals & Guys -- Rainbow Popsicles. The Discussion.

Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Re: Gutter Gals & Guys -- Rainbow Popsicles. The Discussion.

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

I go through reader's block as well. I went 2 weeks without picking up a book. Then I read Dark Hunter 3 and 4 in 2 days. I read from afternoon/early evening to early morning. I'm reading SVM #1 now. It's really keeping with the show so far...pretty much.

I like Alyssa Milano even though she was in some stinkers. She has the ability to come through anything looking great. Do you guys remember her Teen Spirit videos? Wasn't that her? Now I'm afraid it might've been Jennifer Love Hewitt. Nah, I'm pretty sure it was Alyssa.
Last edited by Goodnight Elizabeth on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

una wrote:Have you ever found yourself in a rut when reading? I've been reading a bunch of fantasy lately and even though they are good, I'm having trouble getting into the last series my friend loaned me. It's annoying, the book is starting out good but I just seem to, I guess, crave something else. I took a break and read the 8th Sookie Stackhouse, a paranormal collection of 4 short stories called Wild Thing and the Insider's Guide (BDB). I just picked up the First Truth book and I'm still stalling. Is there something called "Reader's Block" similar to writer's block? :shock: :?
Yeah, I've had Reader's block where I can't get myself to read. Lately, though I've been burning thru books as you could probably see from my shelfari but that's due to my slow momentum at work. I have to keep busy or else I get fidgety. Luckily, my job entails reading so I'm actually doing work. :mrgreen: I've also had bad reading after taste too. When I was in Spain visiting my baby bro for his study abroad last year, I picked up Blue Bloods and it was the worst book. I feel asleep twice. At first, I thought I was just too tired. Then I couldn't get past pg. 25 without cringing and then that told me to just leave it. I didn't find a good book after that in about 2 weeks or so. Currently, I'm rereading my favorite Bro's book again. Mmm..good. :twisted:
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
inspired
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by inspired »

Goodnight Elizabeth wrote: Do you guys remember her Teen Spirit videos?
Yes, I remember those :oops: ! I think I even might have owned the VHS *sigh*. That "excerise video" belong in a 1980's time capsule somewhere.
found by MMETP, courtesy of em3228 @ photobucket
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

GNE ever since I've seen Alyssa in Charmed, I've gotten past all that bad movie stuff. She's actually started to change her image and she's actually started to design women's NFL wear and I have to admit it's some really nice stuff.

I understand the reading rutt. I'm one of those people who can totally devour a book, then go without reading for months, then pick up a book but can't get through it and then stop reading until the urge hits again.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I also get reader's block or whatever we're deciding to call it. I try to avoid it by changing genre's every few books. Like I'll read the Twilight saga, then War and Peace, then some Forgotten Realms books, then Gone With the Wind. If I read too many books of the same genre back to back, I get burnt out on that genre and eventually get stuck in the middle of a book and can't finish it.

Unfortunately Twilight has kind of ruined me for other books at the moment. After I finished Breaking Dawn, I picked up Arabian Nights. I only made it about a quarter of the way through before getting stuck. Now I'm re-reading the Twilight series. Hopefully, once I'm through with that, I'll be able to get back into Arabian Nights. It's really good but it was going way too slow for me...way too many footnotes regarding the culture that broke up the flow of the stories.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
skylarblue
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by skylarblue »

I was actually on like my god know how many reads of HP before TW came into my life and I haven't stopped except giving time to listen to the audiobooks. Then I started reading the series aging.

I bought the Host but haven't really decided to read it yet. I go on a whim with books, when I get the urge to read, I will.

So, once I get past TW maybe I will let myself forget Forks, Bella, Jacob and the whole Cullen crew to nestle into the Host.
EDC Inc~New Trainee Supervisor~Team Emmett!
Team Kellan~Proud Klutzer!
MS Virgin & Randomness Irregular!
Tamalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tamalyn »

skylarblue wrote:I was actually on like my god know how many reads of HP before TW came into my life and I haven't stopped except giving time to listen to the audiobooks. Then I started reading the series aging.

I bought the Host but haven't really decided to read it yet. I go on a whim with books, when I get the urge to read, I will.

So, once I get past TW maybe I will let myself forget Forks, Bella, Jacob and the whole Cullen crew to nestle into the Host.
I would encourage you with every fiber of my being to jump into the Host!!! (I am triple-exclaimation-mark-serious)

It captures you, just like the Twilight books do; Stephenie uses the same writing 'voice' as the TW books, which is to say the style is the same, but her main character and narrator(s) are so opposite and different than anything you'd find in the Twilight universe.

I hope it's not sacrilidge to say so on this thread....but The Host knocked the TW series off of my personal number one favorite book spot. It's that good. Seriously.

Also.... I am so glad everyone enjoyed my gratuitous sloth photos. :lol: Sloths are always humorous, but ESPECIALLY when they are thuggish and trying to get you to fight them.
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

It took me forever, but I finished FS's Senior Picture Board (sorry about the glare from the flash). It goes on the entrance to the staduim tonight. Last night I painted the windows of his car with "Beat Milford" and "Tigers Rule" and his jersey number. This morning he stuck his head in the house after going out to his car to leave and said, "Seriously?" He thinks he's being cool, but I think he liked it. The attention if nothing else.

So why not start the day with a PSD? (For those of you who are new, we enjoy picking out actors - and actresses- who might be a good representation of our favorite fictional paranormal studs. Thus Paranormal Stud of the Day. Of course sometimes it's just a really hot guy that doesn't actually get assigned to a character, but who's quibbling over details like that?) This is gratuitus for those of us over thirty-five. (I'm enjoying the word gratuitus this week.) I give you Grant Show. I'm happy to say he's four years older than me! If we blonde him up a bit, he could pull of Nikolai? Dare I even suggest Zadist???
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Kymberli
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Kymberli »

Nima said "Dare I even suggest Zadist???" I can see it. I don't know the actors name, but I was thinking about the bad guy in The Scorpion King....Let me see if I can find him.
Ok I found a small one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/enterta ... _body1.jpg
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

Steven Brand is great in costume. A little too friendly looking when he's not. The general favorite for Z has been Wentworth Miller. Here he is with tats. Going to meet Bella's family in a suit. Don't forget that Z and Phury are idenitcal twins and I like picturing Phury in this suit as well. I really like this pretty one because I can see Phury in it.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry