Gex X--the 30 something thread

Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by Pel »

Are you 30 something? Find other Lexiconers in your age group here.
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by bac »

I am a 30 something. I was born in the 70's and wore bell bottoms. I grew up in the 80's and went from rainbow shirts, to neon, to peg leg pants tucked into my socks. I graduated from college, got married and had my first child in the 90's. And so far in the 2000's I have had another child and supported my husband through med school. I love the lex!
by Laniyeah on photobucket
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I, too, am a thirty-something. I was a bicentennial baby and grew up in the 80's. I'm married but no kids yet unless you count the dog, the cat and my hubby! :lol: And like Bac, I'm thrilled and excited to have the lex back up and running!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Variety
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Variety »

I just found this thread and thought, even though I hang out in the gutter with other adults, I don't actually know who is closer to my age. I am also a bicentennial baby. I married young, have 3 kids, and now that my baby is in 1st grade, I'm going back to school to get my bachelor's degree.

BTW - Where in the world did the "Gen-X" term come from?
Where there is great love, there are always miracles. -Willa Cather
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I think that is what our generation was dubbed in the ninties. I'm not sure. What are you looking to major in, Variety? I must commend you for going back to school. It is not easy, but I'm sure you can do well!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Alice's Twin Sister
Wandering Through Town

Post by Alice's Twin Sister »

Hey wow... nice to see there are at least a few of us 30 somethings who love Twilight! I'm 35, am about to have my 11th wedding anniverary in September, and had my first child 3 years ago after 6 years of trying then finally saving the money and resorting to IVF. We hope to do IVF again to try to have a 2nd one maybe next year. We keep hoping for a natural miracle, but the Universe doesn't seem to want to play fair with us....sigh. I am an RN in a level 3 NICU in an active duty Army post hospital (civilian myself). My Hubby just changed jobs and now very happily works for a large Ice Cream/frozen novelties company with his sales route very close to home... a real relief for me. He used to work for a large super market chain and drove 83 miles each way each day... that sucked and I worried all the time about him. I was a real child of the 80's with my most vivid childhood memories happening in that decade. And, I so remember stuffing my pant legs intothe tops of my socks too! I don't remember much about the 70's other than loving Star Wars the first time it was played and roller skating at the local roller rink, and hating every minute of the elementary school I went to. And watching Hee Haw, Love Boat, and some other shows I am a little embarrassed to say i remember and watched! (Like the Donny and Marie variety show)....wow.

Alice Rules!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

I found a new home!

I was born halfway into 1970. My first drive-in movie was to see Planet of the Apes. I also saw Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back there. I had a lightbright, a Tumbleina, and Wonder Woman underoos. I loved The Captain and Tenille show. I had Toni Tenille's hairstyle until 4th grade. Then my mom made me get the Dorothy Hamill hairstyle. My other favorite shows of the 70-80's were Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Dukes of Hazzard, What's Happening, Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Dynasty, Dallas, Donnie and Marie Show, Battlestar Galactica, and Silver Spoon.

In the 80's I had an atari. My house was THE place to be because I had all the coolest games. I had anything and everything neon colored. I remember going to school with my neon orange mesh purse. It was cool. I also wore eyeshadow that was multiple lines of every color to form a rainbow. I was also a Duranie. I had 87 posters on my wall at one time. When I graduated the 80's fashions were at their best: 1 to 2 pairs of scrunch socks over jeans, tight-rolled jeans, reebok hi-tops, zippered jeans, jean jackets, leggings and an over-sized T shirt, and best of all---spandex shorts. WOW!! I hope those things never come back into fashion. Let's not forget Mall hair! I should have bought stock in Rave and AquaNet.

Other great 80's fashions: parachute pants, zippered jackets, tuxedo shirts...
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
Variety
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Variety »

Thanks, una. It's more than a little scary going back to school, now. I'm afraid all the youngsters are going to think I'm weird. Oh, wait, I am. I'm studying Sociology. I hope to be able to work in my small city for the city gov or library (we don't have one yet).

I don't have the best memory, so I can't think of anything else from the late 70's or 80's, but I remember when someone else brings something up. I am cracking up over the clothing you've mentioned. I pegged my pants, scrunched my 2 layers of socks, and had every neon color in my wardrobe. And the hair - the perms, the feathered bangs - I also should have bought stock in AquaNet.
Where there is great love, there are always miracles. -Willa Cather
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

Wow, it's great reading these! I was born in 1975 in Chicago, but raised in Texas. I had My LIttle Ponies, Peaches-n-Cream Barbie, one Cabbage Patch Kid, Rainbow Bright, Care Bears, a light bright, Fashion Plates (God, does anyone else remember that??). I was raised in a Christian school and a strict Baptist church, though... there were outrageous dress standards, but I was a rebel and tried to get away with as much as I could! LOL- I didn't wear pants as a result of this upbringing; but I did have the big hair of the 90s, wore 2 pairs of socks with my outfits, and tried to dress as close to "the worldly fashion" as those dress standards would allow. Good thing my hubby and I got out of that mess! Anyway, I LOVED the New Kids on the Block, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Diff'rent Strokes, Star Trek, The Goonies, Back to the Future, Full House, Family Ties, Growing Pains!! I had such a huge crush on Kirk Cameron!! Yeah, I had a perm and big bangs, and wore Wonder Woman underoos, too!!!
I'm going to celebrate my 10th wedding anniversary in January! We don't have any kids.
I watched Mary Lou Retton land her perfect 10s on the vault and wanted to be like her, so my mom enrolled me in gymnastics... that didn't last long. I remember the "Battle of the Brians" during the winter Olympics. The first President I remember is Ronald Reagan; I was in PE at school when the Challenger exploded, and will never forget that feeling. I distinctly remember writing 1987 on my papers for school and thinking, "God, in 13 years, it'll be 2000," and thinking that was such a long time away!!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Thanks for the flashbacks, Sarah Lynn. I was 15 and in the library when the Challenger exploded. I cannot listen to Night Ranger's "Goodbye" without getting teary. The earliest president I remember is Gerald Ford. Nixon was prez when I was born in 70.

We mentioned TV shows and movies. What about music? My very first 2 favorite songs (I can remember) were "Sundown" by Gordon Lightfoot and "Band on the Run" by Paul McCartney and Wings. I remember learning Paul McCartney had been in a band before Wings. :lol: Another song I remember falling in love with was Minnie Ripperton's "Lovin' You" ...la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la ..do do do do dooo ahh ah ah ahhh... yeah that's it.

I'll have to add more later. It's past my bedtime, and I have to be up early to teach high school students. I teach Dual Credit classes on MWF.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!