Gex X--the 30 something thread

Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Do you guys remember Dance Party USA? I watched that everyday after school. It was awesome!
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

Goodnight Elizabeth wrote:Do you guys remember Dance Party USA? I watched that everyday after school. It was awesome!
That just reminded me of another fantastic 80s movie starring Helen Hunt and Sarah Jessica Parker called Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. If you want a good dose of 80s nostalgia, watch this movie!!
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

I loved Girls Just Wanna Have Fun! I used to watch that all the time. I still find myself singing the song every now and then.

So, on the way to work today, I was listening to the radio. I happened to be listening to NPR, which is out-of-the-norm for me. (I normally listen to an alternative music station if I listen to the radio at all.) During one of the frequent news break, the announcer said that President Dmitry Medvedev announced that his country (Russia) is going to grant diplomatic recognition to the Georgian separatist regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia. So, unless something happens to stop this recognition, the world will have two more countries.

Well, this news got me thinking about how much the world has changed since I was younger. I remember when:

* Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Estonia, Lithuania, and Latvia were all part of the Soviet Union (USSR). I also remember that the athletes in the Olympics represented the USSR rather than their individual countries.
* East and West Germany were separate countries, with Berlin divided by the Berlin Wall.
* The Czech Republic and Slovakia made up the country of Czechoslovakia.
* Slovenia, Croatia, the Republic of Macedonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia all made up the country of Yugoslavia.

Those are the major changes that I remember happening while I was in school. I know there’ve been a lot more changes than what I’ve listed. What changes in the world do you remember?
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Was Dance Party USA the one that took place in New Jersey? I watched a dance show that was in NJ and I had the biggest crush on some of the hosts. I wanted to drive to NJ and be on the show. Turns out that Kelly Ripa was one of the regulars on that show.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

I loved Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!!!! The dancer guy/SJP's love interest was smoking hot. I loved Helen Hunt. This movie brought us the line that every girl soon despised (or was it just me): "Tune in Tokyo".

Don't forget classics like Weird Science, Valley Girl, and Just One of the Guys. Premo movies!

Jenni, I bow down to you. You just impressed the heck outta me.

Bac: Yes it was! I remember when KR started on All My Children. I told my sister it was her. Do you remember the guy who looked like Kirk Cameron? wowza!
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

Goodnight Elizabeth wrote:Jenni, I bow down to you. You just impressed the heck outta me.
Thanks, but I can't take full credit. I used Wikipedia to help me get all of the countries right. ;)

I don't remember Dance Party USA, but that could be because my parents never allowed me to watch music/dance related TV. They were too paranoid of things similar to MTV and by similar, I mean music/dance that wasn't from the 50s. :roll:

It's so funny to realize who people are, though, speaking of people like Kelly Ripa. I just realized the the geeky kid from The Breakfast Club was Anthony Michael Hall. I loved him on Dead Zone, but I had no idea that he was the geek! :geek:
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Jenni! You cheated!! Shame on you! :lol:

It's amazing how cute AMHall is now compared to when he was "Farmer Ted" on Sixteen Candles. Oooh, how about John Cusack on Sixteen Candles? Or even Joan Cusack on Sixteen Candles?

What's the best pseudo-80's movie or tv show you have seen?
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

For those that need a little aid in remembering those fabulous 80's movies, he's a website I found that helped me out (I had trouble remembering the exact name of "Some Kind of Wonderful.")

http://www.fast-rewind.com/Browse.htm

I still loved the Breakfast Club, I don't know why. Maybe because Molly Ringwald is in it.... :D
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

The world has changed a lot over the years...by today's standards we should not be alive. Take, for example, car seats and high chairs. This is a photo of me at my cottage when I was one (July of 1973)...look to the right of the photo--that is my car seat. Can you imagine the uproar that would ensue if someone saw a child strapped into that today? My parents would have been thrown in jail for reckless child endangerment! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2 ... =792345074

When we were kids we played outside in trees and built forts with old rusty nails and planks. We rode our bicycles without helmets, skated around unsteadily on roller skates and skateboards with no padding (i still have the scars from that!), we drank water from the hose and ate vegetables from the garden without washing them thoroughly. We ate the sand in our sandboxes and didn't die.

Sigh. This rant has left me feeling old. ;)
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

.....Our mothers gave us honey, solid food at one month old....

I didn't even have a car seat, it was more of a baby holder.

We didn't have computers to do homework, papers, research. I hand wrote my papers in HS. Occasionally I would type on my parents old typewriter. Ahh, those were the days. Writing letters to family and friends instead of calling on cell phones, texting, emailing. No websites, facebook, myspace. No Lexicon...Ack!
by Laniyeah on photobucket