Gen Y -- The 20 something's thread

Dazzled_by_Cullens
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Gen Y -- The 20 something's thread

Post by Dazzled_by_Cullens »

vampire_elf Glad you had fun at the Christkindlmarkt. Hope yout pary at work is fun! Wish we were having a Christmas party. Our office cut all Christmas celebrations this year to cut back on cost. My company just let got another 530 people. So this is the 2nd lay off/aka losing your job, that I have survived now. It makes me nervous.

Anyway, they are predicting another 12 inches of snow tonight!!! Seriously crazy. Wish I could send it to all of you who want it! :lol: OH well guess I can' control the weather.

Wingtear
Congrats and good luck on your wedding next week. Your ring is beautiful!!!
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread...I my LEXILY
sarina1113
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by sarina1113 »

Dazzled_by_Cullens MY office cut back Christmas celebrations too! We are having a small one today where we all just bring our own food and it's too bad....I'm a terrible cook. :?

Wingtear I think its beautiful that you're having your wedding on Christmas Eve! December is such a great month in itself. Winter Solstice. Well congrats and good luck!

Random: Why did I choose to wear a dress on the coldest morning ever! Oh work just stinks sometimes. Oh yea, and who's working on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve? ME!
J<3N
Q: Who's your favorite vampire? Edward Cullen or Bill Compton?
A: Well, Bill has quite the...uh... I'll just say Bill is my favorite for undisclosed reasons...

Cymbrelynn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Cymbrelynn »

Dazzled_by_Cullens That sucks about your holiday party. I work for a small non-profit and we only have 3 employees so even if times weren't so tight I don't know how much of a rousing party it would be anyway :) Good luck with keeping your job. You've managed to stay put through 2 big layoffs it seems so you must be doing something good! It's tough times with this economy, though...

Wingtear Congrats on getting married! I hope everything goes well for you!

Sarina Because sometimes we can't let a little thing like cold weather get in the way of a great dress! That severely sucks about working on the holidays. What do you do? Years ago I worked in retail at Victoria's Secret and I worked a 6AM-2PM shift on Christmas Eve. It was mass chaos. You wouldn't believe that adults could behave so childishly. Oh, and I live in Philly too!
"Your hold is permanent and unbreakable. Never doubt that." EC
My avatar is from emaleth@vesperarium!
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

vampire_elf- Have fun at your party today!
I work in a fairly small office and we didn't have a fancy Christmas party but it was still A LOT of fun. There's only a couple of us twenty-somethings here, everyone else is pretty much old enough to be our parents... so there's nothing like seeing your bosses and the older generation drunk (and bowling too!)
Cymbrelynn- I worked at Victoria's Secret for a total of 2 days :lol: I love shopping there but the girls at this particular store were just awful to work with.
I also worked at Walmart for like 2 years in high school so I know just how chaotic and crazy holiday shopping can be! Though no one ever got trampled and killed while I worked there, did anyone else hear about that Walmart employee in NY? Sheesh! Anyway half of me is glad to be out of the whole retail/waitressing type jobs cause I get to sit on my butt from 9-5 and have off weekends and holidays, but of course that can be very boring.
Dazzled- Glad to hear you've survived the lay offs so far... these are definitely scary times! And here I am getting ready to leave my job and move across the country. I probably could have picked a better time for that.
I'm feeling very jealous that Las Vegas has nearly a foot of snow and I have none!
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
vampire_elf
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by vampire_elf »

Christmas party was nice and it went on all day, so no one did any work! :lol: We always have the party in the office, just a get-together. We had open sandwiches from a really fancy shop and cake and sparkling wine. I work at a University and our bosses pay for the Christmas party themselves. So we ALWAYS have Christmas party. Most of the people working there are my age (except for the professors) and so it was fun.

Wingtear: so you'll have the wedding during the day and Christmas celebrations in the evening. That sounds great!

Dazzled: These are scary times, as CantBreathe pointed out but if you survived two lay offs so far you should be ok! I have a fixed term employment which will end at the end of 2009 (so I'm safe for now) and I will have to look for a new job then. I'm already scared and worried that I won't find anything!

Here in Austria we also celebrate Christmas on the 24th in the evening (fancy dinner and presents). That's the actual Christmas here. But of course there are always familiy celebrations on the 25th!
Last year my boyfriend and I had our first Christmas eve with just the two of us. I really enjoyed that! This year both our mums, his grandma and his brother will celebrate with us at our place! That's going to be fun too! :D

Still just rain and a bit of sleet here and they are predicting warmer weather now (8°C). No white Christmas for me, it seems.... :(

Banner by the amazing MRK!
Obsessed 20 something Twilighter
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

Some more pictures...
I'll tell hubby I'll have my hair like this, but all rolls to be green and all pins to be lime and he'll believe me...
Finished, rough test do, except the first the camera didn't snap when the hairdresser tried.
The dress (shot from mirror), my moms 30 year old one.
veil and do up close.
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

vampire_elf- Don't give up yet, I'm still crossing my fingers for a white Christmas here too! I'm also crossing my fingers that the economy will be in much better shape by the end of 2009!
Ninna- You are so beautiful! You look JUST LIKE a German foreign exchange student I was friends with in College except she had reddish brown hair. I love that you're wearing your mom's dress too, that's so sweet :)
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
vampire_elf
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by vampire_elf »

Wingtear: love that dress! And that it's your mum's...WOW! Beautiful (all of it)!

CantBreath: I'll keep my fingers crossed too (for both)!

I really should go to bed. Work tomorrow and another Christmas party in the evening (a real party this time) at one of my best friend's places - her parties are awesomness and a headache is guaranteed for Saturday! ;) And then I'll be hosting my own small party (just six people though) on Saturday evening.
Boyfriend's still a his Christmas party form work - I expect him to come home sometime after midnight. He probably going to wake me up again... :roll:

Banner by the amazing MRK!
Obsessed 20 something Twilighter
Sullie06
Learning to Love Green

Post by Sullie06 »

Hey everyone I'm pretty new around here...

I'm Lyndsay and I'm 25 and I live in wonderful Upstate, NY ( :roll: ). We actually have been getting a ton of snow around here lately too. Forecast to get a huge storm tomorrow (1 foot predicted) and then another on Sunday and one on Christmas Eve possibly.

Talking about Alabama, my mother's side of the family is from Alabama. My mother lived there until she was 27 and I live in Bama for two years back in 2001-2002. I miss it like crazy but were going back for a visit in Feb. :D
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

Hi Sullie06/Lyndsay
Welcome to the madness!
I'm Ninna, 24, from Finland/northern Europe
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK