Gex X--the 30 something thread

jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by jenni_elyse »

My parents had a station wagon until I brother hit a deer and totaled it. And, yes indeed, we did sit in the very back. It was lots of fun. And speaking of seat belts, I don't think I started to wear one religiously until I was 16. My parents weren't used to telling us to wear seat belts, but once I started to drive, I have always worn one. Thankfully, they do too now.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
pixiealice
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by pixiealice »

We didn't have a station wagon, but I can remember driving from Ohio to the South Dakota when I was 6 with my grandparents. They were chain smokers...and drove with their windows up. Plus...NO AIR CONDITIONING!! We stopped at the Corn Palace, Dinosaur Park, Wall Drug, Mount Rushmore and that creepy mountain from Close Encounters-Bear Mountain? What was that called? Back then I thought that was the coolest vacation ever!! Plus some fairy tale park out there...can't recall the name but I remember thinking it was the neatest thing I'd ever seen! Why are family vacations so different now? They seemed so monumental back then.
scrapfaerie
Settled in Forks

Post by scrapfaerie »

Hi, I am new here and thought I would introduce myself. Nice to know that I am not the only one here over 35 lol I was starting to feel like a craddle robbing dirty old woman lusting after Edward lol.

I am 37 and have been married for almost 5 years, although my DH and I have been together for 13 years. We were on the long term marriage plan! We have one gorgeous daughter who will be 4 in November. She is my special gift. After trying for a year and not getting pregnant, I found out on my 33rd birthday that I was pregnant.

Being born in 1971 I remember alot of the music from the 70's. Music was huge to me. I loved it! I was a major Duranie back in the day...actually I still am. I just went to see them this past May and let me tell you they are still hot to me! I also just went to see Rick Springfield!

I look forward to getting to know all of you!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

welcome scrapfaerie! you are in good company because most of us are recovering Duranies. ;)

we had many station wagons over the years...we had to, there were 5 kids in my family on top of having at least one grandparent living with us part-time.

my favourite wagon, though, was indeed one with wood panelling. i cried the day dad traded it in for the smaller blue one. the only problem with the one with the wood panelling was that the 8-track tape machine was broken and the only song we could listen to was "Billy Don't Be A Hero" which still makes me shudder, even to this day.

we used to fight over who was going to get in the very back, except on long trips because I had motion sickness really bad and had to sit in the front with my mom and dad in case i got sick and we had to pull over suddenly. i spent many a trip to Prince Edward Island hunched over an ice cream bucket in the car or on the side of the road puking my guts out. sigh. those were the days. :lol:
lilac-and-lavender
Wandering Through Town

Post by lilac-and-lavender »

Alas our station wagon did not have wood paneling. sigh :cry: I do remember my Dad coaching my brothers soccer team and I think we fit like 10 kids in the back of the station wagon all sitting on our knees going to and from the game. Of course no seat belts :!: :?:

Love, love , love Duran Duran still. A friend was looking at my itunes the other day and laughed to see DD and a-ha and wham along side Meltallica, Green Day, MCR and Disturbed.

I had my first 2 kids when I was 18 & 19 and my next two when I was 29 # 30. Just the changes from the first two to the last two are amazing.

I kindof miss family ties and fantasy island, although I'm not really sure I really "got" fantasy island at the time

We had one of the early Atari systems. I remember my older brother trying to get me to play football with him which was 3 little rectangles on one side of the screen and 3 little rectangles on the other side of the screen. I can't even watch some of my older boys games now, the graphics on the racing games are so realistic I get motion sickness :oops:
Thank you Fry-You da'bomb
eeny meeny miny moe
Variety
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Variety »

Our station wagon was blue, sadly with no wood paneling. We used to fight over who got the back seat. We were always trying to be sneaky, doing what I don't remember. I just remember hiding what we were doing or reading in the back seat.

Oh, the Atari. I loved Frogger. That was my favorite. Then, my dad started teaching me how to program the thing. It was interesting - you had to type about 20 lines of code to make it do a simple little math equation, or something like that.
Where there is great love, there are always miracles. -Willa Cather
lilac-and-lavender
Wandering Through Town

Post by lilac-and-lavender »

Wow, I'm impressed you learned how to program it, way farther than I ever got. Although the Atari was more my brothers thing than mine. I remember when he got a stock market game and finally beat it. He celebrated like the money was real.

I think I was more into book and rollerskating at the time.
Thank you Fry-You da'bomb
eeny meeny miny moe
dazzle_me
Settled in Forks

Post by dazzle_me »

I was born in 1978 and remember so much of what everyone has mentioned here. When i was in grade school, my mom had my hair big and feathered and I wore a LOT of corduroy. I remember being about 5ish and seeing Stevie Nicks on an album cover and thinking she was a princess b/c she was so pretty and told my mom I needed to dye my dark brown hair to blond...LOL I have been a big Fleetwood Mac fan ever since. I remember kilicko vision (spelling?) and atari....I was in 4th grade when the 1st Nintendo came out and we would play Mario Bros. endlessly. I loved the Thundercats, the Smurfs and Ducktales. L.A Gear was a big deal in grade school - the jeans with the ribbed things on the sides...LOL! If you had the jeans, shoes and jacket - you were a style icon. I know this is sorta of a early 90s thing, but anyone remember the Hyper-color shirts? They were the best! Mine when from purple to pink :D
If you love something, set it free...if you REALLY love something, watch it sleep through a window.
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

dazzle_me wrote:I know this is sorta of a early 90s thing, but anyone remember the Hyper-color shirts? They were the best! Mine when from purple to pink :D
I wanted a hyper-colour shirt but sadly, it couldn't be found in the hand-me-downs from my older siblings, so i never experienced the joy of having my armpits turn purple while the rest of my shirt was yellow (or some other variation). I also missed out on Chip & Pepper, but thanks to the generosity of a rich friend of mine, i had the best Vuarnet shirt in town and the only Ralph Lauren Polo jacket in sea foam green. ;)

My biggest joy in high school, and now considered one of my biggest shames, was my knee-length, acid-wash jean jacket that i saved up my babysitting money for for what seemed like forever! Eventually someone clued me in to the fact that it was hideous at that length and much to my mother's chagrin i hacked it off at the waist and wore it as a short coat for a while.

*shudders*

Someone mentioned a-ha, I was obsessed with their first cd. I would listen to it constantly! Hunting High and Low was one of my favourite songs back then.

As for the Atari, my uncle gave us a 2600 with about a million games when he bought the 5200 for his kids and it blew up our tv. Wait though, there was a silver lining...my dad finally broke down and bought a colour tv after the black and white blew up, and then, since we didn't have cable and we had this bright, shiny new colour unit, he actually bought cable! Oh joy! It was the beginning of a long love affair with American TV.
Sarah-Lynn

Post by Sarah-Lynn »

I never had a hyper-color shirt; didn't know about that until you posted it. Coca-Cola shirts were HUGE in the early 90s around my friends! I had a hot pink one.

Atari- man, those cartridges were finiky! We played ours so much that we had to be very gentle inserting the cartridge. If we jammed it in there too hard, then there would be nothing but vertical lines on the screen. You had to put it in there just right or wiggle it to one side in order to get the full screen to come up! It was so annoying!!

LA Gear! Two words.... high-tops!! Why, oh, why, did we think those were cool??? LOL- I had a pair of LA Gear high-tops that were white with purple and turquoise accents... *dies of embarrassment*

Does anyone remember Pony pens??? I had one in EVERY color for school! And what was the name of line of school supplies that were purple, pink, blue, and turquoise?? They had geometric shapes and sunglasses. There were binders, notebook paper, matching pens! GGRRR... I can't remember the name! I went to a strict Christian highschool, and I bought some of those things... eventually, the staff thought that stuff was "too worldly" and banned it!!! But I sure did love it!